New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EGR/AIR Block Off plates, what do they do?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 02:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

I am getting a p1404 code which I am told is the egr. Will my car pass a New York state inspection (has cats) w/o the egr. If so, is there a diagram for dummies so I can block it off or remove it? Thanks.
Old 09-04-2012, 03:13 PM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

From what I understand, having several friends in ny, any problem that sets off the check engine light will fail you in the state of new York.
Old 09-04-2012, 04:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Im not schocked, NY sucks w/ emmitions. I have heard about people cleaning it &lor the pinicle but im not sure how to do it or if it is worth a try. Thabks for the reply.
Old 09-04-2012, 10:01 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Carguy8888
Im not schocked, NY sucks w/ emmitions. I have heard about people cleaning it &lor the pinicle but im not sure how to do it or if it is worth a try. Thabks for the reply.
You can just unbolt it from the flange, 2 bolts & try cleaning the carbon from it with some carb cleaner or combustion chamber cleaner, seafoam they do get jammed by carbon but if it has a P1404 its most likely the sensor thats internal to the egr valve thats faulty.
Old 09-04-2012, 10:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

It does have the 1404 s*&^. Where is it located please? Stupid question, I also got a p0343 cam position sensor they are two totally seperate systems I thought. Wierd that they both went off right after a tune. Except for a lil rough idle the car runs great to me.
Old 10-04-2012, 09:24 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok i know this is a few weeks old but im in the process of getting headers and wanted to go with tsp headers on my 99 z28. but ill have to remove the egr. now there is a hose that goes from manafold to manafold around the back of the motor and i believe it actually has a T in the hose back to the back of the intake is this correct? and if it is do i just block it? do they sell something that blocks it? any help would be great
Old 10-05-2012, 11:02 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by caturnbull1
ok i know this is a few weeks old but im in the process of getting headers and wanted to go with tsp headers on my 99 z28. but ill have to remove the egr. now there is a hose that goes from manafold to manafold around the back of the motor and i believe it actually has a T in the hose back to the back of the intake is this correct? and if it is do i just block it? do they sell something that blocks it? any help would be great
i got a 99 z28 as well and the egr hose that runs around the back of the intake doesnt have a t as far as i can tell, the hose just connects one side to the other. i still have all my egr hooked up, just too afraid to take it off lol.
Old 10-05-2012, 01:14 PM
Launching!

Oh ok thanks im about to go out and check it out little better
Old 10-05-2012, 02:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by caturnbull1
That's probably the air system. Does each line have a weird black diaphragm in the middle?

If you're getting headers without emissions junk, there's nothing to block off - you can just pull the air plumbing out and toss it in the trash. Pull the relay for the air pump, and you can yank the pump out if you want - should be behind the turn signal lamps on the driver's side. For the EGR system, you will need one of the expanding rubber plugs to seal the hole in the top of the intake behind the throttle body, unless you already have an LS6 intake.
Old 10-08-2012, 03:17 PM
Launching!

well looked at it better yesterday, dont know what i was thinking about going to the back of the intake. looks easy to removal all though should clean up nice. thanks for all the help also.

Quick Reply: EGR/AIR Block Off plates, what do they do?