Old 03-29-2012, 07:44 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have access to NADA.

Rough Trade-in / Ave. Trade-in / Clean Trade-in / Clean Loan / Clean Retail
Base:-------------- $7,475 $8,600 $9,500 $8,550 $12,200
Mileage Adjustment: $2,725 $2,725 $2,725 $2,725 $2,725
Options Adjustment: $0 $0 $0 $0 $0

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Adjusted Value: $10,200 $11,325 $12,225 $11,275 $14,925

- Of course IMO certain cars command more dollars from groups of buyers based on desire. So somewhere in the mid teens for a car that has held its value better than most is not a bad thing.
Old 03-29-2012, 11:43 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Isaiah Gamboa
ohhh ok. yea he told me all that today except for the tranny part
good luck on trying to get him to come down on price
Old 03-29-2012, 02:02 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackScreaminMachine
No 4th Gen F-body is rare in the sense of what other rare cars that other people recognize. But be that said SOM and NBM are some rare/premium colors that people look out for.
I definitely wouldn't classify NBM as a "rare" color, especially compared to SOM.

On firebirds alone, there was somewhere around 15,000-16,000 NBM cars built from 98-02. There were something like 1,800 SOM firebirds built from 00-02.
Old 03-29-2012, 02:44 PM
Internet Mechanic

It's rare enough. It's a Premium Color and depending on interior, drive train it can be. Since its a metallic they are not as common as the base reds, blacks, whites. Purely based on statistics you see the % of each but perception is reality. I can throw a rock and hit 3-4 black fbodies with black leather interiors.

If you want rare, look up 1998 and 1999 Color charts (some 97's with Corvettes), MANY VERY unique colors and got the axe due to not having over 2% of the total number of production cars to carry over.
Old 03-29-2012, 02:48 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,780 Likes on 1,269 Posts

Originally Posted by MasterTomos
I definitely wouldn't classify NBM as a "rare" color, especially compared to SOM.

On firebirds alone, there was somewhere around 15,000-16,000 NBM cars built from 98-02. There were something like 1,800 SOM firebirds built from 00-02.
Yep. Nothing rare or premium about NBM.

You have the common colors that are very popular and that many people like, such as bright red and black. Then you have the rare colors, some of which have a special following, such as Hugger Orange, BGM, BPM, SOM, MBM, BGC/MTM, SGM, etc. And finally you have the "average" colors inbetween....such as NBM, white, silver, pewter, etc.
Old 03-29-2012, 04:01 PM
Teching In

ohhh ok. yea he told me all that today except for the tranny part
Kind of a bummer about the trans issue, especially since he didn't even disclose it to you. Its a few grand to replace an M6. I'd move on just for the principal of it.
Old 03-29-2012, 04:24 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Someone bought that car today.
Old 03-29-2012, 05:25 PM

yea i decided not to after i found out about the trans. atleast not for that price. but thanks everybody. im still on the hunt. yall know any online sites besides ebay and craigslist that i can look at
Old 03-29-2012, 06:13 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

yall know any online sites besides ebay and craigslist that i can look at
Autotrader.com and cars.com.
Old 03-29-2012, 10:10 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's rare enough. It's a Premium Color and depending on interior, drive train it can be. Since its a metallic they are not as common as the base reds, blacks, whites. Purely based on statistics you see the % of each but perception is reality. I can throw a rock and hit 3-4 black fbodies with black leather interiors.

If you want rare, look up 1998 and 1999 Color charts (some 97's with Corvettes), MANY VERY unique colors and got the axe due to not having over 2% of the total number of production cars to carry over.
Premium color doesn't make it rare IMO. I see a ton of NBM cars. Now Sport Gold Metallic, I think I've seen one of those in person. Actually, the NBM's smallest year % from 98-02 was 10.7% of cars that rolled off the line...that's actually a really good chunk when you're talking 12+ available color options from 98-02
Old 03-29-2012, 10:50 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by MasterTomos
Premium color doesn't make it rare IMO.
I'm not sure how anyone could call any color that was offered for these cars a "premium" when there was zero additional cost associated with the selection of any color offered. To me, a premium color suggests that there is additional cost associated with ordering said color. The only exception might be a color that is only offered as part of some other additional cost premium package, such as the yellow issued only on collector edition Trans Ams, etc.
Old 03-30-2012, 06:48 AM
Internet Mechanic

Well its going to be one of those IMO type deals.

IMO I rarely see White WS.6's and IMO I would look to expect to pay more for one vs. what's in the statistical material. But again we are talking over an entire model year and when you can break down between v6 and v8's and then of the v8's the different trims, and then break down driveline and interior the numbers shrink significantly but I do not think anyone has that sort of precise break down.

In the end the buyer's preference will determine how the car selling/buying exp goes and OP is dead set on SOM, he will make that happen.

There is no illusion that I am partial to mine with the Taupe Leather Int and M6 and to be honest have not come across a same one every but maybe in a different region there is the NBM Firebird Society that all meet for bowling and beers....

*** last little note when it comes to color rarity. This was back I wanna say 2003-4 and we had a friend that was a big Ford guy. Owned a clean Green Notch LX that was fast. Welp he wanted a F-150 Lightning and his deal was it was Dark Shadow Grey which on regular Mustangs are common but he had researched on how it was a RARE color for the trucks and for the most part he was right. Well flash forward after getting the truck we go to Lebanon Valley Drag way in NY and a bunch of guys came up and let him know they had the exact same truck and like pointed out 3 of them over in the parking lot.

Long story short, he coveted the color, found out in a different area of the country they were a bit more common, and with in a month sold the truck. Extreme? I would think so but Just saying Perception is Reality.

But I get it. It's not Rare, I just think it is. Which in this case is wrong. Maybe if I had the Original Purple and not Burple they call NBM that be a different case.

Last edited by BlackScreaminMachine; 03-30-2012 at 07:24 AM.
Old 03-30-2012, 12:09 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Well its going to be one of those IMO type deals.

IMO I rarely see White WS.6's and IMO I would look to expect to pay more for one vs. what's in the statistical material. But again we are talking over an entire model year and when you can break down between v6 and v8's and then of the v8's the different trims, and then break down driveline and interior the numbers shrink significantly but I do not think anyone has that sort of precise break down.

In the end the buyer's preference will determine how the car selling/buying exp goes and OP is dead set on SOM, he will make that happen.

There is no illusion that I am partial to mine with the Taupe Leather Int and M6 and to be honest have not come across a same one every but maybe in a different region there is the NBM Firebird Society that all meet for bowling and beers....

*** last little note when it comes to color rarity. This was back I wanna say 2003-4 and we had a friend that was a big Ford guy. Owned a clean Green Notch LX that was fast. Welp he wanted a F-150 Lightning and his deal was it was Dark Shadow Grey which on regular Mustangs are common but he had researched on how it was a RARE color for the trucks and for the most part he was right. Well flash forward after getting the truck we go to Lebanon Valley Drag way in NY and a bunch of guys came up and let him know they had the exact same truck and like pointed out 3 of them over in the parking lot.

Long story short, he coveted the color, found out in a different area of the country they were a bit more common, and with in a month sold the truck. Extreme? I would think so but Just saying Perception is Reality.

But I get it. It's not Rare, I just think it is. Which in this case is wrong. Maybe if I had the Original Purple and not Burple they call NBM that be a different case.
Nobody pays more for a white F-body simply because it's white, it's just not worth anything extra in the general market. Now, that's not to say that someone out there wouldn't be willing to pay more to get exactly what they personally want, but the demand isn't high enough to justify paying more in general. Don't get me wrong, I personally like white very much, but most people would rather have a red or black car, which is why those colors are more common.

On the other hand, you have a color like Hugger Orange. I think this is just about the only color that usually causes an instant and universally accepted bump in price. It's not THE most rare color, but it has a certain combination of rarity and popularity that creates a demand which inflates the price. Not all rare colors will have a premium added to their price on the used market; actually, for the most part, a color is rare because it was NOT popular to begin with, so in general you aren't going to find many people that will pay more just to get it. Of course, there are those that seek out rare and unique things and might be willing to pay more, but it's not going to be the norm and you might have to wait a very long time to find a willing party at an inflated price.

NBM is about as common as silver, and although I personally LOVE silver, I make no mistake about the fact that it's just an average color. In most years, silver and NBM are right in the middle of the pack in terms of commoness, with NBM sometimes being more common than even silver.

I can't imagine selling a car (or truck) simply because the color turned out to be less rare than originally thought. Then again, I'm not the sort of person that gets overly excited about owning rare things just because they are rare. From a spectator point of view, I think rare factory options are cool to see; but from an ownership perspective, I really don't care at all about the rarity of my cars, I just care about getting the options that I personally like regardless of how common they may or may not be.
Old 03-30-2012, 01:17 PM
Internet Mechanic

Like said, its based on opinion.
Old 03-30-2012, 01:53 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Like said, its based on opinion.
Preference is based on personal opinion, rarity is not. Rarity is, however, subjective to it's position within the whole.

If they build 100 units of a certain car in 4 different colors, and yours is 1 of 25 in that color, as rare as "1 of 25" sounds, it's not really rare at all as compared to it's percentage of the whole. Conversely, if they build 600,000 units of a certain car in only 4 different colors, and yours is 1 of 5000 in that color, then it's extremely rare as compared to the whole, even though "1 of 5000" doesn't really sound all that rare in general.
Old 03-30-2012, 02:21 PM
Internet Mechanic

And I hear you, still have my opinion. Not asking you to change it for me regardless of the statistics.

Something is worth or better yet how much a person is willing to pay for something is based on their opinion. How whole entire financial system is based on opinion. Modded cars often are not worth what it is due people opinions that mods do not add value.

I guess one way of looking at it, regardless of how many were made, you can have a situation where if someone decided to buy up and destroy these cars you can have a case of what was considered common now rare.

This is all semantics and I can argue that all day but I don't feel its needed. I hear you on your opinion on how you feel how rare should be fewed but does not mean your right.

In the larger scope of things, NONE of these 4th gen cars for the entire production line is not considered all that valuable. You do get a few cars that are the exception but my car and bout 99% of the others have devalued all the same.

So does RARE really mean anything? I guess, I just think we are looking at 2 different sides of the same coin. IMO.

Calling this one beat to death, but more then willing to talk in PM if anyone wants to. I have plenty of room.

Last edited by BlackScreaminMachine; 03-30-2012 at 02:36 PM.
Old 03-30-2012, 04:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Autotrader.com and cars.com.

Cars.com is how I found mine.

Also, when it comes to colors, I agree that no color offered makes it any more collectable. The only color that I haven't seen in person is Bright Purple Metallic. According to compnine, only 13 other cars were built the same as mine in 2000, but I know that this doesn't make the car anymore special than the next.

Last edited by Exeodus; 03-30-2012 at 04:20 PM.
Old 03-30-2012, 07:19 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

And I hear you, still have my opinion. Not asking you to change it for me regardless of the statistics.

This is all semantics and I can argue that all day but I don't feel its needed. I hear you on your opinion on how you feel how rare should be fewed but does not mean your right.
I disagree. Rarity is not really an opinion at all, it's a state that is subjective to total build quantity, not personal preferences. It could be argued that the exact point at which something becomes rare is up for debate or a matter of opinion, but where a certain color (or any option really) falls within it's percentage of the whole is not really up for debate nor a matter of opinion at all. Since NBM is literally a middle-of-the-road color percentage wise, it's simply not a "rare" color no matter what your opinion is of it. It's not about liking nor disliking it, it's just the statistics.

Your NBM car may be rare in your specific area, and if it makes you feel better to consider it rare then so be it. But it doesn't mean that the color is actually rare to the rest of the world or to anyone looking at the original production specs.
Old 03-30-2012, 08:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
It's not about liking nor disliking it, it's just the statistics.
What statistics? Sure, you have the original production numbers of all the color and option breakdowns out there, but those are not really 100% relevant in our current times because nobody really knows an exact number of how many out of the bunch (NBM, Pewter, Artic White, etc., etc.,) are actually still out there in decent shape. If a group of buyers doesn't see them that often, wouldn't that drive up the price and rarity factor amongst the group? With that said, I'm in agreement with the BlackScreaminMachine, I feel like a lot of it has to do with how buyers perceive things.

Maybe I'm missing the point of what you're saying though, but I'm just wondering, not trying to start a flame fest here at all.

Quick Reply: need help buying 2002 ws6