Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need help buying 2002 ws6

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 09:51 PM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TransAmWS.6
What statistics? Sure, you have the original production numbers of all the color and option breakdowns out there, but those are not really 100% relevant in our current times because nobody really knows an exact number of how many out of the bunch (NBM, Pewter, Artic White, etc., etc.,) are actually still out there in decent shape. If a group of buyers doesn't see them that often, wouldn't that drive up the price and rarity factor amongst the group? With that said, I'm in agreement with the BlackScreaminMachine, I feel like a lot of it has to do with how buyers perceive things.

Maybe I'm missing the point of what you're saying though, but I'm just wondering, not trying to start a flame fest here at all.
Your not wrong, that is exactly what I am getting at. He wishes to argue the point on put stats which only talks about color vs year and no real indepth break down past that point. If the car was not made from the factory in such a low number that would be some where in the range of less than 1%, it can never be rare. Even if it be 50 years from now and there is one survivor left. So all those guys with survivor cars should not feel that special I guess.

Everyone can do as they feel, I know how I feel and when it comes down to it everyone has that right.

Old 03-30-2012, 11:05 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,702 Likes on 1,220 Posts

What statistics? Sure, you have the original production numbers of all the color and option breakdowns out there, but those are not really 100% relevant in our current times because nobody really knows an exact number of how many out of the bunch (NBM, Pewter, Artic White, etc., etc.,) are actually still out there in decent shape.
The only real specs we can possibily go on are the original production numbers. Nobody is keeping a ruuning total of how many cars are destroyed over the years. If you want to ignore original production specs, then it would be just as logical to argue that red or black might have become rare as well, since there is no telling how many of any color have been destroyed. It would be completely pointless to speculate on whether or not a disproportionate amount of a certain color have been destroyed over the years, because without a running count it's all just guessing, and guessing would be far less relevant then looking at production specs from only 10-14 years ago.

If a group of buyers doesn't see them that often, wouldn't that drive up the price and rarity factor amongst the group?
Not necessarily. Just because something is rare doesn't automatically drive the price up.....like I posted earlier in this thread:

"On the other hand, you have a color like Hugger Orange. I think this is just about the only color that usually causes an instant and universally accepted bump in price. It's not THE most rare color, but it has a certain combination of rarity and popularity that creates a demand which inflates the price. Not all rare colors will have a premium added to their price on the used market; actually, for the most part, a color is rare because it was NOT popular to begin with, so in general you aren't going to find many people that will pay more just to get it. Of course, there are those that seek out rare and unique things and might be willing to pay more, but it's not going to be the norm and you might have to wait a very long time to find a willing party at an inflated price."

With that said, I'm in agreement with the BlackScreaminMachine, I feel like a lot of it has to do with how buyers perceive things.
I still don't see what perception or preference has to do with actual rarity. I think the point you are both supporting has more to do with personal preference than actual rarity. I don't have all the production specs memorized, but I do recall that for 1999 Camaros, there was something like twice as many NBM cars built as silver cars. That being the case, if you consider NBM to be rare, then a '99 silver Camaro would be super rare. But then there were colors that were even more rare than that, so would you then call them super super rare? I guess I just think that the term "rare" is often overused by people that want to assign some sort of special title to something that they happen to like.

Originally Posted by BlackScreaminMachine
He wishes to argue the point on put stats which only talks about color vs year and no real indepth break down past that point.
No. You are putting words in my mouth. I've been talking about color all along, that was the entire point. If you want to break it down further to specific cars, then it's very possibile for even a black car, with other rare options, to be much more rare than an NBM car with more common options....even though black is a super common color. But this was never our debate. This began with your initial statement that NBM was a "rare and premium" color, which is simply not true. No color was a premium option, because there was no additional charge for any color selection on these cars when new, and on the used market there is no universally accepted mark-up for an NBM car that makes them worth more on average then comparable cars of a different color. And NBM paint always fell in the middle (percentage wise) of the color production chart. That's all I've been saying, and nothing about that is a matter of opinion or perception.

Originally Posted by BlackScreaminMachine
If the car was not made from the factory in such a low number that would be some where in the range of less than 1%, it can never be rare. Even if it be 50 years from now and there is one survivor left. So all those guys with survivor cars should not feel that special I guess.
You are comparing apples to oranges here. Any 50 year old car is rare compared to the average car on the road today. But what we're talking about here is color rarity as it applies to a given car's peers. Amongst 50 year old cars, some colors will be more rare than others, making some more common that others. That's just how it is. I'm not sure why anyone would NEED to convince themselves that their car is rare just to feel special about it. I guess I live a much simpler life, I just buy what I like and like what I buy, I don't gain or lose pleasure based on how rare or common it is....all of that is just statistics to me, which are facts and not open for debate no matter if you like them or not.

Last edited by RPM WS6; 03-30-2012 at 11:12 PM.
Old 03-31-2012, 11:21 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I will absolutely found agree with you that based on % produced. NBM is not rare due to the statistical data. But beyond that is a different argument. Which I will fight but this beyond the scope of the OP.
Old 03-31-2012, 12:16 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm sure it's been stated but seems like people equate "rare" with "valuable". Not the case most of the time.
Old 04-02-2012, 10:08 AM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
I disagree. Rarity is not really an opinion at all, it's a state that is subjective to total build quantity, not personal preferences. It could be argued that the exact point at which something becomes rare is up for debate or a matter of opinion, but where a certain color (or any option really) falls within it's percentage of the whole is not really up for debate nor a matter of opinion at all. Since NBM is literally a middle-of-the-road color percentage wise, it's simply not a "rare" color no matter what your opinion is of it. It's not about liking nor disliking it, it's just the statistics.

Your NBM car may be rare in your specific area, and if it makes you feel better to consider it rare then so be it. But it doesn't mean that the color is actually rare to the rest of the world or to anyone looking at the original production specs.
I have to agree with this statement. Rarity is based solely on statistical numbering. Color alone is a minor property of the car, and yes some will seek out to find the color of their choosing, however many more wont (buy one b/c of a good deal and add appearance mods to make it more appealing). In the end my point is this: when compared to the total production of NBM cars made 98-02 with the number of people that will ONLY seek out to find that specific color, there isnt enough a substantial difference between the supply and demand to make that color (or really any color) "rare". Now on the other hand, there are many guys that would love to own a GMMG ZL1 2002 car, the production numbers are low and the number of people that would want to own one are pretty high, thus the demand for the car is alot higher that supply, creating the "rare" effect. Whereas, the supply meets the demand in most other "color production" numbers. One single property of the car doesnt quite have the same effect.
Old 04-02-2012, 10:14 AM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Interesting philosophical convo none the less!!!

Quick Reply: need help buying 2002 ws6