New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headers Cutout Torque Converter and Gears?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2012, 03:35 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headers Cutout Torque Converter and Gears?

I just picked up a 98 Z28 from Florida with 70k on it. Im trying to keep the Engine stock until i get more serious down the line and i was wondering what you guys think and any suggestions on the brands for new parts? Thanks
Old 10-12-2012, 06:38 PM
On The Tree

Hooker makes great headers
Old 10-12-2012, 07:10 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do searches on the components you are wondering about.
Old 10-12-2012, 07:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

a stall is the best starter mod for an auto ls1. get a set of decent headers, pacesetter or bbk. far as gears id go with 3.73's as the 4.10's will drone more at highway and kill more gas. a cutout? more of a noise mod then performance. the gain from a cutout is very small. if you want the best sound better off getting true duals.
Old 10-12-2012, 11:55 PM
On The Tree

yeah a mechanic recomended it to me, but do you think with these mods and a good pair of tires i could get in the twelves for the 1/4?
Old 10-13-2012, 12:51 AM
On The Tree

Definitely
Old 10-13-2012, 08:23 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by prokilllsx
Do searches on the components you are wondering about.
Yeah? Searches work great, but there is no greater advice or suggestions, from us members who have the things he is asking about. It seems like its getting harder and harder for Noobies to get help all of the sudden. Whats happening to the (brotherhood) we all suppose to have.

Its best to not post, and let those who are willing to help, chime in.
Old 10-13-2012, 08:51 AM
11 Second Club

Default Headers Cutout Torque Converter and Gears?

Originally Posted by Holloway5
I just picked up a 98 Z28 from Florida with 70k on it. Im trying to keep the Engine stock until i get more serious down the line and i was wondering what you guys think and any suggestions on the brands for new parts? Thanks

Lets do one at a time, and cheapest to most expensive...
Headers Cutout Torque Converter and Gears, can set you back $$$ wise, unless you can do the installation your self.
My suggestion on the mods you are asking about is to do the absolute minor ones first...
Lid, Below, TB Bypass, PnP TB, Trans Cooler. Not only are they very unexpensive, you can do all these yourself, regardless of mechanical skill.

Lid... You can find used, or buy new for around 100.
TB Bypass, just go to Home Depot, get a barb fitting and two hose clamps.
Smooth Below, Again go to home Depot, and get a FENCO rubber fitting for 5 bucks.
Trans Cooler, I used Hayden 26,000 GVW, picked it up at my local autoparts store, its good quality, same as B&M but with different name.
Cut out, Yes thats a must! 28 bucks from summit, 3'' Non Electronic. I have this and there is not much hasle opening it. Can do it in no time, and always leave it open.
PNP Throttle Body, Look up POTZ on ebay... Good prices!
Once you get these minor stuff done, I would then jump on the Headers.

LT headers, are a must, the bigger the primary the better. I have a used stainles steel SLP set, that i got for cheap from a member on this site. Gained 30rwhp from shorty headers. OBX has some good prices on new ones and are of good quality. Friends of mine have them and are happy with em. Pacesetters fit great too tho, and are cheap.

Torque Converter, So many options but I personally have a 3800 Vigilante Stall. A 900+ unit that i got off a friend for 375 with warranty and 1 free restall. But like i said, you have options, you can get a 3600 from PTC at a good price, New.

Gears, I wouldnt waste my time or money. Usually the gains from gears are minimal once you have a stall. Im still on my stock 323gears, and not planing on swaping.

Hope this helps!
And dont be shy to ask. We were all stock at one point and didnt know which way to go.

GOOD LUCK OP!

Last edited by LASTOFTHEBREED02T/A; 10-13-2012 at 08:57 AM.
Old 10-13-2012, 03:50 PM
On The Tree

I will be doing most of the installation myself but thank you i appreciate it!
Old 10-13-2012, 05:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Port your throttle body yourself and save some money! I did.
Old 10-14-2012, 12:49 PM
Launching!

Decide what your goals are so you don't buy parts now only to change them later! Start with the free air mods then move to the filter, lid, bellows, TB bypass, porting the TB at this point probably won't gain you much but if you're up to, go ahead. Exhaust is the next step, LTs, Y pipe and catback. Now you should get a tune unless you want to change the gears,( many have said that gears made the biggest gain in their mods) but thats your call. I would wait on the converter if you're thinking about a cam install. Cam and converter need to work together. Hope this helps, Good Luck and post your results!!
Old 10-17-2012, 08:48 AM
On The Tree

Thanks guys but i have one last question, is a torque converter hard on your transmission?
Old 10-17-2012, 09:31 AM
11 Second Club

Where are you from Holloway5?
Old 10-18-2012, 07:54 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Holloway5
Thanks guys but i have one last question, is a torque converter hard on your transmission?

Yes, without a transmission cooler, you will burn it up Fast. Converters produce lots of heat, thats why its a must you get an external Transmission Cooler, as i already mentioned. 50bucks for a hayden is so well worth it. Even if you dont have an aftermarket Stall yet.
Old 10-19-2012, 03:05 AM
Staging Lane

I've always felt that, without question, the first mod that should be considered for an A4 is a stall. A good converter isn't cheap, but it's the best bang for the buck you're going to find, this side of giggle gas. Until you've done it, you can't appreciate how much a stall can wake these cars up. Just try to formulate a plan before hand, in terms of what your goals are for the car, and how wild a cam you plan to run, and match the converter accordingly.
Old 10-19-2012, 04:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have to agree on the stall and tranny cooler. It is something YOU CAN do yourself, trust me you can, and is worth every penny. Then I would do the lid, long tube headers(my Pacesetters have lasted a long time now and I love them), and if you can't afford the cat back you can do the cutout. I have had a cutout on almost all Fbodies I ever owned and they are a cheap upgrade that will give the gains of a catback for a lot cheaper......but honestly they just don't sound all that great and definitely don't sound as good as a quality catback such as the GMMG or a true dual setup. I would recommend the catback if you can afford it because it really does sound a lot better. Good luck with the car and don't be hesitant to ask questions even if you get a few that always say SEARCH and DONT ASK.....Ask.
Old 10-19-2012, 05:52 PM
12 Second Club

got one that you need to add to your list that is simple and guaranteed to add decent gains with an easy bolt on that will also be needed more as you add the parts your discussing in this thread.....Tires...... get some good dr's on light wheels and maybe some skinnies too , easy mod , good ET return on investment
Old 10-21-2012, 11:47 AM
On The Tree

Thanks Guys, and prokilllsx im from Illinois but i had the car shipped here from Florida and it was there its whole life.
Old 08-04-2013, 05:19 PM
On The Tree

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but I finally ended up getting the majority of this stuff done and it turned out to be pretty good. I went with Hooker headers, Y pipe, Cutout, Vig 2800 stall (I know its pretty small), Transgo HD2 shift Kit, and a lid. My rear end I just ended up ordering I went with the S60 with 373's and a spool. Later this fall I have a Cam set up with all the supporting mods, just wanted to say thanks to the guys that got me started.
Old 08-04-2013, 07:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice little setup. Should be fun to drive around.

Quick Reply: Headers Cutout Torque Converter and Gears?