Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are Flowmasters really horrible?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2012, 01:42 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,687 Likes on 1,208 Posts

Originally Posted by LS-ONE_DAY
As far as the Flowmaster goes, I know I've seen people say it can lower performance from stock, but no I'm not sure how accurate that is. I found this older thread about it that you responded too - https://ls1tech.com/forums/new-ls1-o...s-muffler.html
Looks like that thread was about muffler replacement only. That's not the same as getting the full catback. The 80-series replacement muffler is only a 3" in, dual 2.5" out muffler - the AT catback uses a 3" in/dual 3" out muffler (or at least it did when I bought mine many years ago). Also, by getting the full catback you're getting a bigger I-pipe and improved bends. I absolutely can't believe that anyone has ever installed the entire AT catback and *lost* power over their stock LS1 catback (dual/dual excluded).

Originally Posted by Bugsy
So I asked myself a question: "Do you want to make noise, or do you want to make power?" I chose the power.
The other way to look at this is, "Do you want an exhaust note that you're happy with 100% of the time on a street car, or do you want to make marginally more power for the 1% of the time you're at WOT?"

Last edited by RPM WS6; 08-31-2012 at 01:47 PM.
Old 08-31-2012, 01:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NC98Z
I've got the Hooker Aerochamber catback and it is very quiet. You can't even tell my car has a MS4 in it until you open up the cutout. But if your looking for that killer sound then this isn't it. Its more like a stealth system for cops that hate loud mufflers. And I usually open the cutout till it sounds like I like it and if you hit a check point you can go silent running for awhile. When I got my car somebody had cutout the factory muffler and replaced it with a Flowmaster. It sounded like crap. A single in/out Flowmasters are ok but the single in/double out are the ones to avoid. Have you gone to www.ls1sounds.com and checked out the site?
You're the first person I've heard say this. I always new magnaflow was quiet but I thought the aerochamber was louder than the flowmaster. Sound is very opinionated. I have the same exhaust as you speak of (weld-in flowmaster) that sounds like crap and I think it sounds fine. Then again most seem to like borla, which I can't stand.

I liked my exhaust on my old 98 cammed formula, it's just that it was too loud. Dumped true duals with sweet thunder 3" mufflers.
Old 08-31-2012, 01:50 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by 777
Sound is very opinionated. I have the same exhaust as you speak of (weld-in flowmaster) that sounds like crap and I think it sounds fine. Then again most seem to like borla, which I can't stand.
Agreed on all counts.
Old 08-31-2012, 05:52 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go with magnaflow. Great system for the money. Mods are in sig.
Old 08-31-2012, 11:04 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
The other way to look at this is, "Do you want an exhaust note that you're happy with 100% of the time on a street car, or do you want to make marginally more power for the 1% of the time you're at WOT?"
Exactly. It all comes down to what you want/prefer. A few years ago, I bought a Fox Body 5.0 that had Flowmasters. Inside of a week, the Flowmasters were gone, and replaced with Borlas. To some, the sound of Flowmasters is pleasing. To me, they are simply noisy. With both the Magnaflows now, and the Borlas then, I had both the power AND a sound I like.
The point I was attempting to make for the OP, was that liking or disliking a particular system's exhaust note is a matter of personal preference. But, barring cutouts, he will be sacrificing power by going with the Flowmasters over many of the other popular brands. It's basically a decision he's going to have to weigh for himself. For me, I'm glad that I found an exhaust that allows me to have my cake and eat it, too!
Old 08-31-2012, 11:13 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Personal preference will obviously be the deciding factor, but for some reason the LS world isnt fond of the "Flows" like old school guys... It think that our rumbler cat back offers a sound similar to that old school sound, but we definitely dont use a flowmaster.
POWERBOND - ASP - PRECISION INDUSTRIES - YANK - CIRCLE D - AND MORE!
NEW NUMBER (512)863-0900
Old 09-01-2012, 12:17 AM
Teching In

I tested a Flowmaster for HP loss. I have a 3" exhaust and a Flowmaster 80, with LTs, Y pile, and an electric cutout under the rear seat. Car is an LT1 383. First run open cutout, 2nd run through the FM80. 12 HP loss out of 417, less than 3%, not too bad. I don't know what a stock system costs for HP. Mustang Dyno BTW.

Personally I love the sound of the Flowmaster 80. Here's what idle sounds like; this is too high an RPM to hear the cam lope much, 750 sounds a lot cooler, but you can get the idea.

http://s154.photobucket.com/albums/s...000rpmidle.mp4
Old 09-01-2012, 04:41 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by Bugsy
Exactly. It all comes down to what you want/prefer.
Agreed.

No matter how many people profess their love for Magnaflow and Borla, there will still be those of us that prefer Flowmaster. Sound is all opinion anyway, so there will never be a wrong answer in this regard.

For a street/strip application I would simply do a cutout for track events.

For a race car I wouldn't even consider a catback; too much extra weight and pipe bends. Headers with duals ending mid-body. Add a couple of race bullets if your track has noise restrictions.

Last edited by RPM WS6; 09-01-2012 at 05:14 AM.
Old 09-01-2012, 06:09 AM
11 Second Club

I made the mistake of going 80 series Flowmasters when i first bought my TA, I felt no difference at all other than a bit more rumble vs my stock exsht.

But i do have to agree with Post #8 If you want good flow, add a cut out. I did it to my exhst and always leave it open! Some ppl down the street give me dirty looks all the time, but it sounds awesome IMO. After the cut out, i never bothered replacing the flowmaster, its there for when i close the cutout for long trips or normal sound.

Stay away from Flowmaster, theres alot more options out there that you'll be happy with.
Old 09-02-2012, 04:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

http://m.modmotortech.com/forums/sho...0&postcount=33
Old 09-02-2012, 04:22 PM
Launching!

Don't forget, many companies make systems for our cars. MAC and Pypes are two no one ever mentions on here. I've had FM80, LM 1, and Pypes myself.
Old 09-03-2012, 12:39 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Saw a muffler comparison a few years back and Flowmaster was right at the bottom.
Old 09-03-2012, 03:39 PM
TECH Veteran

The crossflow muffler on our cars is what sucks, and the Flowmaster crossflow muffler "seems" to be among the worst.

On a mildly modded car the factory pipe flows VERY well with a single in/out muffler on it.

On my car I only picked up 5rwhp going from the stock pipe with a Magnaflow single in/out muffler turned down under the drivers side bumper to a SLP 2OTL.

This was making 385 to the wheels.

EDIT

On my 1992 Silverado I went from a 70 series Flowmaster with a dual 2.5 inch inlet/single 3 inch outlet to a Magnaflow with a Flowmaster Merge and only picked up 4 to the wheels.

The single in/out Flowmaster mufflers do ok.
Old 09-03-2012, 04:50 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by FASTFATBOY
....single in/out muffler turned down under the drivers side bumper....

The single in/out Flowmaster mufflers do ok.
This is what I've been thinking about doing lately. A FM Super 44 3" single in/out with a turndown tucked up near the driver's side frame. This should look fine on a Camaro or Formula since they don't have any tail pipe provisions in the bumper anyway. If I use a muffler with offset inlet/offset outlet, it should fit in the stock location and be able to be connected to the stock hangers.
Old 09-03-2012, 05:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 777
Sound is very opinionated. I have the same exhaust as you speak of (weld-in flowmaster) that sounds like crap and I think it sounds fine. Then again most seem to like borla, which I can't stand.

I liked my exhaust on my old 98 cammed formula, it's just that it was too loud. Dumped true duals with sweet thunder 3" mufflers.
Agreed. 100%

I have used Flowmasters since about 85; met Roy in 87 when nearly no one knew Flowmaster.

I am a diehard fan and the "tests" that I have seen are negligible.

Crossflow sucks whomever makes it.

Flows and cutouts is priceless.
Old 09-03-2012, 06:00 PM
TECH Veteran

This is what I've been thinking about doing lately. A FM Super 44 3" single in/out with a turndown tucked up near the driver's side frame. This should look fine on a Camaro or Formula since they don't have any tail pipe provisions in the bumper anyway. If I use a muffler with offset inlet/offset outlet, it should fit in the stock location and be able to be connected to the stock hangers.
Old 09-03-2012, 07:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I had a original 40 single in/ou on my 92 and everyone thought it sounded amazing. It did not sound like and other 3rd gen; of course it was a true L98 and had headers when very few 3rd gens had them, sooooo

Much better setup than a crossflow.....
Old 09-05-2012, 02:20 AM
Pontiacerator

Received 206 Likes on 173 Posts

This is what I run on both my Formulas, except Hooker Maxflow instead of FM 44.
Old 09-07-2012, 01:06 AM
On The Tree

I actually had different mufflers on a flow bench at UTI when I was still in school and the worst flowing aftermarket muffler was a super turbo followed closely by a Flowmaster 40 series. The best brand we tested was a dynomax Ultraflo unsurprising due to its strait through design. I am not saying all flowmasters are bad but if all out power is the name of your game then I would recommend something else.

Quick Reply: Are Flowmasters really horrible?