Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5.3 budget build. need advice

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2012, 09:07 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.3 budget build. need advice

Alright guys. Totally new here and to LS engines so bare with me. I've got a 68 camaro im putting back together. I've got around a 2-2.5k budget, maybe can afford a little more we'll see. My pops had a LS 5.3 layin around that he threw in when i bought the car. it had a few miles on it, tore it down yesterday and was shocked at how nice it was internally. Now my theory behind this is i got the engine for nothing (came with harness and ecu) i could go buy a ls1 for 1.5-2k if i really look hard. i figure i can put that money into building this that i save from buying a ls1 and be better off right?

I've been doing a little research and i think I'm looking to bring up to a 5.7. I know i need to swap the internals with it take it to a 5.7. I also am going to attempt to find a nice set of ls6 heads and an intake. I figure this is a good start. Now here is where im gonna throw the curve ball into the mix. I've also got a Vortech V-2 supercharger laying around. My intention is to use it. So that being said, here is my question. I'm pretty sure i read that the standard compression on the 5.3 is 9.5:1. If i swap the 5.7 internals with the addition of the ls6 heads where would i stand if i did not take them down at all? or should i? Do you think the ls6 head/intake combo would be sufficient enough for the vortech? Keep in mind im not looking to get super crazy with it or build some MAX HP engine. Also, depending on psi, what would you recommend for internals? I plan to ARP everything, but should i go as far as to see if i can budget in all forged internals? I'm not exactly sure what would be necessary in this scenario.

Thanks,
~Ash
Old 09-30-2012, 09:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Budget build and Forced Induction don't really go together, but if your going to bore it out and throw in some forged rods/pistons and look for some 317 casted heads. Talk to some vendors about the size of dish in your piston choice to keep you in the 9.5:1 - 10:1 compression range. I'm at 9.2:1 compression on my motor and next time around it will be a 10:1 compression. It's a little sluggish in the bottom end until the boost comes on.
Old 09-30-2012, 09:54 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by conan
Budget build and Forced Induction don't really go together, but if your going to bore it out and throw in some forged rods/pistons and look for some 317 casted heads. Talk to some vendors about the size of dish in your piston choice to keep you in the 9.5:1 - 10:1 compression range. I'm at 9.2:1 compression on my motor and next time around it will be a 10:1 compression. It's a little sluggish in the bottom end until the boost comes on.
I know budget doesn't really belong in that equation, but how i look at is i already have the engine and the kit. Most of the kits on their sites show advertised performance gains on what the claim is a stock engine. Now i realize the kit for the ls1 is discontinued, and i haven't seen one from them for the 5.3 so i know i will have to make some modifications to make it work which is no problem. I just don't want to bolt it on to something that's going to blow up in a few months even though they say it will safely raise the hp the the levels claimed on their ad. I'm just trying to figure out what i should do to make it a bit more durable, or if i even need to. I have seen a few people that claim to make high hp numbers on stock internals, not sure what exactly they are running. im assuming if people say the stock internals can handle 550-600rwhp most of the changes being made are going to be with the head and intake?
Old 09-30-2012, 11:24 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We have seen those take abuse up to that power level, but keep in mind its not guaranteed, we also see some give out at stock power as well.
POWERBOND - ASP - PRECISION INDUSTRIES - YANK - CIRCLE D - AND MORE!
NEW NUMBER (512)863-0900
Old 10-01-2012, 09:03 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Jake@Texas-Speed
We have seen those take abuse up to that power level, but keep in mind its not guaranteed, we also see some give out at stock power as well.
So would you recommend going after forged internals, otherwise i would just be rolling the dice?
Old 10-01-2012, 09:49 AM
11 Second Club

How much HP are you looking to get?
Old 10-01-2012, 12:23 PM
Teching In

Im honestly not a 100% sure yet. I was figurin it would land between 5-6, but like i said im pretty new to ls engines. Came from imports with turbos so those numbers are really just a guess. My plan was to put it together, make what upgrades i can and see where i stand.
Old 10-01-2012, 02:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 68Ash
I know budget doesn't really belong in that equation, but how i look at is i already have the engine and the kit. Most of the kits on their sites show advertised performance gains on what the claim is a stock engine. Now i realize the kit for the ls1 is discontinued, and i haven't seen one from them for the 5.3 so i know i will have to make some modifications to make it work which is no problem. I just don't want to bolt it on to something that's going to blow up in a few months even though they say it will safely raise the hp the the levels claimed on their ad. I'm just trying to figure out what i should do to make it a bit more durable, or if i even need to. I have seen a few people that claim to make high hp numbers on stock internals, not sure what exactly they are running. im assuming if people say the stock internals can handle 550-600rwhp most of the changes being made are going to be with the head and intake?
What ls1 kit are you talking about ?
Old 10-01-2012, 02:50 PM
Teching In

Well vortech had a kit they discontinued. The kit was sold with a v-9 supercharger i think and i dont even see those on the site. I will have to see if i can find the specs on one to find the major differences. I have a v-2. Im not sure of the model, i will have to take a look tonight.

Edit: i found the link to the old kit.
http://www.vortechsuperchargers.com/product.php?p=108
Old 10-01-2012, 04:02 PM
Teching In

V2-s trim. Belive its rated at 17psi/680hp just over 1000cfm 52k rpm.

Quick Reply: 5.3 budget build. need advice