New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Money VS Mods

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2004 | 05:29 PM
TECH Regular

Race the guys at the track. If they win, they win. If they lose, they lose. Go get some mcdonalds afterwards and have a good time.

If you are embarrassed after you lose, you drove like crap. Learn to drive better. If you drove well and lost, make your car faster. The track is the EASIEST place to learn what you need to do to your car, or yourself. Why be afraid to take it out there and run it? I drive a toyota celica (currently), and I'd be happy to run against any person on this message board. I'd be happy to run against a Ferrari. Because it's just about running the car, not about me winning. If I lost (which I would), I'd know that my car needs more juice.

People get so caught up in the "my car must rule all" philosophy that racing becomes this sneaky game where you can't race anybody unless you are sure to destroy them. You come on the message board asking for times and stats and people that have raced people like this before and what mods did they have and blah blah blah. If that's what you are really after, leave your car stock and race Uhaul trucks all day long. Then you can point and laugh when you win. Hopefully.

Also, you need to throw your dream car in the trashcan. Because if you aren't prepared to start on that right now, it ain't gonna happen. And obviously, since you are trying to figure out the cheapest way to beat your buddies with less than spectacular cars, it ain't gonna happen. The Lingenfelter TT Vette runs about a 9 second quarter last time I looked, and it costs around $160,000. Your carbon fiber body would #1 be insanely expensive, and #2 probably be pretty hazardous to your health...since carbon fiber is similar to asbestos, you'd have to make sure it was quite clean. But if you want to drive around in the cancer mobile, more power to you.

Why don't you just make one of these:

http://www.dodge.com/tomahawk/flash.html
Old 05-05-2004 | 08:20 AM
z98
TECH Fanatic

The tomohawk won't be making 1.5 g's on a skid pad. The prototype can't even turn!

Your carbon fiber body would #1 be insanely expensive
I thought there was something for like $5000?
Old 05-05-2004 | 08:54 AM
TECH Regular

I'm sure he can build one that will. If he can make the car in his profile, he can certainly make a tomahawk that will pull 1.5 g's. And you can't beat an estimated top speed of 420mph.

Out of morbid curiosity, I'm getting a quote on a CF body. I do know that it depends on the kind of CF you get (different weaves are different prices), and it would depend on just how much of the body you wanted to make CF.

However, considering that a good carbon fiber hood will typically run you around $1000, I'd say that $5000 for the entire body would be quite a low estimate.
Old 05-06-2004 | 01:47 PM
TECH Regular

Morbid curiosity satisfied.

Entire car would be $15000-$20000.
Old 05-08-2004 | 11:02 AM
Teching In

so here is what happened track day.... With a spent clutch and some spent eagle f1's my first time to the track with this car i got a best of 13.3 @ 110 MPH judging by the mph the car has enough ***** to push and i think i can drop my time a significant amount my 60' was a 2.17 , one of the things i should have done which i didnt think of at the time was probably to drop my tire pressure a bit to better my off tha line go, also my issues with the cars equipment didnt help any...
1 ran that kid in the STI once and at the end of the track (with a buddy in the car with me) i was front bumper of my car at the rear bumper of his i clocked in at 108MPH he clock 102.
The way i see it is this race isnt over yet because his first time to the track his very best was 13.5 , his 2nd time to the track the very best was 13.3 , and now he was up there for a 3rd time where he posted i beleive a 13.1
My first time i managed a 13.3 and i gotta admit my driving SUCKED!!! I got the foot dance down a little bit ,
my main issues were instead of dumping the clutch at 1500RPM (which roasted the tires) i need to ride the clutch out at about 2500RPM.
the nights best run was equal to his 2nd nights best run so i want some more practice at the track a little bit maybe like 3-5 more runs and a new clutch and i think i have what it takes to beat him... (He was also icing down his engine intercooler etc... and claimed he wasn't when my buddy saw him in the back doing it.... cheap as bitch!!)

my first run that day i got a M******** 13.8! spun all 1st most of 2nd... my 2nd run was a 14.5 when i miss shifted... ER bad start brought my confidence way down which rendered me some shittier times yet again but i man'ed up and tried again each run faster than the last... 13.5 13.4 13.3 (<~~~ and thats when i got elimated because bracket racing started and i broke out of my 13.4 dial in).

what a night, crazy **** went down,
any thoughts on that MPH Vs E.T i think i could click off a 13.0 - 13.1 judging by what i have pulled.

its a stock 2002 WS6 T-top with the MAF screen out air filter removed @ the track and an 80 LBS weight reduction, slipping clutch and baldy tires.
are those some decently respectable times?
Old 05-08-2004 | 11:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

Get some real tires (Drag radials would be really good, ET Streets would be better, slicks would be best.)
Leave the passenger in the staging lanes.
PRACTICE!
Keep reading LS1Tech.

You're not far off from making some good times.

Oh, and start saving up for a 9" rearend.
Old 05-08-2004 | 06:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

LOL This whole thread has kept me more than entertained this week. Right now it's on a positive note, and that's a refreshing first. Look guys, you all know your stuff. You all know it backwards/forwards, and inside out. The end goal may be out of reach, but the way I see it is this: If you're plan is to get to the moon, and the closest you ever come is climbing to the top of Mt. Everest, then you're still the man who's done what not even .01% of men accomplish in their lives. When I said my goal were the same as his, I wasn't kidding (Though by the flack I took, I amost wished I was ). I know full well that it's not even the moon, we're talking like different universes here, but hey.... If I work hard enough at it, maybe I'll make it into low orbit. I think he knows full well which parts are do-able, and which ones aren't. Me, I say rock on, and do whatever you can do w/ the time you've got.

Quick Reply: Money VS Mods