Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

engine assembly help!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2012, 09:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default engine assembly help!!

Im assembling my 408 but i cannot find out where 2 things go. 1 was a random bolt i pulled out of my ls1 block on the side of it. But i dont recall what side or where it goes but it didnt seem to have a purpose other than to fill a hole.

The other being a brown cuetip looking that that i think came out of the back of the block but im not positive. Please help!!
Old 10-04-2012, 01:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by USMC5811
Im assembling my 408 but i cannot find out where 2 things go. 1 was a random bolt i pulled out of my ls1 block on the side of it. But i dont recall what side or where it goes but it didnt seem to have a purpose other than to fill a hole.

The other being a brown cuetip looking that that i think came out of the back of the block but im not positive. Please help!!
Got any pics on the bolt from the side of the block ?

The Q tip thing is VERY important. The bar bell blocks the oil so it can flow to the filter. It was a simple fix to save alot of machining for the oil flow in the ls blocks. With out it you wouldn't even make oil pressure. Reinstall it before you put the rear main cover on.
Old 10-04-2012, 02:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Where does the barbell go? I dont want to put it in the wrong hole lol

and as far as the bolt goes, i can take a pic of it and both sides of the block and post it. hopefully then someoen can tell me where to stick it lol
Old 10-04-2012, 06:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by USMC5811
Where does the barbell go? I dont want to put it in the wrong hole lol

and as far as the bolt goes, i can take a pic of it and both sides of the block and post it. hopefully then someoen can tell me where to stick it lol
Pic would help for sure.

The bar bell goes in the back of the block on the drivers side next to the crank. There is only one hole big enough to fit. You just push it in and the rear main cover holds it in place. Also when your taking pics post up a pic of the front of the engine. There is a frost plug behind the timing cover that needs to be in there as well for oil pressure to happen.

Quick Reply: engine assembly help!!