Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new to ls1 motors, need advice for build

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2012, 12:16 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new to ls1 motors, need advice for build

I have a 99 ws6 trans am 6 speed, all stock except 3" cat back exhaust with manual cut out, eibach pro-kit springs, and "18 C5 Z06 vette wheels.

I want to build this baby up but need some advice for different mods, she's my daily driver so I still need her streetable and not too much damage to my mpg but I still want to add alot more power, i dont want to touch nitrous or forced induction, strictly naturally aspirated my friends have told me about a trex cam from thunder racing, and mid pipe headers since the car is lowered not to use long tube. Also im being told to put in 3.90 gears from one friend and 4.10s from another so any advice on various mods and specific brands and products would be much appreciated

Cams, internals, electrical, head work, tunes, throttlebodys, gears, and anything else you guys can think of.

Thanks all
Old 06-21-2012, 12:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you want close to stock MPGs the trex is a terrible cam but if you want huge power it's great. Check this link out for some good info.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/new-ls1-o...anna-fast.html
Old 06-21-2012, 01:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by tylerjaywilliams
I have a 99 ws6 trans am 6 speed, all stock except 3" cat back exhaust with manual cut out, eibach pro-kit springs, and "18 C5 Z06 vette wheels.

I want to build this baby up but need some advice for different mods, she's my daily driver so I still need her streetable and not too much damage to my mpg but I still want to add alot more power, i dont want to touch nitrous or forced induction, strictly naturally aspirated my friends have told me about a trex cam from thunder racing, and mid pipe headers since the car is lowered not to use long tube. Also im being told to put in 3.90 gears from one friend and 4.10s from another so any advice on various mods and specific brands and products would be much appreciated

Cams, internals, electrical, head work, tunes, throttlebodys, gears, and anything else you guys can think of.

Thanks all

first on the headers, you dont have to do midpipes. i understand you are lowered but there are plenty of people on here that are lowered with longtubes. the best choice for you would probably be the bbk longtubes, they actually sit up higher than the stock exhaust setup. plus they are a decent price and come with a bbk y pipe to match. far as gears go the common choice for f bodys are the 3.73's or the 4.10's. both will decrease your gas mpg as with gears you will be turning more rpm while crusing on the highway or city, for instance stock gears you can be turning 1500 rpm and be going 40 mph but with a taller gear you would be turning 2500 rpm to go the same mph, which burns more gas. ( my numbers arnt exact just throw outs, dont flame me) far as cam choices go a popular choice that wont eat mpg is a texas speed 224/224 cam or 228/228. with supporting mods (heads, intake) can see very decent hp, some have even hit 400hp for a mild cam setup. heads are a big place to increase hp and tq, the best bet would be a set of 205cc afr's but there crazy expensive and if your not going all out n/a build then even something as mild as porting your stock 241's will do. or you could get a texas speed heads and cam package. intakes, a very popular choice for people with the ls1 intake (which your year came with) is to just buy a ls6 intake from someone that just did an intake swap. however some will argue that the FAST intake will flow better, honestly IMO the ammount of hp that the FAST will gain over an ls6 intake is so small you will never feel it. plus a ls6 can run you as low as 300 bucks and a FAST is usually sold for 800 bucks. the mid level option is the bbk ssi intake which is cheaper than a FAST and is a very nice intake, however flows only slightly better than a ls6. main selling point of the bbk intake is it is metal and can be filed for direct port nitrous setups. ignore those claiming that the bbk is a "heat soak intake", i tell them this, go drive your ls1 for about 30 min and park and try to keep your hand on that plastic intake for more than 10 seconds. and honestly when i had the bbk i noticed the car cooled alot faster. but enough rambling. Far as the TB goes just getting your current one ported will do fine, no sense in getting a 102mm or 92mm TB that will flow into a stock size MAF or intake, only will see gains if all your inducton components are same diameter. far as MAF, i would not get a bigger one unless you want issues, many have got the 100mm MAF or the zo6 maf, but have only had issues with tuning form there on out. next up is ram air, yes you have factory "ram air" but its no where near as good as it could be. look into true ram air kits or even the free ram air mods on this site. your internals will be fine unless you plan on
a. going over 500 crank hp
b. plan on FI later down the road
c. want a shot of the sauce (nitrous)

only internal work i would do is an ls6 ported oil pump or a melling, get an ls2 timing chain as they are much stronger and wont break after the new more aggressive cam, and of course upgrade your valvetrain to match the new cam. lifters, springs, rods, everything.

theres other stuff you can do but this is my 2 cents. also dont be too hard on the rear end they are very weak and notorious for breaking, even stock ls1 cars have broken the rear.
Old 06-21-2012, 01:21 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BBK Long Tubes are an awesome and in expensive option. Whatever you decide, pm me before buying elsewhere. I have most LS bolt ons in stock and Offer great savings to Tech members
Old 06-21-2012, 08:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

the Trex is a race cam,look at a TSP 228r cam.or check out thunder racing website.