Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lowering springs

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2012, 12:21 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Lowering springs

Newb question, I don't know much about what is entailed in lowering springs for f-bodies.

But I just bought an eibach pro-kit from lmperformance. Do I need to have anything else to go with the kit? I came from mustangs which needed c/c plates for lowering kits to prevent improper wear on tires, but I don't know if an issue exists with f-bodies for that.

I plan to new shocks down the road when money frees up a little more.
Thanks in advance.
Old 03-24-2012, 05:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You dont need anything extra but its highly recommended to change shocks at the same time.
Old 03-24-2012, 07:54 PM
On The Tree

Besides a rough ride what are the negatives of putting the springs on before the shocks?
I realize that it will be rough on the shocks as well, but I've seen plenty of people post their mods saying they have lowering springs but no shocks.
How long do they deal with it before they buy shocks.
Old 03-24-2012, 08:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

It will ride extremely bad, may not handle much better and the stock shocks will probably not last long at all. Other than that, go for it if you want to deal with it or you're just after the looks. I mean, the stock Decarbon shock was manufactured to handle the stock spring rate and ride height and it doesn't do that very good at all. So, I can't imagine how bad they would suck with lowering springs.
Old 03-25-2012, 12:08 AM
On The Tree

I won't be putting the springs on before I get shocks. I'm just curious, don't want to damage the car.
Old 03-26-2012, 08:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not being a d*ck but those are the worst springs made for these cars. I yanked them off my old LT car and put stockers back on within the first three weeks. Stranos are prolly the best for these cars and BMR has copied their spring rates and are good too. Hotchkiss are nice and would be my third pick.

Koni is the shock of choice and Bilstein would be the only other shock i would spend money on for a lowered car...
Old 03-26-2012, 09:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 147 Likes on 133 Posts

I believe you need an adjustable pan hard bar and then an alignment.
Old 03-26-2012, 01:18 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by SOMbitch
Not being a d*ck but those are the worst springs made for these cars. I yanked them off my old LT car and put stockers back on within the first three weeks. Stranos are prolly the best for these cars and BMR has copied their spring rates and are good too. Hotchkiss are nice and would be my third pick.

Koni is the shock of choice and Bilstein would be the only other shock i would spend money on for a lowered car...
THIS^^^ Give Sam Strano a call, good honest guy that can answer all your questions. BMR as well, sry forgot the guys name from there but hes also cool and has lots of good info.
Old 03-26-2012, 02:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

When you lower your car the geometry of the suspension changes and your rear end may shift so you will require additional parts to get it correct again. Most of the time this means a requirement of an adjustable panhard bar. This allows you to re-center the rear end after you lower it as it may have shifted over after lowering. Some people also like to run LCA relocation brackets as well as adjustable LCAs... but this is not required. Adjustable LCAs will allow you to move the rear end front to back if it is off that way. Also depending on the size of your tires (really just 315's+) you may need your fenders rolled. I did all of this on my car already and am putting on Strano Springs and Bilstein shocks this Thursday. I cannot wait! Also, regarding running lowering springs with stock shocks... you can run this its not like going to damage your car, BUT it will ride poorly as the stock shock is not good in the first place. It will also greatly reduce the life of your shock. I would not run lowering springs on the shitty stock decrapos.
Old 03-26-2012, 07:28 PM
On The Tree

While thank you for your input, you don't have to tell me that I bought the "worst" spring for our cars. I'm not getting mad or butt hurt at this comment, I mentioned that I already bought the springs, was asking if I need anything else to go with them, not how bad the springs are.

People put these springs on their cars all the time, its a matter of opinion. Thank you for everyone's input.
Old 03-26-2012, 07:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

The guy that owned my car before me put those same springs on with the decarbons, I never had any problems. I just but the stock ones back on but that was due to clearance issues not a problem with the springs.
Old 03-26-2012, 08:01 PM
12 Second Club

Definitely upgrade shocks.
Old 03-26-2012, 10:58 PM
On The Tree

I called Strano, I left a message. Unfortunately he is a little backed up so I haven't heard back from him yet. I've seen a lot of posts with people running these springs and "revalved" bilsteins?

I checked his site and he has two sets of bilsteins listed: Bilstein HD and Bilstein Shocks
Which one is the one I should be looking at?
Koni's aren't out of the question either, I just need input from people which setup would be best for street applications. It's just my dd, don't drive aggressively, don't drag race, maybe look at trying autox to see if I like it.
But I'm just looking for a good stance that doesn't wear on the car too much. I liked the stance that eibach pro-kit gave other peoples cars, so that is why I purchased them.
Old 03-27-2012, 08:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MeMz
I called Strano, I left a message. Unfortunately he is a little backed up so I haven't heard back from him yet. I've seen a lot of posts with people running these springs and "revalved" bilsteins?

I checked his site and he has two sets of bilsteins listed: Bilstein HD and Bilstein Shocks
Which one is the one I should be looking at?
Koni's aren't out of the question either, I just need input from people which setup would be best for street applications. It's just my dd, don't drive aggressively, don't drag race, maybe look at trying autox to see if I like it.
But I'm just looking for a good stance that doesn't wear on the car too much. I liked the stance that eibach pro-kit gave other peoples cars, so that is why I purchased them.
The Bilsteins are basically the same now. They used to have 2 different kinds that actually were different but that was a while back. When I called Strano a few weeks ago he got me the ones for $380. I am putting my bilsteins and Strano springs on this thursday, I will let you know how it rides. I didn't go for the konis because they are 3x more expensive, and I will not be road racing my car so I don't need the best. But, Koni's are on sale right now... so if you got the cash now is the best time to buy them... I think they are 20% off.

Last edited by udienow; 03-27-2012 at 08:36 AM.
Old 03-29-2012, 11:46 AM
Teching In

I just Got bilsteins from Strano, and am putting them on next week. Strano is an awsome guy to talk to, he is dead honest. I would continue to try and call him.
Old 03-30-2012, 10:58 AM
On The Tree

Good lord, SOMEONE post what they think compared to before the switch to strano, and after the switch to strano springs, and bilstein shocks. I'm in the same boat as you udienow. I don't do any racing. So, my thought is the bilsteins will work. Let me know.
Old 04-06-2012, 09:35 PM
On The Tree

I bought bilsteins, they feel great IMO. Not a crappy ride at all
Old 04-06-2012, 10:02 PM
Staging Lane

I have the pro-kit, bought them from a guy on here... Already had bilsteins for about 2500 miles, decided it was time to lower it. I have to say, regardless of what you may hear, the eibach springs are good to go, and my ride quality (vice stock decarbons and springs) is better. The stock springs were better than the eibachs, for handling bumps and the like, but the body roll is much worse. You could do worse than a pro-kit with bilsteins.
Old 04-06-2012, 10:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

from what I under stand , you can't use bilsteins if you lower the car more then 1".BMR has a Konis & bmr lowering springs for $722 + shipping.check the suspension section.
Old 04-08-2012, 11:11 PM
Staging Lane

You'll love the stance of the pro-kit, its perfect but i do scrape(im guessing LT's) on my driveway if i don't go slow. I dont think i could go any higher of a spring now. IMO i think the ride is pretty good.( not sure of what shocks, just got the car). I mean our cars are not floating caddys over bumps, their performance cars. I even have 2 12's in the back. Very little body roll is always a good thing too. It's all preference. Good Luck and you might want to get an alignment after install.

Quick Reply: Lowering springs