New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how much have you spent on mods so far?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2005, 10:11 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

when im done my car will have well over 25-30 g's put into her (455 stroker and the works -full suspension Fikse FM5's and a few broken things for instance a REAR END lol)
Old 02-05-2005, 05:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'll start modding my car when it gets a job to pay for it. I pitty some of my friends who work hard and spend half their paycheck on mods. After they spend all these thousands, what do they have to show for it? 1 of a million 10, 11, or 12 sec cars.....wow. Does it make them a better person?....no. The ability to beat(aka spend more money) some other dudes car.......oh wow they must be more of a man. Modding a car because you think it gets you more girls.....now thats just sad.

Old 02-05-2005, 06:10 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

some people mod there cars because they enjoy having all of the power and performance. i for one like the sound of a loping cam through 3" exhaust, i certainly didnt mod my car to get girls, most of the time when i have girls in my car they make a comment about how its to loud for them, well it isnt for me and its my car. i think its great that you dont want to mod you car but you kinda picked a stupid place to post that info, in a thread about how much money you've spent on mods. your basicly flaming people for spending money on there cars. im sorry you sold a car worth spending money on and now drive a 15yr old mustang. i think your jealous at the amout of money YOU would have to spend to make that thing a competitor with your buddies rides. so basicly what you think so

-Stuart

Edit: I also didnt see that you had a 99T/A but that doesnt really change anything i said

Last edited by 69_YENKO; 02-05-2005 at 06:39 PM.
Old 02-05-2005, 06:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by mattkimsey
I'll start modding my car when it gets a job to pay for it. I pitty some of my friends who work hard and spend half their paycheck on mods. After they spend all these thousands, what do they have to show for it? 1 of a million 10, 11, or 12 sec cars.....wow. Does it make them a better person?....no. The ability to beat(aka spend more money) some other dudes car.......oh wow they must be more of a man. Modding a car because you think it gets you more girls.....now thats just sad.

do you have some kind of mental problem? you are registered on a site that has to do with the tech info of modding cars, and you proceed to flame about modding cars? you have probably just insulted about 99.9% of the people here.

why are you even on this site? me, personally, i enjoy modding this car because it is a HOBBY. people dont spend 1000s of dolllars to mod a car to "get more girls". we leave that to the jerkoffs that buy them and do nothing to them but "cruise for ladies". that seems to be right up your ally! except now you drive an old beater mustang, that sounds like its gonna stay a beater, since your opposed to modding.

most of these guys here are gonna tell you they do this as a hobby. you have a valid point, insinuating that this is only a car. but you know, money is only money. me, i dont drink, do drugs, gamble, go clubbing, or do anything else that people do to waste money. so i spend it on my car. whats wrong with that? what do you waste your money on, womens clothing?(for yourself) everyone wastes money, some in more "appropriate" ways than others. just remember, you cant take money(or anything else) with you when the good Lord calls for you, so why not enjoy it?

please dont be TOO insulted by what i say, just giving you MHO. maybe you should find stockLXcruisers.com or something like that, you would be more at home.

God bless,
anthony

edit: oh, and i couldnt see that you now have a 99 TA too, the font you used doesnt show up with "the darkside" ls1tech background. more advice, sell your TA to someone that can have fun with it and go buy yourself a new mercury marquis or something
Old 02-05-2005, 07:38 PM
12 Second Club

but you know, money is only money. me, i dont drink, do drugs, gamble, go clubbing, or do anything else that people do to waste money.
Same here. I don't spend money on anything. Until I bought my car this past summer money just went into the bank and that was it. That gets pointless after a while. I've always had trouble convincing myself to spend money on anything that I would want, but I think having this car will change that. Which is a GOOD thing in my opinion. Also I'm a ME major and want to gain some hands on experience, my car is meant as much as a learning experience for me about cars in general and modding as it is as transportation/hobby.

Back on topic.
Only had car since June.
SSRA $200
TSP Clear LId $75
UMI Strut Tower Brace $70
So total as of now is only $345. With what I paid for the car it's only around $3600. ( I bought the car with my parents so don't ask how the hell I got that kinda deal) But that's gonna go up. I'm planning LT's, Intake, ported TB, sfc's, or I'm thinking about getting a 9".
Old 02-05-2005, 07:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 69_YENKO
some people mod there cars because they enjoy having all of the power and performance.
Hmm, reminds me of what my father said...."if you want power join the military"
i for one like the sound of a loping cam through 3" exhaust, i certainly didnt mod my car to get girls, most of the time when i have girls in my car they make a comment about how its to loud for them, well it isnt for me and its my car.
Thats nice but if you like sound try working on jets
i think its great that you dont want to mod you car but you kinda picked a stupid place to post that info, in a thread about how much money you've spent on mods.
Umm, why is it stupid? The thread said, "how much have you spent," does ZERO not count?? OK...OK....I did buy some stainless exhaust tips
your basicly flaming people for spending money on there cars.
No sir, I must respecfully disagree, I didn't flame people for spending money, I flamed people like my friends who spend 1/2 their paycheck on modding.( not that it's any of my business but I'm playing devils advocate...so I can try and understand it)
im sorry you sold a car worth spending money on and now drive a 15yr old mustang.
A T/A isn't worth spending money on??? And you say that on a fbody website. m:
i think your jealous at the amout of money YOU would have to spend to make that thing a competitor with your buddies rides. so basicly what you think so
And to prove my point....you just equated being jealous with having slower car. Having a slow car makes you no less of a person. You also brought up spending which seems to be the main factor in going faster, the person who has the most money will go faster. This is why I would never mod a car in order to have a faster car than other people.

-
Stuart

Edit: I also didnt see that you had a 99T/A but that doesnt really change anything i said
Thats cool
Old 02-05-2005, 07:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thats like saying "if you want economic transportation, buy a bike" to someone with a honda.

Whats your problem, you can't give yourself any of the smaller pleasures in life even if they do cost you a little?

And by the way, having a faster car and beating someone in a race is definitely a pleasure whether you have to buy the speed or not.

Lighten up a little bit and mod your trans am a little, unless your'e saving up for a vette or your just too extremely stretched financially to do so.
Old 02-05-2005, 08:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by luvmeZ28
do you have some kind of mental problem? you are registered on a site that has to do with the tech info of modding cars, and you proceed to flame about modding cars? you have probably just insulted about 99.9% of the people here.
No need to feel insulted. If the people who spent money and enjoy what they did, and it made them feel better about themselves then they should feel secure not insulted. I'm registered at a car forum....it's not like I traded top secret information to another country If you enjoy cars but prefer to keep the one you own stock, you should register here?

why are you even on this site?
I enjoy learning about cars, debating different cars, talking with other who like cars, etc etc
me, personally, i enjoy modding this car because it is a HOBBY. people dont spend 1000s of dolllars to mod a car to "get more girls". we leave that to the jerkoffs that buy them and do nothing to them but "cruise for ladies". that seems to be right up your ally! except now you drive an old beater mustang, that sounds like its gonna stay a beater, since your opposed to modding.
Hmm, I drive an old car so you call it a beater and say, cruising for ladies sounds right up my ally.....not very friendly are you???

most of these guys here are gonna tell you they do this as a hobby. you have a valid point, insinuating that this is only a car. but you know, money is only money. me, i dont drink, do drugs, gamble, go clubbing, or do anything else that people do to waste money. so i spend it on my car. whats wrong with that?
Thats good that you dont do those things and I'm glad you have a hobby. I was only commenting on people who spend something like half their paycheck on a car, and have nothing to show for it.
what do you waste your money on, womens clothing?(for yourself)
low self esteem
everyone wastes money, some in more "appropriate" ways than others. just remember, you cant take money(or anything else) with you when the good Lord calls for you, so why not enjoy it?
But, like all things some people can go overboard and abuse other aspects of their life.

please dont be TOO insulted by what i say, just giving you MHO. maybe you should find stockLXcruisers.com or something like that, you would be more at home.
Insulting someones car makes you feel good???/LOL ....You sound like one of those people who mods your car so you can feel like more of man MHO

God bless,
MATT

edit: oh, and i couldnt see that you now have a 99 TA too, the font you used doesnt show up with "the darkside" ls1tech background. more advice, sell your TA to someone that can have fun with it and go buy yourself a new mercury marquis or something
So you can't enjoy a stock car??? I guess someone who runs 7's may say you can't enjoy your car because it's so slow.
Old 02-05-2005, 08:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by '02 WS/6
Thats like saying "if you want economic transportation, buy a bike" to someone with a honda.

Whats your problem, you can't give yourself any of the smaller pleasures in life even if they do cost you a little?

And by the way, having a faster car and beating someone in a race is definitely a pleasure whether you have to buy the speed or not.

Lighten up a little bit and mod your trans am a little, unless your'e saving up for a vette or your just too extremely stretched financially to do so.
You can buy a fun car and not spend money on it....it can be done. Things like modding a car to see who can go faster is kinda like comparing bank accounts....it's pointless. Yes, I'm a college student and when I grad. I would like to buy a Vette or M3 because I like the looks of them. This will be done when I'm out of school and have a good job. The people I was mostly talking about are the ones who dont have good jobs and spend most of their money on a car. These same people do nothing to better themselves. I bet when they're 40, they'll know how stupid it was to waste money on a car.
Old 02-05-2005, 09:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You can buy a fun car and not spend money on it....it can be done. Things like modding a car to see who can go faster is kinda like comparing bank accounts....it's pointless. Yes, I'm a college student and when I grad. I would like to buy a Vette or M3 because I like the looks of them. This will be done when I'm out of school and have a good job. The people I was mostly talking about are the ones who dont have good jobs and spend most of their money on a car. These same people do nothing to better themselves. I bet when they're 40, they'll know how stupid it was to waste money on a car.
Don't get all responsible on me now. Yeah, i agree you shouldn't spend more than you are able to on your car, but its not like comparing bank accounts unless you know everyone you race and you each know exactly what mods each of you have.

On the street, I don't know for sure if I can take every cobra or vette but I know they feel like **** when they lose to a less expensive car.

Alot of times its the drivers that win the race, but mods only hedge your bet a little bit(or a lot).
Old 02-05-2005, 09:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

No need to feel insulted. If the people who spent money and enjoy what they did, and it made them feel better about themselves then they should feel secure not insulted. I'm registered at a car forum....it's not like I traded top secret information to another country If you enjoy cars but prefer to keep the one you own stock, you should register here?
i wasnt personally insulted, and thinking about, what a dumb thing to be insulted about! and ive just been in a little bit of a bad mood today, and felt like giving you a little razz. these things are just material things, and so is money. i dont think either should make you feel secure. if someone does, they probably have problems. and i question you being here simply because you chimed in with something that offered nothing good to the thread. i dont like reading posts like that. me-

I enjoy learning about cars, debating different cars, talking with other who like cars, etc etc Hmm, I drive an old car so you call it a beater and say, cruising for ladies sounds right up my ally.....not very friendly are you???
i dont call it a beater because its old, im very into classic muscle cars. i call it a beater because its an old mustang. and im usually very nice.

Thats good that you dont do those things and I'm glad you have a hobby. I was only commenting on people who spend something like half their paycheck on a car, and have nothing to show for it. low self esteem But, like all things some people can go overboard and abuse other aspects of their life.
i agree whole heartidly on that. if you cant afford it or have more important responsibilities, then you need to rethink spending the money. im a poor college student, but i can usually scrape up the extra money to splurge on the hobby. no low self esteem here, i pray for the same on your end.

Insulting someones car makes you feel good???/LOL ....You sound like one of those people who mods your car so you can feel like more of man MHO
actually, insulting someone makes me feel bad. and it sure wasnt very Christian of me. so i sincerely appoligize. and nope, not one of those guys there are about a million things more important to me than my car, the top being God-family-work-about a million more things-then the car.

So you can't enjoy a stock car??? I guess someone who runs 7's may say you can't enjoy your car because it's so slow.
and no, i dont think i could enjoy a stock car. its just so much fun seeing what you can push them to. i did it with my first two trucks, and now my Z. aftermarket performance is very interesting to me. some people like to see how much they can drink without passing out, some like to perfect their golf game, i like to monkey around with my car.

and a guy who runs 7s can say whatever they want about my car.
Old 02-05-2005, 09:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by racer88
You mean how many sets of drag radials have I gone through in 3 yrs?

Headers $750- installed by my Boyfriend
Corsa exhaust $300 (bought the premium tip system used)-installed by my Boyfriend
Lid $109
Moser 12 bolt $2240 -installed by my Boyfriend
4.10 gears, new posi installed $450 before my 12 bolt
Taylor wires $62
Suspension techniques springs: gift from my Boyfriend and installed by him
Pro 5.0 shifter- gift from my Boyfriend
Comp Cam: trade with a friend -B/F installed his, and mine
LS1 edit license slot; gift from my Boyfriend
Pushrods, springs, retainers: Gift from my boyfriend and install by him
Weld wheels with tires $1100
I am not counting my clutches that's normal wear and tear like tires.
$5011.00 which equates to about $1252 a year x 4 yrs.........not so bad. (he's also been my Man for 4 yrs as well, not like I met some guy who started to mod my car and buy me stuff.

That's about all I can think of aside from the numerous sets of Nitto's I've made balder than a babies *** in 3 yrs.

What I've gotten my Man:

Kenny Brown DD SFC's
Thunder Racing T-Rex cam (this xmas)
BMR LCA's
$2K money gift for a complete forged bottom end
5 pt harness
SFI transmission blanket

I've spent close to $3000 on his car as well. It must be love It is
Well he's getting Hals QA1 shocks for his B'day in a few weeks for $163 each x 2 and I am ordering a complete forged bottom end for my car that he will be building for me.

Does it ever end?
Old 02-05-2005, 09:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

See my above post

Some of us like power, some of us live at the track and that would be me It's okay if you don't want to modify your car. They are fun stock, but they are alot more fun modded..........it's whatever you like it's a free world.

Some of us don't spend all our money on mods, I own real estate, have invested money for retirement and I am nearing 40 next month. And I have NO regrets of the amount of cash in my car because I love to race it.
Old 02-05-2005, 09:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

mattkimsey, bro................re-f'n-lax! What the hell do you even give a rats *** on what ur' buds spend on their rides?
Look you said what,.....when you get a good job and have a good income then you'll get a 'Vette or something? Cool! Good luck to ya'. However, remember you may not see that day. Speaking from personal experience I had someone close to me pass away that had long-range goals like that and that's cool to have. Hell we all should, and prolly do. However, if you got the chance to do something today, should you wait until it's more convenient or go for it? Maybe, maybe not. It's all personal choice.
I mean hell, I've spent more on my collection of wine than my car, but I do both! My point is your talkin about when you’re older doing this and your friends who now spend frivolously will see the error of thier ways. Just saying nothing is guaranteed. You or them or hell, both may not be around for that day. I'm not saying, "Live for today for tomorrow may never come”, but there is a line there.
Oh, and as far as "Modding for chicks?" What are you 17? We mod because we enjoy, been doing it since I was 16, and yes at first it was to impress girls. Gotta use the talents that God gives ya'!

That being said:
Performance Mods
Magnaflow Cat-Back $400 + $50 Install
FTRA $90
Predator $400
UMI STB $70
GMS Lid $125
K&N Filter $50
TB ByPass $6
160* T-Stat $55
ASP UD Pulley $219
This does not count the current money set aside waiting for the next QTP GP
Appearance Mods
Custom Embroidered Seats $FREE (I have the technology)
Badgeing $139
Hockey Stripes $FREE (I have the technology)

Total Car ~$1600
Total Wine: mattkimsey you'd have a frikkin heart attack if I posted it! Hell I prolly would too! But it makes me happy, wtf do you care!

Last edited by 02blkragtopz; 02-05-2005 at 10:48 PM.
Old 02-05-2005, 09:58 PM
Fiery Features Director

Modding a car because you think it gets you more girls.....now thats just sad.
I have spent a good 30k in mods (not including the car)... and more to come! Obviously I don't do it to become more of a man (it would take a hell of alot more than just car parts) or to pick up chicks. So, since you have it all figured out, what is my excuse?
Old 02-05-2005, 09:59 PM
10 Second Club

Hmm, reminds me of what my father said...."if you want power join the military"
differant type of power buddie
Thats nice but if you like sound try working on jets
thats the dumbest ******* thing ive ever heard (i like the sound a performance vehicle puts out, if i just liked loud things i would probably drive a loud clankin *** diesel truck)
Umm, why is it stupid? The thread said, "how much have you spent," does ZERO not count?? OK...OK....I did buy some stainless exhaust tips
no its cool to not spend money on mods, if you go back through the last 5 pages many people have said they didnt have any mods, you just wer'nt very tactful in your post almost as if you were mocking.
No sir, I must respecfully disagree, I didn't flame people for spending money, I flamed people like my friends who spend 1/2 their paycheck on modding.( not that it's any of my business but I'm playing devils advocate...so I can try and understand it)
I totaly agree, when people spend more then they can really afford without doing without other things on any item be it a car, big screen tv or what ever its dumb & irresponsible. i also have friends from high school that i belive will never amount to anything & yes that are the type that its all about the time slip or the dyno sheet
A T/A isn't worth spending money on??? And you say that on a fbody website. m:
Sorry about that one, i also use the darkside background and with it you cant pick out any dark colored fonts because of the navy blue/black back ground
And to prove my point....you just equated being jealous with having slower car. Having a slow car makes you no less of a person. You also brought up spending which seems to be the main factor in going faster, the person who has the most money will go faster. This is why I would never mod a car in order to have a faster car than other people.
i only made that connection as some sort of answer as to why you might have posted in the manner you did, like maybe you were bitter. i did bring up money while i was still on my jealosy thing, your right racing/speed is a money game who ever has the most will go the fastest.
I like being fast, well....quick, but either way thats why i spend tha $$$$ you have differant motives thats why you dont.

Stuart
Old 02-05-2005, 10:40 PM
Teching In

Almost 1grand and counting. Wanting to add alot more it before spring comes.

Last edited by o4 ShakeR; 02-05-2005 at 11:33 PM.
Old 02-05-2005, 10:59 PM
TECH Resident

I know this is probably the only time in my life that having a car like this will be practical and so much fun. I'm fairly young 22yrs old and single, no house, minimal bills and just enjoying my youth. The problem comes when it's time to decide when to give up this crack habbit???? I have a bad feeling i'll have a hard time giving it up. I've always wanted a V8 camaro back with the LT1 was the **** and when the opportunity finally arose I had no idea that i was getting an LS1 !! Man did I luck out. Once i finally started researching i realized just how lucky i got! Anyway I've invested about...

$800 audio system
$1000 RIMS and Tires
$200 e-cutout
$40 lid and filter

= $2,040 Not as bad as i thought ..just hope i can keep it this way!
Old 02-05-2005, 11:14 PM
Teching In

Default Why Mod Ls1's?

Why Mod Ls1's? The Bolt Ons Are Just The Begininning. Anyone Who Doesn't Understand Should Keep The Opinions To Themselves. The Sound Of A Cammed Ls1 Idleing Through Headers And Off Roads Is Why I Have Spend Thousands. I Am Already Married And Have A Baby On The Way. I Will Continue To Mod My Ls1. A True Gearhead Will Know What I Mean.
Old 02-05-2005, 11:17 PM
10 & 11 Second Club

Yes you are right about spending lots of $$ moding cars is not smart. To me its like an addiction, just like someone that smokes crack for the rush and just can`t stop. Dragracing is like that rush for alot of us on this site. I personally think 4th gen Camaros + Firebirds are the coolest looking cars on the road(or at the track), that is why I race with this type of car. When I was your age I worked at a shop that raced ProStock motorcycles and got to race some real fast bikes, thats when I got addicted to acceleration(i.e. dragracing), if you had ever raced a 8,9 or 10sec car or bike you would know that exhilerating feeling. That is the same reason that many other people are on this site for, the addiction of going real fast.

Quick Reply: how much have you spent on mods so far?