New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lean, Backfiring, Rough Idle?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 08:40 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So I left my doors open a long time last night working on the window sweep/cracked door panels and I ended up killing the battery, not even low charge, I mean completely dead. (Interior Lights)...Not that big of a deal other than I probably shortened the life of the battery but when I finally got the battery charged back up and started up the car it ran really really bad.

It's hard to explain but the car kept surging for about 30 seconds, would drop down to about 300-400 RPM and then shoot up to 1500 until it finally stabilized at around 800. I let her warm up and gave it a few revs to see how it would react...it reved up fine when I gave it gas but when the RPMs were coming back down it would fall down to 300-400 RPMs almost die..then jump back up to 800.

I'm thinking oxygen sensor as of now...the guy who worked on it last is really good (Taught automechanics for 30 years). He put a smoke machine on it so I'm thinking a vacuum leak is probably not the problem now.

Is there an easy way to test an oxygen sensor? I've got a good multi-meter/scan tool if that helps.
Old 03-14-2013, 10:07 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

check your PCV system.. mine did the almost die thing before i redit the whole system.. works fine now
Old 09-24-2015, 05:28 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by s7ven
So I left my doors open a long time last night working on the window sweep/cracked door panels and I ended up killing the battery, not even low charge, I mean completely dead. (Interior Lights)...Not that big of a deal other than I probably shortened the life of the battery but when I finally got the battery charged back up and started up the car it ran really really bad.

It's hard to explain but the car kept surging for about 30 seconds, would drop down to about 300-400 RPM and then shoot up to 1500 until it finally stabilized at around 800. I let her warm up and gave it a few revs to see how it would react...it reved up fine when I gave it gas but when the RPMs were coming back down it would fall down to 300-400 RPMs almost die..then jump back up to 800.

I'm thinking oxygen sensor as of now...the guy who worked on it last is really good (Taught automechanics for 30 years). He put a smoke machine on it so I'm thinking a vacuum leak is probably not the problem now.

Is there an easy way to test an oxygen sensor? I've got a good multi-meter/scan tool if that helps.

I recently had the same issue. It turned out to be the o ring on the egr pipe going into the intake manifold got sucked into it partially. 15 bucks at O'Reilly and fixed instantly.
Old 09-24-2015, 07:59 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by parrishj82

I recently had the same issue. It turned out to be the o ring on the egr pipe going into the intake manifold got sucked into it partially. 15 bucks at O'Reilly and fixed instantly.
It's been a while so I don't remember everything I tried but shortly after my last post I installed kooks lt headers with true duals. After that install the lean condition came back with a vengeance and was resolved by new O2 sensors. I have an SES light all the time now but it's related to getting rid of the cats and AIR system, no more lean conditions.

My car doesn't have EGR but in summary it took new PCV, intake gaskets, and O2 sensors to finally get rid of the code.

Quick Reply: Lean, Backfiring, Rough Idle?