Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First time on slicks

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2012, 10:49 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackScreaminMachine
Slipping the clutch is the #1 reason why you frag the clutch and stand a really good chance of breaking the transmission. May work a few times but thats a ticking time bomb and the extended downside of needing a possible rebuild or replacement....

Just don't do it.
I would think slipping the clutch would be way better than dumping it. that's how I launched my car before I got a 9 inch and I had no problem never broke a tranny or the 10 bolt. all I can say is OP dump the clutch on the 10 bolt & let us know how that turned out.
Old 09-19-2012, 01:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by WS600461
last time i was at the track with et streets i was going around 3700 with a very quick relese on the clutch.i pulled a mid 1.80 my car bogged just a little but not bad i think if i would of had a little more presure in the tires it would of did better i think i had 14 ps.i ive always heard its better to spin a little off the line then dead hook. just play with the launch and psi and find what works best for that track.

Yea, a bit of spin is ideal. It keeps the motor from bogging.

Old 09-19-2012, 01:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by flintwrench69
I would think slipping the clutch would be way better than dumping it. that's how I launched my car before I got a 9 inch and I had no problem never broke a tranny or the 10 bolt. all I can say is OP dump the clutch on the 10 bolt & let us know how that turned out.

It varies from car to car.

My brother broke the rear end on his SS on the street with street tires, with an automatic and no mods.
Old 09-19-2012, 04:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i will also be a slicks virgin but with an A4. i just picked up a set of 28x10 Hoosiers. im H/C/I, FLT level 4 4l60e, SS3600, and some suspension goodies. also on a stock rear, it will be my only track visit this year so hoping it can at least survive 1 track day!!

any suggestion on how i should be launching?
Old 09-19-2012, 04:41 PM
On The Tree

Ive run an automatic before. I stall it up until the tires almost spin on the brake, then back off about 200 rpm. wait for the lights and hammer on it.
A 28 inch tire on a 3.23 rear sure sounds tall to me. But, as it says, i am a newb.
Old 09-19-2012, 04:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

uh.... maybe I missed it but what's you driveshaft situation?
Old 09-19-2012, 06:14 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by sepsis
It varies from car to car.

My brother broke the rear end on his SS on the street with street tires, with an automatic and no mods.
Yea so what's that got to do with launching a stick car at the track? Nothing at all. Yup you could break the stock rear anytime you go to the track. If you can't live with that fact you have no business being there. Chances are greater that it will break dumpin the clutch vs slippin it.
Old 09-19-2012, 06:38 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by imma_stocker
uh.... maybe I missed it but what's you driveshaft situation?
Still have the stock driveshaft. I'm hoping its a weaker point than the rear end, and might save me a little cash. Ill get a steel one when i break it.
Old 09-20-2012, 09:12 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Its not better, when you weld the clutch to the flywheel and need a tow home and then a replacement.

M6 cars need RPM to leave the line and handling that power requires upgrades and a good tire.
Old 09-20-2012, 10:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by 00ZNewb
Still have the stock driveshaft. I'm hoping its a weaker point than the rear end, and might save me a little cash. Ill get a steel one when i break it.
IMO neither is a weaker link. Hope you got a driveshaft loop under there or your underbody is gonna hurt. Which reminds me, still need to patch that hole in my cabin....
Old 09-20-2012, 11:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yea so what's that got to do with launching a stick car at the track? Nothing at all. Yup you could break the stock rear anytime you go to the track. If you can't live with that fact you have no business being there. Chances are greater that it will break dumpin the clutch vs slippin it.

Well hard guy, did you see the post I quoted and responded to? He was talking about rear ends and how his never broke in his manual vehicle. I posted about how some can potentially break even with an auto trans. I said "It varies from car to car," meaning that the OP should use caution launching with slicks, at the track, with a manual, on his stock 10 bolt.

Was my post that difficult for you to understand?
Old 09-20-2012, 12:03 PM
TECH Addict

F
Its not better, when you weld the clutch to the flywheel and need a tow home and then a replacement.

M6 cars need RPM to leave the line and handling that power requires upgrades and a good tire.
I never heard of anybody welding a clutch to a flywheel. I guess its possible. You mustve neen really dumpin that clutch at a pretty high rpm. All I can say is I never broke slippin the clutch, did it for almost 3 seasons with an LS7 clutch on DRs.
The clutch is still in good shape too which was a lil suprizing. Anyone wanna buy a LIGHTLY USED LS7 clutch?
My 60' times were in the 1.8s, anything better than that is very prone to breaking the rear in an M6 car.
Old 09-20-2012, 12:34 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by sepsis
Well hard guy, did you see the post I quoted and responded to? He was talking about rear ends and how his never broke in his manual vehicle. I posted about how some can potentially break even with an auto trans. I said "It varies from car to car," meaning that the OP should use caution launching with slicks, at the track, with a manual, on his stock 10 bolt.

Was my post that difficult for you to understand?
The OP asked for some helpful advice about taking his car to the track, burnouts & launching. How is what happened to your brothers car on stock power putting down the street helpful or significant in any way to the OPs question?
Old 09-20-2012, 12:58 PM
11 Second Club

Same here. Only I did pop the rear eventually, on the street... going into 3rd
Old 09-20-2012, 01:03 PM
11 Second Club

May not be much better, but it damn sure isn't worse. Break the rear end and you're still riding home with the tow truck driver. Besides, you would have to slip the **** out of it to do something like that. Slip it for about 1 sec(or less), just to avoid the initial bog. More just a light release than actually feathering it.

Like so:

Old 09-20-2012, 01:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

The OP asked for some helpful advice about taking his car to the track, burnouts & launching. How is what happened to your brothers car on stock power putting down the street helpful or significant in any way to the OPs question?

I thought it was helpful to tell him to be careful with his stock rear end while launching.
Old 09-23-2012, 07:50 PM
On The Tree

Well all i have to say is, sticky tires are sticky. Dropped 4 tenths in the eighth from tires alone, on a not so great run. I short shifted 2nd and it bogged me. 60 foot times didnt really impress me, best i saw all day was 2.07 dropping it at almost 4k rpm. Rear end held like a champ. The pacesetter header gaskets i used, not so much. Time for some higher priced ones.

All in all im thrilled with my 8.40 from 8.80 with just a tire change.

However. Im shifting into 3rd <100 ft from the trap. What would be my best solution for that? Gears? taller tire so i can stay in 2nd? raise the rev limiter?

Thanks
Old 09-24-2012, 12:21 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what rpm are you shifting at now?
Old 09-24-2012, 05:34 AM
On The Tree

around 5200-5500. only going by the factory tach for now, Tried a shift light but it didnt work on the car for some reason.
One pass i tried to make it in 2nd and i was in the rev limiter for >50 feet.

Quick Reply: First time on slicks