Old 05-31-2012, 07:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Smile

ARH. top notch LT.
Old 05-31-2012, 11:11 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

QTP's with the high velocity merge collector...or american racing headers which are kinda overpriced but thats just my opinion, to be honest im very happy with my pacesetters bought for 400 bucks and i really couldnt justify spending 500+ dollars more for very minimal gains on my stockish motor just wasnt worth it to me.
Old 05-31-2012, 11:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Alberto v05
What are some of the best headers to get on my stock 1999 z28 m6. Thanks
you are going to get 90 different answers to this question. in the end it goes like this. stay away from SLP headers unless you want horrible fitment and practically no ground clearance. the rest of the brands all pretty much perform the same with minor differences that really arnt worth the price between them IMO. keep in mind the larger the collector and primary, the more power the headers can make. other than that its really up to you. most 1 3/4 primary headers are pretty much the same exact thing just under a different company name. alot of ppl here will push the kooks 1 7/8 primary headers on you but they are ridiculously overpriced and honestly unless you plan on having a 500hp ls1 in the next few months then you dont need them. if your just doing some minor bolts ons for a little more power-- A. you wont feel a difference between 1 3/4 and 1 7/8, and B. but your wallet will.

but if you want someone to make the choice for you, pacesetter or bbk and be done with it. best fitment period.
Old 06-01-2012, 02:27 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by usnfenix
you are going to get 90 different answers to this question. in the end it goes like this. stay away from SLP headers unless you want horrible fitment and practically no ground clearance. the rest of the brands all pretty much perform the same with minor differences that really arnt worth the price between them IMO. keep in mind the larger the collector and primary, the more power the headers can make. other than that its really up to you. most 1 3/4 primary headers are pretty much the same exact thing just under a different company name. alot of ppl here will push the kooks 1 7/8 primary headers on you but they are ridiculously overpriced and honestly unless you plan on having a 500hp ls1 in the next few months then you dont need them. if your just doing some minor bolts ons for a little more power-- A. you wont feel a difference between 1 3/4 and 1 7/8, and B. but your wallet will.

but if you want someone to make the choice for you, pacesetter or bbk and be done with it. best fitment period.
Thanks for the info and truth be told your right about getting different answers for headers, I'm assuming with a new camshaft, headers, intake should give me about 430 horse somewhere close to that ballpark so i just want to know what headers will be good for that set up
Old 06-01-2012, 04:53 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Best? Probably Kooks, Arh.
Old 06-01-2012, 06:19 AM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Kooks,arh are the best but on a budget the tsp1/7 8th stainless headers are a good buy, if your looking for something cheap my pacesetters have been great for 3 years, but im going to swap to the tsp stainless
Old 06-01-2012, 07:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went with ceramic coated pacesetters,tsp ory,with a qtp cutout on the i-pipe and that's worked for me.
Old 06-01-2012, 12:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Alberto v05
Thanks for the info and truth be told your right about getting different answers for headers, I'm assuming with a new camshaft, headers, intake should give me about 430 horse somewhere close to that ballpark so i just want to know what headers will be good for that set up
unless you plan on getting a monster cam with a tune then you wont be at 430 hp. an example a typical ls1 with a 224/224 texas speed cam or even 228/228, with headers will only see about 365 to 370 to the rear. as far as intakes go if you do not already have the ls6 intake i would just go ahead and do that. unless you plan on spending a grand for the FAST intake any other intake isnt worth it. the ls6 is the best you can get before the FAST intake, and even if you do go with the FAST you will only see a 10hp increase maybe. if you want 430hp you will need more than cam and headers. if you want a monster cam you can get close but sacrifice driveabilty and gas mileage. a smaller cam like the 224/224 will not hit hard on those areas and with supporting mods can get you there. save money and get 1 3/4 headers instead of the expensive kooks, and look into other bolt ons such as a/c delete or the electric water pump. or just go get your factory heads ported and your TB ported. in the end ***** in your court but whatever cam you go with i would highly recommend a tune.
Old 06-01-2012, 01:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Typically you won't get over 400rwhp with a cam unless you go with a very large one. 430 is probably a typical street heads/cam setup. Unless you are talking about flywheel hp (advertised hp on cars from factory) then you should hit ~430hp

usnfenix hit the nail on the head about the headers, not much left to say on that one haha

Quick Reply: best headers for my z28?