Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wheelspin @ 60mph?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 09:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by slikrider20
Where the heck do you live for the air temp to be -40?
Yeah, -40F airtemps, there is no way you're driving an fbody through that much snow. Usually the only people retarded enough to drive in -40F type temps and conditions are a bunch of cowboy truckers hauling pipe/supplies up to Prudhoe Bay.
Old 03-06-2013, 10:25 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's possible you're spinning but, I seriously doubt it. Sounds more like a slipping clutch to me.
Old 03-06-2013, 10:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

If you are spinning you would know for sure. You would feel it become unstable on the back end, unless you're only spinning one tire. But from the info and description given I would definitely say clutch! Not only because of the description of how it feels, but mostly because you said it happened in 3rd, then also in 4th. Lighting up the tires at 60 in 4th gear is not easy. And again, you would definitely know if you were burning rubber from the actions of the car.
Old 03-07-2013, 12:59 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by KissMyTushZ28
\And again, you would definitely know if you were burning rubber from the actions of the car.
Lol you've been in my car when i broke the tires loose at 80 shifting to 3rd
Old 03-07-2013, 01:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

This is true but we definitely knew what was happening lol!!
Old 03-07-2013, 02:36 AM
Teching In

OK so this pas few day was great weather here in switzerland!
So i tried to recreate the posted events, however i was not able to do so. No wheelspin or clutchslipping the car ran perfectly fine (it was so awesome ).
But ill defenatly will keep an eye on it.

Now i have another unrelated question.
While my driving i kept missing second gear for some reason and i felt like total newbie driving until i realised it prevents you from going into second gear whenever the skip shift light comes on.
Now is this really a thing and if can you disable it somehow?
Or am i just bad with the gearbox atm cause i just started using it?

Thx
X
Old 03-07-2013, 04:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Check out SLP Parts. The have a skip shift eliminator. Its plug and play very simple.
Old 03-07-2013, 09:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by KissMyTushZ28
Check out SLP Parts. The have a skip shift eliminator. Its plug and play very simple.
or if your cheap like me go to radio shack and get a resistor.....do some research, that mod is on here somewhere...
Old 03-07-2013, 07:05 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by zacht
or if your cheap like me go to radio shack and get a resistor.....do some research, that mod is on here somewhere...
the resistor may be cheap but the flight to the neares Radio Shack from Switzerland may be a killer

now that you say skip shift is still in place it makes me question your earlier post that the car was tuned.
Old 03-13-2013, 08:56 AM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by murphinator
the resistor may be cheap but the flight to the neares Radio Shack from Switzerland may be a killer

now that you say skip shift is still in place it makes me question your earlier post that the car was tuned.
I'm sure the us is not the only place on earth to have resistors...

Either way, not everyone opts to have the skip shift removed at the time of the tune. Esp since there aren't a whole lot of f bodies in Switzerland, I'm sure there are even less tuners, and less people that know as much about them as people over here. What seems to be common sense to us, could be total left field info to other people.

I don't doubt that it's tuned if it has decent mods.
Old 03-20-2013, 02:45 AM
Teching In

Ok, im kind of getting a little frustrated now!

Car works absolutely brilliant the whole weekend + Monday. Yet yesterday same thing happened again:

55mph in 3rd -> engine revs, no acceleration, speedo stays at 55 (i think rpm was at around 3k but dont quote me on that)

So i tired it in 4th since from what everyone told me the higher the gear the more stress on the transmission (right?).
Simply wasnt possible to do in 4th gear.

Now the weird thing!
after a series of failed attempts in 4th i went back to 3rd gear to try it again(literally 5min later) nothing! the car accelerated fine: same gear, same speed, same rpm....

what the hell

So i thought to myself maybe it was the road (slippery road or something although it was absolutely dry on the streets). I turned around to test my theory and check for any kind of burned rubber marks... nothing

am i losing my mind? anyone got a clue what the hell is going on?
X
Old 03-20-2013, 01:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You're not spinning tires, you wont see any rubber marks. You're clutch is slipping, intermittent occurrences could be caused by your clutch master cylinder, small factory hose outlets, trash in the clutch fluid, or possible your slave cylinder.
Old 03-20-2013, 07:51 PM
12 Second Club

maybe you have a fluid leak and a drip is getting on the clutch from time to time?
Old 03-20-2013, 10:45 PM
Staging Lane

Putting it in a higher gear will put more strain on the clutch and normaly will cause it to slip....however, it might be that when you tried it in fourth versus third at 55mph you were at lower hp/torque on the powerband and therefore it just wouldn't slip, whereas in third you were at a higher hp/torque in the powerband and caused it to slip. Just guessing. When I've had clutches go out before in cars/trucks/motorcycles, it normaly happens while shifting hard on NA vehicles, at max boost on turbocharged vehicles, or while going up a steep hill. Having said that, it's not always consistant in the beginning. At first when they start to slip and get hot they sometimes will slip and grip. If you ever watch a semi truck become real jerky with the cab rocking back and forth while a driver is backing up, it's because his clutch is overheating and slipping and gripping. The only thing that baffles me is the speedometer staying the same. Maybe it's just slipping a little bit right now? Don't know...good luck and let us know when you figure it out so we can all learn from it.
Old 04-12-2013, 06:39 AM
Teching In

I just wanted to give a quick update:

The car is now nearly undrivable... in 2 weeks it's gone from the occasinal clutch slip to 2/3/4/5 gear slipping and im actually starting to have trouble accelerating at all.

So now that im in need of a new clutch i would love iv you guys could point me towards the right direction to go:

Im look for somthing that will withstand fruther notifications (500+ hp just in case if i ever get crazy).
And i have no clue where to order since like previously stated i doubt i can get something like this here in switzerland anywhere near. So if you have any reccomendet dealers for shipping international wide that would be great.

When i finally replace the clutch i will have to take the trans out (obviously) are there anything things in the progress i should get my head around like other parts to replace aswell?

Thx for your input
X
Old 04-12-2013, 08:28 AM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi,
When I changed the clutch, I popped in a new flywheel too, aluminium with a steel insert ring. Also changed the slave cylinder with thrust bearing (throwout bearing). The chap i ordered from is in the UK, so may be of use to you as you are in Europe. http://www.aldersautomotive.co.uk/
He does all sort of transmission parts, although he dosn't have clutches listed its worth sending him an email or a phone call, he is very helpful and knowledgable.

This was the one i got for around 700 GBP.

My old clutch got a bit hot, just from slipping it by driving around carefully. My problem was the master cylinder in the end. I changed that too. This is a right pain to get to.

A couple more images from the clutch swap...http://www.solent-renegades.co.uk/me...utch-swap.html
The one with me under the dash was trying to get to two bolts holding the master cylinder in place.
Old 04-12-2013, 11:56 AM
11 Second Club

Half these retards saying they get wheel spin at 60+ with their slow fbodies are just trying to sound cool in front of a new owner. You obviously figured out it was your clutch tho, good luck man.

Quick Reply: Wheelspin @ 60mph?