New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

buying a 2000 Trans Am LS1 6 spd. What to look for??

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2012, 04:54 PM
j57

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default buying a 2000 Trans Am LS1 6 spd. What to look for??

It has 89,000 miles. going to do a vin check tonight. Besides a compression test (btw, what is good compression on these), what else should I look out for that would be 'model specific'. I'm pretty mechanically inclined. I also see that it is good to listen for the howling rear end. Thanks guys. J. Oh. I am getting it for $4,500. Has a check engine light that I will be hooking into as well.
Old 11-01-2012, 05:42 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i wouldnt worry about the rear end... worse case you can pick up another 10 bolt for like $200 hows the condition of the dash? those things will bug you and are expensive to do a fix on.. the trans in these cars are tough as long as it goes through all the gears. the ones that usually give people hell is switching into 3rd or 4th at high RPM's some valvetrain noise is common on these LS1's mine sounds like a sewing machine and it has 88k miles. at 89k the clutch might be ready to give out depending on how it was driven but mainly just basic stuff and cosmetics... knowing these fbodies the engine light is probably a bad Cat converter. throw some longtubes on it and tune it and be done
Old 11-01-2012, 06:17 PM
On The Tree

if its a good car, holy hell thats a good price.
Old 11-01-2012, 10:14 PM
On The Tree

compression will vary but you want to make sure the compression is within each other if i remember correctly it should be between 90-110 psi..if you have a cylinder lower than the others (they should be between 5-10 psi of each other) than you know the compression is off prob do to rings, 2000s are common for that (personal experience) also what is up with that car? like mods other problems, that seems pretty low...i bought my 2000 m6 with 109 on the clock for 5500 and i haven't really seen a better deal on a manual with as low of miles in the chicagoland area, just make sure who ever is selling it doesnt want to just dump it thats why its so cheap
Old 11-01-2012, 10:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like a decent deal to me ..
And what's up with the compression check have you guys really seen tired motors in these cars at under 100k???
Kinda going to be a pain to do a compression check it the guys drive way,!!
Do cars get rusty where your from ???
Old 11-02-2012, 12:37 PM
On The Tree

you never know what people do to their car, they may have gotten the idea to put bigger injectors in their car without a tune, and wash down the cylinders therefore killing their compression, or had a bad tune and somoene messed with the compression...i do agree doing a check in their driveway would take a while and be ignorant, bring it over to a shop have them look at it..they prob wont do a ct but they can look for signs of having lower compression and overall problems with the car

Quick Reply: buying a 2000 Trans Am LS1 6 spd. What to look for??