Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Entertain me this faster ls1 than mine

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2012, 11:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Entertain me this faster ls1 than mine

Ok here is the story my friend has a 98 z28 mine is an 01 z28 his cars first and second gear feel extremely good and his car pushes you back by berley tapping the gas so his car feels like a beast driven around both automatics

Mine feels like a slouch but if we race my car beats him everytime and my car feels more powerful in WOT than his

My question is when I drove his car it was fun because i felt all the power everywhere and mine only when i floor it whi is this?
Old 09-13-2012, 11:36 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

stall, shift kit, or tune. either or
Old 09-13-2012, 11:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

No stall not sure on shift kit but his torque feels way too good or my car is just something is wrong?
Old 09-14-2012, 01:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

two apples can grow from the same tree, doesnt mean they will taste the same.
Old 09-14-2012, 01:44 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by needtransam
No stall not sure on shift kit but his torque feels way too good or my car is just something is wrong?
Well it's a 98 which is the best year of the ls1!!!

jk lol

I know when I bought my 98 that it shifted hard, the tranny was slipping or something but would shift "hard" because of it and jerk you back... plus it was bone stock

prior to my 98 I owned a 01 white z28 and it had half the miles and zero noise when I went over speed bumps (more refined) and yes now that i think of it, it didnt bang the gears or feel like my 98 does... But I have time slips from irwindale 1/8 mile and guess what, it was a tad quicker..

It's not about how the car feels, it's what number it puts down.. unless your all about "feel"

if thats a case then get a cam for it and stall and you'll be all set and very happy...
Old 09-14-2012, 08:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I believe i do have a stall on mine but my car feels slow i have done a complete tune up, is it possible that their something wrong with my car
Old 09-14-2012, 09:16 AM
TECH Resident

His 98 will have a smaller throttle body cam on it vs ur 01 so 1/4 peddle on urs is more like 1/2 peddle on his, could one thing i have an 00 and switched to a bbk tb and uses the smaller cam so after i got the right throttle cable alittle throttle feels like more, i have more power too cause of the intake/tb but i can feel a throttle feel diff too

If u have a higher stall vs his stock stall urs will seem shitty unless u wot cause the stalls basically slipping till then, i have a truck with 3600 stall and its slow as **** till u get on it then it pulls like no other
Old 09-14-2012, 09:39 AM
TECH Addict

Lot of stock differences between those two cars, what are the mods on each?

Edit: saw you said stall in your sig, but your post says you believe you have a stall? How do you not know? But yes this would explain the difference, stock stall is gonna have better low speed blip throttle feel. My 3600 with just a little throttle to pass feels slow as ****, put the peddle down and its a different story.
Old 09-14-2012, 10:09 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,692 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Your sig lists all this stuff:

Lid, pacesetter headers, qtp y pipe magnaflow custom exhaust, cutout, unknown yank stall
...but you don't mention any mods on your friend's car. Is his stock? If so, I would certainly expect yours to be faster.

If you still have the stock tune with the headers, it's possibile that your A/F ratio is not ideal, and this could be causing a bit of a soggy part throttle feel. It would also be holding back your potential WOT power.

Your friend's car might also have a different gear than yours. There were two optional gear ratios for these cars with an auto, plus his may have been changed since you haven't mentioned if his car is modified or not. On cars with stock stalls, there is a performance advantage to higher numeric gear ratios, in addition to a change in the road feel of the car. Once you have a 3500+ stall, gears won't do much for performance at WOT but they definitely change the way the car feels at part throttle with a stall.

And lastly, as someone mentioned above, if you DO have a stall and if his is stock, then I would expect your part throttle feel to be more "loose" while his is more "tight". And I would also expect yours to be faster at WOT because of the stall, assuming his is stock. So this could definitely explain the difference.

Someone also metioned the throttle body cam size, and this is correct. Your '01 car takes more pedal input to open the throttle than his '98 does, so it will feel like you're giving it more pedal to get to the same rpm. This effect will be further exaggerated if you do in fact have a higher stall.

Originally Posted by Burken01
prior to my 98 I owned a 01 white z28 and it had half the miles and zero noise when I went over speed bumps (more refined)
It's not a matter of refinement, the underpinnings of these cars didn't change at all between '98 and '02. Things like this come down to tires/suspension and overall wear on the car. My '98 has much better road feel, makes no noise and generally "feels" better than my '02....but that is because my '98 has 16k miles and my '02 has 103k.

Also, base models with their original 16x8" wheels will have a smoother feeling ride than their 17x9" counterparts, although the 17x9" cars will definitely handle better when pushed to do so.
Old 09-14-2012, 11:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Your sig lists all this stuff:

...but you don't mention any mods on your friend's car. Is his stock? If so, I would certainly expect yours to be faster.

If you still have the stock tune with the headers, it's possibile that your A/F ratio is not ideal, and this could be causing a bit of a soggy part throttle feel. It would also be holding back your potential WOT power.

Your friend's car might also have a different gear than yours. There were two optional gear ratios for these cars with an auto, plus his may have been changed since you haven't mentioned if his car is modified or not. On cars with stock stalls, there is a performance advantage to higher numeric gear ratios, in addition to a change in the road feel of the car. Once you have a 3500+ stall, gears won't do much for performance at WOT but they definitely change the way the car feels at part throttle with a stall.

And lastly, as someone mentioned above, if you DO have a stall and if his is stock, then I would expect your part throttle feel to be more "loose" while his is more "tight". And I would also expect yours to be faster at WOT because of the stall, assuming his is stock. So this could definitely explain the difference.

Someone also metioned the throttle body cam size, and this is correct. Your '01 car takes more pedal input to open the throttle than his '98 does, so it will feel like you're giving it more pedal to get to the same rpm. This effect will be further exaggerated if you do in fact have a higher stall.

It's not a matter of refinement, the underpinnings of these cars didn't change at all between '98 and '02. Things like this come down to tires/suspension and overall wear on the car. My '98 has much better road feel, makes no noise and generally "feels" better than my '02....but that is because my '98 has 16k miles and my '02 has 103k.

Also, base models with their original 16x8" wheels will have a smoother feeling ride than their 17x9" counterparts, although the 17x9" cars will definitely handle better when pushed to do so.

correct sorry for not posting his mods, he has headers not cats, y pipe we both now have 3.23 gears his are stock and I change my rear end to a 3.23 gear one, we have the same bolt ons except mine has a "stall", why do I say "I think I have a stall" well because I had to replace the tranny once and when removed we found out it had a red stall a yank but im not sure on the size, so all mods are even except mine has a stall and a magnaflow exhaust with pacesetter headers and his has ebay replicas of OBX headers with an slp catback
Old 09-14-2012, 01:47 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

correct sorry for not posting his mods, he has headers not cats, y pipe we both now have 3.23 gears his are stock and I change my rear end to a 3.23 gear one, we have the same bolt ons except mine has a "stall", why do I say "I think I have a stall" well because I had to replace the tranny once and when removed we found out it had a red stall a yank but im not sure on the size, so all mods are even except mine has a stall and a magnaflow exhaust with pacesetter headers and his has ebay replicas of OBX headers with an slp catback
Based on this, I think the reason your car feels less responsive at light throttle is the stall and, to a lesser degree, the late model throttle body. This would also explain why yours is faster (the stall).
Old 09-14-2012, 01:48 PM
TECH Addict

Now that we know both mods, Id say you are def feeling the difference between stock and aftermarket stall speeds.
Old 09-14-2012, 06:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Is it that huge i mean his first gear literally pulls me back like crazy it feels like a manual when it shifts its just too good is their any way to know if that is the only thing that is making the difference
Old 09-15-2012, 09:45 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by usnfenix
two apples can grow from the same tree, doesnt mean they will taste the same.
True that maybe yours was made on a Friday afternoon
Old 09-15-2012, 11:02 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Is it that huge i mean his first gear literally pulls me back like crazy
Well this is obviously just a matter of perception and not reality because you are able to beat him. So it must not actually be accelerating as hard as you think it feels.

it feels like a manual when it shifts its just too good
This could be due to a shift kit.

Originally Posted by MonmouthCtyLS7
True that maybe yours was made on a Friday afternoon
I would be more concerned about a car made on Monday morning.
Old 09-17-2012, 11:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i see well im deciding either the TSP tune or the frost the only thing is that the frost only has 90 days for a retune and the TSP one offers 1 year not sure whats better
Old 09-17-2012, 12:20 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Where in Texas are you located? i can point you in the right direction for multiple local tuners that are damn good at what they do. Dont trust some mail order tune, thats the same as putting a superchips programmer on your car tunes cant be one size fits all every car is unique and a street or dyno tune would be the best thing.

I know of Tuners in Houston, and Austin an in dallas you have Tick and you can just drive there.
Old 09-17-2012, 12:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yeah thing is im in ELP so its far lol
Old 09-17-2012, 03:09 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

damn.. well Save money Drive to Reckart Performance Tuning in austin get a dyno tune and just do a cam install while your at it. Brian is a retailer for Livernois and England Green.
Old 09-20-2012, 07:13 AM
TECH Resident

Are u driving his car when it feels stronger or are u the passenger? I know ive been in my friends lighting and as a passenger it feels like it pulls like a mf and puts u in the seat but i can turn around get in my car and put 3 car lengths on him, didnt notice this persay till i had a friend DD me home in my car and i told him to get on it and i was like wow **** my car pulls hard, dont notice it as much driving, idk cause ur ready for it or holding the wheell but

Quick Reply: Entertain me this faster ls1 than mine