New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ahhhh.......im driving myself crazy....help!

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2012, 11:29 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ahhhh.......im driving myself crazy....help!

How do I get rid of the "scared some things gonna break" or (listens to every little sound) "that doesn't sound right" attitude. I find myself worrying about the car more than I enjoy it. Don't get me wrong. I love the car. But I'm so distracted about what "could" or "might" happen. Anyone else deal with this. I guess its ocd in a way.
Old 12-05-2012, 11:51 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

same here man. always listening to the trans, the rear end , and the ticking/clatter from the stock valvetrain... my solution.. a custom sound system to drown out everything except for the exhaust as WOT =]
Old 12-05-2012, 12:02 PM
On The Tree

I did that....even replaced all the speakers with alpine/kicker with a double din DVD player to "Distract" (for lack of a better term) me from all listed above. But shut it off while I'm driving to take a listen for anything new that might have popped up in the 5min since I stopped listening.....Its ridiculous I know. I wish I could just go numb and rip through gears til 6k on every shift.
Old 12-05-2012, 12:27 PM
Teching In

It's an FBody, it's going to rattle.

Problem solving skills: Buy loud exhaust to drown out all of the rattling and if something does break, use it as an excuse to upgrade
Old 12-05-2012, 12:36 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by blknSS
How do I get rid of the "scared some things gonna break" or (listens to every little sound) "that doesn't sound right" attitude. I find myself worrying about the car more than I enjoy it. Don't get me wrong. I love the car. But I'm so distracted about what "could" or "might" happen. Anyone else deal with this. I guess its ocd in a way.
Worrying about the car breaking will not prevent it from breaking, so all your doing is causing yourself unnecessary stress.

Something on your car WILL break eventually. The best thing you can do is keep up with the maintenance and set some cash aside for when the inevitable happens. It's just a car, not worth stressing yourself out over it.
Old 12-05-2012, 01:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2 solutions to this:

1. Don't beat on the car if you are afraid of it breaking. The trans/motor/rear end can last a LONG time if they aren't beaten on constantly

2. Learning how to work on cars will build your confidence in that, even if something breaks, you have the knowledge to repair it = SAVE $$$$ and lots of it by avoiding labor
Old 12-05-2012, 02:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

The old Doom & Gloom syndrone. Your kinda reading in the wrong place because this forum is full of everykind of F-Body horror story you can think of. All you can do is keep the regular maintance up on the car. Keep air in the tires, oil in the engine and pray somebody doesn't pull a broadside in a Caddy in your lane.
Old 12-05-2012, 03:22 PM
Staging Lane

I think being paranoid about noises is normal at first. I did the same thing. I analyzed everything. I actually learned a lot about F-bodies that way. Now I hear a noise and know what it is and where it coming from. Use it as an opportunity to learn. I would also trying to pay attention to the common things that break so you know what to pay attention too.
Old 12-05-2012, 03:56 PM
On The Tree

Ahh mechanics ear. I still didn't this and have since day one. I just turn up the radio when I wanna drive er like a camaro. Then of course turn it back down to listen lol. I think it's real common bud
Old 12-05-2012, 08:16 PM
On The Tree

i listen to my car alot and used to worry about breaking stuff on my car but then when i got a daily driver i didnt worry as much. i still listen for things but that dosent stop me from beating the hell out of it and if i break something o well ( not that i enjoy spending money to fix things)but thats what i bought the car for.

Quick Reply: ahhhh.......im driving myself crazy....help!