New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Getting to 150MPH stock. Can it be done?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 07:23 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I kind of chuckled when I saw this thread title. Stock LT1 cars were advertised to do 155 mph so of course a LS1 car will do it. Been there, done that stock.

What I haven't been on in about 4 years is a top speed run. I know I'm going to need a GPS at this point. Waiting on these Yokohama's to die so I can justify getting new tires, I haven't had Z-rated rubber in a long time.
Old 04-11-2012, 07:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Over here in Germany, if you're not doing 100mph, you'll be passed up by Audi & BMW station wagons. No lie. So there is your debunking of 'it's not safe to do those speeds'. It's legal here and some parts of the US. *cough Montana cough*

If you're trying to do 150 in America, I advise it is a closed road, good conditions, and pleanty of room, especially in a stock LS1 FBody.
Old 04-11-2012, 07:53 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by MasterTomos
with bolt-ons my '95 did 166mph clocked via GPS
You cannot use a GPS for speed calculations. PERIOD.
They are horribly inaccurate and unpredictable.

I have a picture of the GPS unit that was in my truck for awhile. It showed my max speed at 187mph... which we all know is bull$hit.

The only real proof or evidence of a vehicle's speed capability is running it through a set of timing lights. Even speedo's can be spoofed with a simple gear swap.

That said... I will believe a stock speedo sooner than I will believe a GPS unit.
Not saying your car didn't do 166... just saying... "don't always trust the GPS"
Old 04-11-2012, 07:55 AM
On The Tree

friday nights 2-3am wide open 4 lane highway me and my buddys 5.0, i buried the speedo at 155 and still had more... 5.0 not even in sight lol, ran out of room, and im pretty much stock.... its the other people you have to worry about when your speeding...if you know how to control your vehicle you will be fine.

meanwhile im on my 2nd diff
Old 04-11-2012, 08:59 AM
On The Tree

Not necessarily, at least not technically, 216SS. The freak occurrence of a parts failure could always send you through a guardrail at 155, but I'm willing to take my chances honestly.

I will never shun somebody for going an otherwise crazy to me speed so as long as they took the best precautions they could to do so safely. No top end daylight pull gets respect from me, unless you're running on one of these three or four mile long straight stretches out in the desert.
Old 04-11-2012, 09:06 AM
TECH Resident

I think the t-top sound that people have referred it is actually negative air pressure pulling the tops of the windows out and breaking the seal. Mine does that around 140. Don't try it with the t-tops out because it get crazy windy. I have pegged mine once (on an empty road with no other cars and good visibility). I do HPDEs and on one of the tracks I hit 120 to 140 every lap.
Old 04-11-2012, 09:54 AM
On The Tree

Check the condition of the t-tops, weather striping, etc. These cars will hit 160 bone stock, it will be noisy, but it should not feel like the car is about to implode. Ignore the fact that some people decide to put on the "politically correct safety police" act when someone mentions high speeds.

Do keep in mind that these cars were not really designed with autobahn handling and stability in mind, they can get light and twitchy at speed.
Old 04-11-2012, 10:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Yullose
You cannot use a GPS for speed calculations. PERIOD.
They are horribly inaccurate and unpredictable.

I have a picture of the GPS unit that was in my truck for awhile. It showed my max speed at 187mph... which we all know is bull$hit.

The only real proof or evidence of a vehicle's speed capability is running it through a set of timing lights. Even speedo's can be spoofed with a simple gear swap.

That said... I will believe a stock speedo sooner than I will believe a GPS unit.
Not saying your car didn't do 166... just saying... "don't always trust the GPS"
Mine was within 2mph of the speedo the whole time until I ran out of speedo

Originally Posted by Arctic2002ss
I think the t-top sound that people have referred it is actually negative air pressure pulling the tops of the windows out and breaking the seal. Mine does that around 140. Don't try it with the t-tops out because it get crazy windy. I have pegged mine once (on an empty road with no other cars and good visibility). I do HPDEs and on one of the tracks I hit 120 to 140 every lap.

Yep and mine does it around the same speed and only on the driver side....
Old 04-11-2012, 10:54 AM
12 Second Club

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Arctic2002ss
I've hit triples with t-tops off only a few times...the car feels really light in the rear and I'm guessing there is some lift going on. Not something I want to test out.
Old 04-11-2012, 10:04 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by NVUSZ28
Over here in Germany, if you're not doing 100mph, you'll be passed up by Audi & BMW station wagons. No lie. So there is your debunking of 'it's not safe to do those speeds'. It's legal here and some parts of the US. *cough Montana cough*

If you're trying to do 150 in America, I advise it is a closed road, good conditions, and pleanty of room, especially in a stock LS1 FBody.
Which parts of montana are we talking about
Old 04-11-2012, 10:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sepsis
I'd like to join the 200 mph club some day.
yea, thats my goal for this car too. then i want to do the same in a vette which will be much easier
Old 04-12-2012, 09:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

http://www.us-highways.com/montana/mtspeed.htm
Old 04-12-2012, 10:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

i don't see why the t tops would fly out, thats an old tale. My race car still has t tops and sees over 150 in the 1/4. You would have to leave them unlatched to make them fly out
Old 04-12-2012, 10:19 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,761 Likes on 1,258 Posts

Originally Posted by ZTwentyAteU
i don't see why the t tops would fly out, thats an old tale. My race car still has t tops and sees over 150 in the 1/4. You would have to leave them unlatched to make them fly out
The tops have metal rods which engage metal tabs mounted to the roof, and sometimes these tabs get pushed out of adjustment. If that happens, then not enough of the rod will engage the tab and they won't be secure even if you have them latched in place. This is how they sometimes blow out at speed.

You can check and adjust the tabs by removing the plastic covers on the body side. If you rarely remove the tops though, then chances are they're still adjusted just fine.
Old 04-13-2012, 09:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I've done it many time in the middle of the night on an abandoned stretch of highway.
Old 04-13-2012, 09:07 PM
On The Tree

Let's not underestimate the po po in these situations. Getting stopped for doing well over 100 CAN be a seriously bad thing depending on the cop (as in every situation). And yes, a smart cop will get you because he will follow at a lower speed with no lights on until you slow down, not even knowing he/she is there. Just another aspect to.

I'm not yo mama tho.
Old 04-14-2012, 06:09 PM
Teching In

OHP caught up with me after I passed a trooper going 154 in a 70 on an empty highway. Pulled me over, came out gun drawn, and pulled me outta my car by my collar. 6 months probation, $1300 in tickets, and defensive driving was awfully lenient of the DA and it taught me a lesson.

The car was a 1LE suspension SS with only a lid and a tune at that point. It was still pulling when I let out.

Last edited by HexT; 04-14-2012 at 06:18 PM.
Old 04-14-2012, 08:43 PM
12 Second Club

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

Damn that hurts.
Old 04-14-2012, 10:59 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No kidding that would suck! I've heard of worse stuff though so i guess that's good at least. 150 takes a little stretch to get up to..
Old 04-15-2012, 03:13 PM
Teching In

Hi from germany, been here 22 years. Now driving 98 ws6 with hptuners, new instrument from Granatelli ( 200 mph) and Sts turbo. I drive almost once a week at 180 mph. Seen 200mph a couple of times...

I remember when i was a kid in Canada and driveing my dads caddy at 100mph , what a kick that was... Lol

Sorry for all you stateside , having to break the law doing it.
Please drive safely

Only mod thats i suggest is lowering, great shocks and springs ( i had qa1 but wasnt happy, now have KW with adjustable stiffness and ride hight) proper high speed tires, great alignment, not to much camber. In germany the tire manafacture can give a speed garantie if you give weight of car and alignment details. ZR dosnt really mean unlimited. Thats why porsche ferarri and other high speed cars have special tires requirements not just ZR !

And yeah its really really loud.

And stopping I have 6 piston calipers up front, originals are not made for the Autobahn.

Hope that helps!

Quick Reply: Getting to 150MPH stock. Can it be done?