Sponsored by:

What to do next???

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2012, 03:38 AM
On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Default What to do next???

I have a 98Z I bought in August. The car is modded. List of mods:

S7cam, Fast90, NW 90, ETP heads, subframe connectors, adj panhard bar, koni shocks, bmr springs, slp lid, bellow, Strage 9", full exhaust inc. lt headers and cutout, vfn hood, engine has about 1000 miles on it. Dynoed at 455rwhp 400rwtq.

LCA's and relocation brackets should be here next week. Went with J&M.

Are my fuel rails and pump enough for my power level? I don't know if he upgraded the pump or not. No hatch cut under carpet. It does have 36# injectors.

Also, when the engine was rebuilt before I bought it the shop said #7 was ran lean and that is why it needed tore down. New piston, rings, ARP rod bolts, Melling oil pump, O2 sensors, were installed. I bought it right when it left the shop. He had to have it rebuilt in order to sell it. Now, is there something I need to do in order to keep this from happening again? I don't track the car. All street and car shows. I do get on it. With the cutout open, 455hp, and 6 speed it's hard not to. I wouldn't have $4,000 for a rebuild if it happened so I would like to prevent it. I was going to buy an SSRA for it but got scared when I read about the #7 piston problem and figured I should wait until someone could help me with my upgrade. The car has not had the free ram air mod done. Just SLP lid. I was going to put on the SSRA hoping for another 10-15hp but didn't know if that would put me closer to danger level with my fuel system.

So I have been looking at Fast Fuel rails with line conversion kit, or an SSRA, or a Racetronix fuel pump and wiring harness, torque arm, Strano sways, MGW shifter to replace Pro 5.0. I can't do them all just pretty much one of these. What path should I take?? Need suggestions........
Old 06-01-2012, 04:38 AM
On The Tree

Damn, 26 views and nothing?
Old 06-01-2012, 07:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

SSRA, and a fuel pump. You dont need new fuel rails at your level other than looks. I still run the stock fuel rails and I make 100hp more than you.

Look in to venting systems for the coolant ports in the heads. You have plugs in the rear of the heads to fit the fast intake. Get those vented again and that will HELP with the # 7 hole getting hot. http://www.kurturbanperformance.com/...or-system.html
Old 06-01-2012, 07:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd do fuel delivery and suspension work. Spinning ain't winning!
Old 06-02-2012, 07:31 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if you pushing that much rwhp and with all the mods done and it has 36lbs injectors i would assume the pump was upgraded as well, you can look for a hot wire kit it runs from the tank area along the frame and hooked up to the alternator if you see that then you know it was upgraded, another thing you can do is take it to a dyno have a tuner hook up and make a couple of runs and see where the duty cycle is at on the injectors if they are maxed out then you need to up grade pump and possibly injectors at some point. overall you should be fine with a SSRA, at this point in the game your pretty much maxed out for N/A motor i would work on suspension and then if you want more power start looking into nitrous or forced induction
Old 06-02-2012, 11:17 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by TransamGCS
if you pushing that much rwhp and with all the mods done and it has 36lbs injectors i would assume the pump was upgraded as well, you can look for a hot wire kit it runs from the tank area along the frame and hooked up to the alternator if you see that then you know it was upgraded, another thing you can do is take it to a dyno have a tuner hook up and make a couple of runs and see where the duty cycle is at on the injectors if they are maxed out then you need to up grade pump and possibly injectors at some point. overall you should be fine with a SSRA, at this point in the game your pretty much maxed out for N/A motor i would work on suspension and then if you want more power start looking into nitrous or forced induction
Would a stock pump be able to keep up with the demand? I'll look for the hot wire tomorrow but I don't remember seeing it when I put the shocks and springs in. The shop that built the car is 4 hours away. That is the nearest dyno....

Would throwing 42# injectors on just to be safe do any harm?
Old 06-02-2012, 12:32 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Ronerik
Would a stock pump be able to keep up with the demand? I'll look for the hot wire tomorrow but I don't remember seeing it when I put the shocks and springs in. The shop that built the car is 4 hours away. That is the nearest dyno....

Would throwing 42# injectors on just to be safe do any harm?
a stock pump would probably be able to keep up as long as it was strong and it would defiantly be at its limits and maxed out, if it starts to weaken then you run the chance of going lean at higher rpms. just know that even though you dont see a hot wire kit dosnt mean that it dosnt have a upgraded pump. putting 42lbs injectors would be fine thats what i have but you would have to make sure the pump is upgraded, stock pump wont keep up with 42 lbs, also keep in mind that 42 lbs wont give you any more horse power but it does leave you room for more up grades in the future espically if you go to nitrous, also keep in mind the car will have to be retuned for the 42 lbs injectors, your injectors that you have now with a high flow fuel pump is plenty for your current set up.
Old 06-02-2012, 07:03 PM
On The Tree

a stock pump would probably be able to keep up as long as it was strong and it would defiantly be at its limits and maxed out, if it starts to weaken then you run the chance of going lean at higher rpms. just know that even though you dont see a hot wire kit dosnt mean that it dosnt have a upgraded pump. putting 42lbs injectors would be fine thats what i have but you would have to make sure the pump is upgraded, stock pump wont keep up with 42 lbs, also keep in mind that 42 lbs wont give you any more horse power but it does leave you room for more up grades in the future espically if you go to nitrous, also keep in mind the car will have to be retuned for the 42 lbs injectors, your injectors that you have now with a high flow fuel pump is plenty for your current set up.

Ok, so without dropping the tank or cutting a hole, is there any way to tell if the pump is stock if the wires are not visible? Would a fuel pressure gauge be able to show that?
\
EDIT: I take it this would be the one to get? http://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/...x-fuel-system/

Last edited by Ronerik; 06-02-2012 at 07:10 PM.
Old 06-02-2012, 08:24 PM
Launching!

yes that would be the one to get. honestly i think the only other way to tell with out dropping the tank is to see what the duty cycle is on the injectors which can be read by using hp tuner or another ls program, so without buying the software next best thing is to take it to a tuner so they can use their software to read the duty cycle at WOT if its no where close to maxed out then odds are it has a upgraded fuel pump. to answer about the pressure gauge it wouldn't really help you to determine if you have a upgraded pump it'll just tell you if your holding correct pressure from idle to WOT, so its good for diagnosing if your pump is weakening or not working
Old 06-04-2012, 09:15 PM
On The Tree

Just bought SSRA. My lower control arms and relocation brackets will be here Friday. My next purchase I think will be HP Tuners or something like that. I need something to where I can do some of this stuff myself. Is HP tuners THE program to use or is there one cheaper that will do the same thing? Any of them free?
Old 06-04-2012, 09:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

dose your car have cooling lines going to the back of the heads ?its not too hard to drop the tank if you need to install a new pump,just use a floor jack with a wide pad.
Old 06-05-2012, 03:41 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Ronerik
Just bought SSRA. My lower control arms and relocation brackets will be here Friday. My next purchase I think will be HP Tuners or something like that. I need something to where I can do some of this stuff myself. Is HP tuners THE program to use or is there one cheaper that will do the same thing? Any of them free?
i believe HP tuner is the best thing to use their is also ls1 edit but i think most people these days use hp tuner the place to ask would be in the tuning section they can steer you in the right direction
Old 06-06-2012, 11:21 PM
On The Tree

i believe HP tuner is the best thing to use their is also ls1 edit but i think most people these days use hp tuner the place to ask would be in the tuning section they can steer you in the right direction

I might give that Torque android app a try. It read it can read IDC. I would like to check the before and after SSRA to see if it makes a difference too.
Old 06-07-2012, 03:39 PM
11 Second Club

pic of car?? sounds cool
Old 06-11-2012, 05:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So you are making over 450rwhp, running lean and want to know if adding a ram air kit to get more air into the motor will help???? Get a fuel pump in there asap