Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New LS1 Owner.. Please help!

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2012, 01:29 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New LS1 Owner.. Please help!

Ok here is the deal, I recently bought a 1999 Camaro Z28. The car seems to run good I guess but it has a few problems I need advice on. The security light is on, airbag light is on, she's light came on then burned out and needs replaced, the codes popped for o2 sensors.

I am hoping to clear some of not all the lights and do a tune up to the car because it has 137xxx miles and I don't believe it has ever had a tune up.

This is my first ls1 so any and all advice is welcomed, and if there is anything else I should do please let me know...

Also, I am trying to keep it somewhat low on price as I am only a senior in high school and don't have a ton of money...

Thanks in advance!
Brenda
Old 04-14-2012, 07:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My security light goes off and on too because of a malfunction with the notoriously problematic VATS (vehicle anti theft system). It reads the little metal resistor in the key when you start the car. Sometimes it causes my car to not start with the key, forcing me to use my remote start (good thing I have that). And sometimes it starts with the key just fine. You can do a search on here to find a relatively cheap and easy way to fix the VATS problem.
I also happen to have the SES light on because of an O2 sensor. The car still runs fine, although my gas mileage may be suffering a bit. Also a relatively cheap and easy fix that I'll get around to eventually, not a big priority.
Old 04-14-2012, 08:00 AM
Launching!

for the airbag light might be the SIRs coil its a spring that turns when you turn the steering wheel and keeps the connection for the airbag, do you have radio controls on your steering wheel if you do and those arnt working either, than the Sirs coil is probably broken which would disable your air bags and cause the light to come on, as for pulling O2 codes what codes did you get? i assume you mean the ses light bulb burnt out if thats the case you have to pull out the speedometer cluster and change the bulb out from behind, the security light issue im not sure never had that issue. YES i would defiantly do a tune up and have the spark plugs replaced if you do them your self there are several wright ups on how to do it just search for it , changing the spark plugs isnt that bad the only one that is a pain, is the one on the last cylinder on the passenger side if you take it to somebody take it to a good mechanic that has done ls1 before some places will charge you a arm and leg to replace spark plugs because of the one thats on the last cylinder on passenger side
Old 04-14-2012, 08:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

People might make fun of me but I just had a mechanic change my plugs while he was changing my front shocks (another big PITA with these cars). Screw it, it's not my fault that GM decided to shove half of the engine under the cowl.
Old 04-14-2012, 12:22 PM
Staging Lane

Any adivce on what plugs and wires? I want something good but not extremely expensive. Also is there anything else I should do to it?

I will have too look at my codes again, I don't have my receipt from autozone handy at the moment, when I get them I will post it.
Old 04-14-2012, 12:28 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by TransamGCS
for the airbag light might be the SIRs coil its a spring that turns when you turn the steering wheel and keeps the connection for the airbag, do you have radio controls on your steering wheel if you do and those arnt working either, than the Sirs coil is probably broken which would disable your air bags and cause the light to come on, as for pulling O2 codes what codes did you get? i assume you mean the ses light bulb burnt out if thats the case you have to pull out the speedometer cluster and change the bulb out from behind, the security light issue im not sure never had that issue. YES i would defiantly do a tune up and have the spark plugs replaced if you do them your self there are several wright ups on how to do it just search for it , changing the spark plugs isnt that bad the only one that is a pain, is the one on the last cylinder on the passenger side if you take it to somebody take it to a good mechanic that has done ls1 before some places will charge you a arm and leg to replace spark plugs because of the one thats on the last cylinder on passenger side
I do not have the steering wheel controls, so how would I know if it is the VATS or the SIRS coil?
Old 04-14-2012, 01:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

As far as plugs and wires you can't go wrong with a set of MSD wires and NGK TR55 spark plugs. I really can't help you with the Vats and airbag light sorry OP.
Old 04-14-2012, 01:10 PM
Launching!

Spark Plugs youll want NGK tr55 and i personally like MSD wires go to nastyperformance.com they have the best price on the plugs and wires they come as a package. The VATs has to do with the chip on the ignition key not the SIRS coil, the sirs coil is what connects to the air bag i dont know how to tell if its the sirs coil is causing the air bag light what i do know if the coil spring is broken that will cause the airbag light to come on cause their will no longer be a electrical connection to the air bag and the coil is in a housing so its not like you can remove the air bag to see if the coil is broken when you replace the sirs coil you replace the whole housing i think the coil costs a little less than 200 bucks so depending on your mechanical skills you might want to have that installed professionally
Old 04-14-2012, 01:30 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by TransamGCS
Spark Plugs youll want NGK tr55 and i personally like MSD wires go to nastyperformance.com they have the best price on the plugs and wires they come as a package. The VATs has to do with the chip on the ignition key not the SIRS coil, the sirs coil is what connects to the air bag i dont know how to tell if its the sirs coil is causing the air bag light what i do know if the coil spring is broken that will cause the airbag light to come on cause their will no longer be a electrical connection to the air bag and the coil is in a housing so its not like you can remove the air bag to see if the coil is broken when you replace the sirs coil you replace the whole housing i think the coil costs a little less than 200 bucks so depending on your mechanical skills you might want to have that installed professionally
I'll check those out. Thanks!

As for the whole airbag thing I read somewhere that you don't really have to worry about it, it won't screw with emissions or anything and I heard people just put take over the bulb or take it out so it doesn't show. Since I am taking the gauges out any way I might just do that, any advice on if that is a good idea or not?
Old 04-14-2012, 02:00 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Brendan11
I'll check those out. Thanks!

As for the whole airbag thing I read somewhere that you don't really have to worry about it, it won't screw with emissions or anything and I heard people just put take over the bulb or take it out so it doesn't show. Since I am taking the gauges out any way I might just do that, any advice on if that is a good idea or not?
well thats entirely up to you i mean its a safety thing so... just know that if the air bag light is on that means the air bag is inoperable so if you get into a accident the air bag will not deploy.
Old 04-14-2012, 02:41 PM
Staging Lane

I may just deal with the light and whenever I get the money have someone check it out and fix it. Any ideas on price?

Sorry for all the questions, just new to this and looking for advice..
Old 04-14-2012, 03:51 PM
Launching!

If you end up needing a new aigbar sensor (under center console) I have mine sitting on a shelf in the garage. $25 shipped.
Old 04-14-2012, 04:14 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by DETROIT_AREA_00_SS
If you end up needing a new aigbar sensor (under center console) I have mine sitting on a shelf in the garage. $25 shipped.
I may just do that and see if it fixes it. But I read somewhere those things have to be mated to the car and airbags?
Old 04-14-2012, 04:27 PM
Launching!

No that I am aware of, I see them for sale quite often.
Old 04-14-2012, 04:48 PM
Staging Lane

Ok, I may take you up on that then..
Old 04-18-2012, 07:56 AM
Teching In

Your security light coming on and not letting you start the car may be related to bad solder joints in the Body Control Module (BCM). I had that issue and fixed it by re-soldering the circuitboard of the BCM. Took maybe an hour, 55 minutes of which was wrestling the stupid thing out from under the dash.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-l...blems-fix.html
Old 04-18-2012, 10:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 527 Likes on 333 Posts

Could be the Key. Don't those have the transponders in them. Maybe try a new key.

Quick Reply: New LS1 Owner.. Please help!