Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS6/BBK intake manifold swap

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2013, 10:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default LS6/BBK intake manifold swap

I'm on my phone and search isn't working for me, I know this has been answered before so links are fine if they answer the questions.

I know for an LS6 intake you need the coolant crossover and the rear plugs. Do you need those for the BBK as well?

If you get a used manifold (BBK or LS6) do you also have to purchase gaskets? If so, are they different between the two? Part numbers would be great if they're readily available for gaskets. If I got a new one of either would it come with gaskets?

Will any modifications need to be made to either intake get it to fit? I know some people shave the ribs on the LS6, is that required? Does the BBK have something similar?
Old 02-13-2013, 12:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go with a used ls6 from either here or eBay, they go for around 350$. You do not need new coolent lines for and ls6...that's why you shave the fines off the bottom. Yes you need new gaskets..(any vendor/eBay). You'll have to get rid of your egr with either intake. Everything just.swaps over with the ls6. Cheap easy to install mod.
Old 02-13-2013, 05:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

EGR and AIR is already gone. How strong are the LS6 manifolds? I'm a little nervous about cracking the manifold when breaking and shaving the fins off. If I got a used one that is already de-ribbed fine, but if not, would it be worth the extra $70 to get the coolant kit?
Old 02-13-2013, 07:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Your not gonna break it unless you use a sledgehammer. You and either hammer/chisel...dremmel.../sand. 20min your done no problems.. Tons of writeups on this. The stock ls1 coolent lines are actually more efficient than the ls6..Lots of write up/search facts on that as well.
Old 02-16-2013, 10:03 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Do it right and grab the lines for 50 bucks....
Old 02-17-2013, 07:12 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by justin hover
Your not gonna break it unless you use a sledgehammer. You and either hammer/chisel...dremmel.../sand. 20min your done no problems.. Tons of writeups on this. The stock ls1 coolent lines are actually more efficient than the ls6..Lots of write up/search facts on that as well.
go to about 13 minutes in the video
Old 02-17-2013, 07:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Exact video I used...that's exactly why you don't need new coolent lines
Old 02-19-2013, 11:28 PM
Launching!

If you break the intake with a hammer and chisel you should video it because I wanna know how you did it. I think I used a hammer and putty spreader.... Lol. Dremel will take longer. Ls1howto.com is how I did mine, very detailed instructions with pictures. You can get your gaskets at oreileys or pretty much any auto parts store too to save you time. They might have to order it but itl get there alot faster.
Old 02-20-2013, 02:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Buford17
If you break the intake with a hammer and chisel you should video it because I wanna know how you did it. I think I used a hammer and putty spreader.... Lol. Dremel will take longer. Ls1howto.com is how I did mine, very detailed instructions with pictures. You can get your gaskets at oreileys or pretty much any auto parts store too to save you time. They might have to order it but itl get there alot faster.
I did mine like that also, only thing different is I crimped and brazed the end of the crossovers so I wouldn't have to do the bolt and hose method of sealing it up.

Quick Reply: LS6/BBK intake manifold swap