New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

For those pesky tune ups and that horrible last spark plug! see this!

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 12:15 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so for those of you who want to attempt the tune up on your camaro/firebird trans am! i have done it and will show you how easy it really is, and how NOT hard the last spark plug is. Click my link here on my instructional video so that i can help your tune up as easy as possible!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_eYx4suuEys

Please feel free to share this with other sites an friends and such!
Old 04-05-2012, 09:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

number 8? get it from underneath...its a breeze
Old 04-05-2012, 09:20 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by sjsingle1
number 8? get it from underneath...its a breeze
including jacking up car, laying on back. this is by far easier.i wuld probably have it out before the car is even jacked
Old 04-05-2012, 09:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks for sharing. I plan to tackle mines this upcoming Saturday. I actually posted a thread a short time ago asking whether it was safe to move that AIR hose out of the way on the passenger side so I can get to #8, glad to know I can. Don't have the type of driveway to be jacking up a car.

Were you able to reconnect everything? I read that you can't re-use that gasket on the AIR pump once it's disconnected for whatever reason. Also, does your car feel any better after this or not really?
Old 04-05-2012, 10:04 PM
Staging Lane

thats not true, ive disconnected my AIR hose atleast 3 times and put it right back on. idk how much you care about it but if you wanna get the AIR pump Block off, that would be the time to do it for them. and you will know if its leakign exhaust out of it, ull get tons of back ifres from you engine bay. if you have any more questions or anythign hmu. mike-warren107@live.com
Old 04-05-2012, 10:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ok cool, nah, don't need to move the AIR block off I don't think. As long as I can get that hose itself out the way I should be able to get to #8. Thanks for your help man! I'll be bookmarking this video.
Old 04-05-2012, 10:45 PM
Staging Lane

np man. and you can def notice the difference with the new plugs. especially from really old ones. what plugs and wires r u goign with?
Old 04-05-2012, 11:35 PM
Teching In

Good video I thought. I need to do this soon, so thanks.
Old 04-06-2012, 10:20 AM
Launching!

you know snap on makes a certain socket to remove the pluggs with ill get the part number
Old 04-06-2012, 11:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by mike.warrenws6
including jacking up car, laying on back. this is by far easier.i wuld probably have it out before the car is even jacked
5 min......tops
Old 04-06-2012, 11:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

btw.......i have headers now..............so from the top is the only way to go........oh how i wish i had my manis back on
Old 04-06-2012, 07:14 PM

mad because im just now seeing this
Old 04-06-2012, 07:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

Hrmmmmmm
Old 04-06-2012, 07:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

np man. and you can def notice the difference with the new plugs. especially from really old ones. what plugs and wires r u goign with?
Good to hear. I'm going with the NGK TR55's and MSD 8.5mm Super Conductors, just waiting for them to come in the mail now. The stock plugs that are on my car right now are gapped at like 0.70 and I think stock is 0.50, so they are pretty screwed. What plugs/wires did you use on yours and what did you gap them at? Just out of curiosity.

Sorry for all the questions just trying to get this all figured out, haha.
Old 04-07-2012, 12:12 AM
Staging Lane

lol i didnt even check the gap on my spark plugs i just thru them in. they perform perfectly. so im hopeing they are alrdy pre gapped.and for my wires. heh, well i went with some sexy looking FAT 10.2 MM wires. http://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/...rk-plug-wires/

work great an look mean
Old 04-07-2012, 06:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ramps.

They make working on the car more comfortable anyway, as you're not bent over the fender so far.

8 was a snap for me from underneath, I did the wire that way as well. Of course I have skinny guy arms and hands, so maybe that made the difference, lol. I also left the coil rail, I tried to pull it, but that last bolt foiled me, I spent way too much time on it. Goot tip on getting to it. Only thing I had to pull when I did it was the AIR fitting on the exhaust manifold in from of #2 plug. And no, I didn't need to replace the gasket either, although I had bought a new one just in case.

I had a harder time with #6 actually.

Last edited by StuntmanMike; 04-07-2012 at 06:18 PM.
Old 04-07-2012, 08:30 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by StuntmanMike
Ramps.

They make working on the car more comfortable anyway, as you're not bent over the fender so far.

8 was a snap for me from underneath, I did the wire that way as well. Of course I have skinny guy arms and hands, so maybe that made the difference, lol. I also left the coil rail, I tried to pull it, but that last bolt foiled me, I spent way too much time on it. Goot tip on getting to it. Only thing I had to pull when I did it was the AIR fitting on the exhaust manifold in from of #2 plug. And no, I didn't need to replace the gasket either, although I had bought a new one just in case.

I had a harder time with #6 actually.

Yeah i dont have long skinny arms so going from under wasnt happening. That last bolt on the coil pack is a breeze once you take off the heater hose. dont put the bolt back on either, i threw it off into the grass as far as i could lmao. and yeah i think removing the AIR bracket is a must for the first 2 plugs on the passenger side. and yea, no new gasket for the AIR bracket either haha.
Old 04-08-2012, 01:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great vid, man.

I've always done mine from underneath without much trouble, but I am equipped with long, skinny arms. Maybe that's why the Underneath Method has worked for me. Either way, its nice to have options when you tackle any job. Good job, man.
Old 04-08-2012, 02:31 AM
9 Second Club

I change my plugs and wires from the top.
Old 04-08-2012, 02:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I must have seriously skinny arms because I put my knee on the battery, put my right had on the intake manifold and snake my arm back in there, done it that way several times never a problem.

Quick Reply: For those pesky tune ups and that horrible last spark plug! see this!