Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

stock formula doing 15s ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2012, 07:12 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also only had the car for a week and a half

I know its slow I just want to know if the exuast would cause this ??????????

Posted from LS1Tech.com App for Android
Old 09-03-2012, 07:23 PM
On The Tree

clogged cat could, there's tons of possibilities why a car won't run right. You said you had codes for the converter too right? Possibly a transmission issue, that could be it too.
Old 09-03-2012, 08:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^^
I think he meant cat converter
Old 09-03-2012, 08:11 PM
Teching In

yea I meant cat sorry the trans is good I just wasent to sure about the cats being clogged and lacking power cause its not a common issue but that's what seems to come to mind until I switch exhuast over

Old 09-03-2012, 08:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Give us th run down of what you have done so far

New plugs
New plug wires
New fuel filter
Cleaned maf
New o2s
Seafoamed

Feel free and add what else you have done
Old 09-03-2012, 08:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

lol i think if he did all of that, it would be running 13s by now. oh and fix the codes.
Old 09-03-2012, 08:47 PM
Teching In

I cleaned mass airflow new air filter it had a k&n I through that one out don't trust those just picked up a wix at napa checked a couple of plugs today which were fine but a little lean but gonna do plugs as soon as I get my headers Wich will be this week but other than that that's it

Old 09-03-2012, 08:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 14k
Give us th run down of what you have done so far

New plugs
New plug wires
New fuel filter
Cleaned maf
New o2s
Seafoamed

Feel free and add what else you have done
You forgot to mention not to touch (physically)the little wires inside the maf
Old 09-03-2012, 09:20 PM
Teching In

well I bought it then took it to the track then cleaned maf out I was careful to maf is fine

Old 09-03-2012, 10:30 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by bad_408_vert
I like your username.

Just a personal recommendation, don't a car to track with codes on.
Kinda just asking for extra headaches with possibilities of more stuff to fix.
Exactly. Fix existing problems first and do a tune up before you beat on the car anymore. Just asking for problems.

And just because you see track cars with lights on, doesn't mean you should, and doesn't mean their lights mean anything serious. My car has a brake light, abs, and airbag light on due to removing things. All non serious things. Sometimes I will have a check engine light because I don't leave my key turned long enough before I finish turning it to fire it up. That is due to not leaving enough time for the 02's sensors heater to do it's thing before running it. Not serious, but looking at my dash it shows the illusion of major problems

my point, fix your known problems asap
Old 09-03-2012, 11:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

At WOT the car goes into open loop, so the 02 sensors have no impact on fuel trims in that instance.

15s are crazy slow for an LS1 car, to be that slow it's WAY down on power, like 150+ HP down. Fuel economy should be very poor as well.
Old 09-04-2012, 12:52 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by youngbird
so I just bought a 2000 formula and I took it to the track and it did 15.5 and I know that has to be near impossible this is my first race car so I don't know a lot about it but I know I should be doing high 13s unless there is something different with the formulas doubt it tho I'm also getting codes for converters and 02 sensors any ideas ?

I live in Illinois and I know its not the driver did a couple of runs and had some friends to times all the Same and mph is only 92 and the times were 2 6 10 13 15 I'm not gonna take it till I I install the exhaust I'm pretty sure the hearders and extensions will work if not time for fuel and compression test
ok well I don't want to sound like a Dick either since I need some help but if you read the thread I know how to drive and the car needs o2s and converters I just wanted some opinions
I don't want to sound like a dick, but if you read the thread from anyone else's point of view besides your own, you'd see that you can't say the driver isn't an issue, at least in part. Additionally, if you're experienced enough to be that confident in your driving skills, you should also know that those codes make it sound like your cats are bad, and the MPH suggests they may be clogged.

How many miles are on the car? Any prior maintenance done?

Getting it dyno'd is a horrible idea. Obviously something is wrong with it with a 92MPH trap speed. No sense in blowing money dyno'ing it to prove nothing other than your numbers are low and possibly hurt things in the process.

The rear O2s are used for nothing other than checking the status of the cats, no sense in replacing them to aid in performance/drivability. After installing your headers, you'll need to have them tuned out anyways.
Old 09-04-2012, 01:03 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

yea I meant cat sorry the trans is good I just wasent to sure about the cats being clogged and lacking power cause its not a common issue but that's what seems to come to mind until I switch exhuast over

Its real posssible the cats are partially clogged for it to be running that slow, especially since you have cat efficiency codes. Your 2.3 60 time is slow but with Mickeys on the back you should easily be in the 13s. You could pull both front o2 sensors & go drive it & see if it has better acceleration. Thats one way to see if the exhaust is restricted.
Old 09-04-2012, 06:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Seems like theres a possibility that the cats (or at least one) is clogged. I've seen it happen on ls1 cars, back when they were newer there were problems on a few cars with it. Even if you unhook the o2 sensors, the car should run better than it does. I've had plenty of stone stock ls1 cars that ran anywhere from 13.0s to 13.50s. It should run around 8.90s on street tires bone stock at least.
Old 09-04-2012, 08:20 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ZTwentyAteU
Seems like theres a possibility that the cats (or at least one) is clogged. I've seen it happen on ls1 cars, back when they were newer there were problems on a few cars with it. Even if you unhook the o2 sensors, the car should run better than it does. I've had plenty of stone stock ls1 cars that ran anywhere from 13.0s to 13.50s. It should run around 8.90s on street tires bone stock at least.
this exactly what I needed to here when I was at the track I was thinking that the cats might be clogged but we were not sure becuase we never seen that problem on a ls1
Originally Posted by flintwrench69
Quote:

Its real posssible the cats are partially clogged for it to be running that slow, especially since you have cat efficiency codes. Your 2.3 60 time is slow but with Mickeys on the back you should easily be in the 13s. You could pull both front o2 sensors & go drive it & see if it has better acceleration. Thats one way to see if the exhaust is restricted.
I'm just gonna do exhuast when it comes in this week and my plugs and some fluid changes drive it around and see what happens maybe I can ask my friend if I can ad my vin on his hp tuners to I'm pretty confident with this and I will let you guys know what happens thanks for all the advice

Old 09-04-2012, 08:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

OP for you to never have seen clogged cats on an LS1 before you haven't been around them very much. GM actually issued a service bulletin about it and would fix them free of charge...so it's a known and common issue. Hope you get it figured out.

Btw is it possible that it's not a LS1 and it's a 5.3 or 4.8 and just don't know. What are the casting #'s on the heads?
Old 09-04-2012, 10:47 AM
Teching In

yea I really haven't been just staring to get to know a little about then as I want to keep my formula but I do know forsure its an ls1 the heads a 853s

Old 09-04-2012, 10:57 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,692 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by BigBirdLS1
OP for you to never have seen clogged cats on an LS1 before you haven't been around them very much. GM actually issued a service bulletin about it and would fix them free of charge...so it's a known and common issue. Hope you get it figured out.
There are coatings on the cat substrate that can wear off or become ineffective, thus reducing the oxygen storage capacity of the cat, and increasing emissions - and this is the reason why you'll see codes 0420 and 0430. Those codes do not directly indicate a clogged cat at all, just that they are inefficient at reducing tail pipe emissions (if you remove the cats entirely, and don't turn off the rear O2s, you'll get these same codes). There is no code to indicate clogged cats. GM issued a service bulletin for this, which doesn't automatically indicate that they are clogged, but rather that they stop scrubbing the exhaust properly. GM extended the cat warranty to 10 years or 120k miles, and since the last F-body was built on 8/28/02, only people with late '02 cars that went into service after 9/4/02 would still be covered as of toady.

It is possibile that the cats could be clogged on this particular car, since something is obviously wrong with the car to be so down on power.

For a cat to actually become clogged, it is usually the result of the cat overheating at some point, due to too much fuel in the exhaust and a melted substrate (misfires dumping lots of raw fuel, ect.). Impact damage to the cat can also break up the substrate and restrict flow.
Old 09-04-2012, 12:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Is the car auto? Low on trans fluid? This will make the converter not transfer all the power to the transmission. My V6 auto ran 14.8@90mph with nothing more than a tune and an exhaust cutout.... something is definitely wrong with the car, not the driver.
Old 09-04-2012, 12:37 PM
Trunion King

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Latch
At WOT the car goes into open loop, so the 02 sensors have no impact on fuel trims in that instance.
True however when launching a car on the track especially with a M6, it's not going to be on WOT in instant. Not on stock rear, street tires, stock suspension. At most it'll probably launched at 3.5K so O2s are still in play then go to WOT if he gets a straight hit and not bog.

With a K&N filter, MAF would be def filthy causing to have false reading and O2s responding after the fact and fouling for possible excessive fuel.

Quick Reply: stock formula doing 15s ?