New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Most HP you can recover from dirty fuel filter?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2013, 11:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Most HP you can recover from dirty fuel filter?

Will be replacing the fuel filter on my Ls1 Camaro soon. The car has almost 100,000 miles on it and it has never been changed. Any chance of picking up maybe 5HP on a new filter or maybe increased fuel economy?
Old 03-17-2013, 11:44 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You may pick up 5hp that was lost from it, sure, and possibly see fuel economy come back. Probably a very small gain but every bit helps. It is definitely satisfying enough to know that you're getting nice clean fuel in the engine for the first time in 100,000 miles! It's an easy replacement and you'll probably find yourself doing it a little more often after seeing how easy and cheap it is!
Old 03-17-2013, 11:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by SteveWs6
You may pick up 5hp that was lost from it, sure, and possibly see fuel economy come back. Probably a very small gain but every bit helps. It is definitely satisfying enough to know that you're getting nice clean fuel in the engine for the first time in 100,000 miles! It's an easy replacement and you'll probably find yourself doing it a little more often after seeing how easy and cheap it is!
Nice, I'm interested to look at my fuel filter once I pull it off and see how dirty it is. Since I'm racing the car again every little bit helps.

Noticed you have a ported TB, how much did that help your car out? Could you feel the difference at all?

I just ordered one, started a thread on it here asking some questions:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/new-ls1-o...ower-part.html
Old 03-17-2013, 11:56 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by NoHope
Nice, I'm interested to look at my fuel filter once I pull it off and see how dirty it is. Since I'm racing the car again every little bit helps.

Noticed you have a ported TB, how much did that help your car out? Could you feel the difference at all?

I just ordered one, started a thread on it here asking some questions:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/new-ls1-o...ower-part.html
You will see a lot of very dirty fuel come out of that filter. I changed mine this winter and it hadn't been changed in about 5 years. I feel that it helped make a difference however I did a lot of tuneup stuff at once so I can't tell what it alone did.

As far as the ported TB, to be completely honest, it was on the car when I bought it. But I saw that you have a lid. The lid plus the TB should help quite a bit, at least enough to feel the throttle response. Once you tune it up real good and put the ported TB along with the exhaust you have and all, it might not be a bad idea to start thinking of doing a tune on it if you haven't already.
Old 03-18-2013, 12:00 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by SteveWs6
You will see a lot of very dirty fuel come out of that filter. I changed mine this winter and it hadn't been changed in about 5 years. I feel that it helped make a difference however I did a lot of tuneup stuff at once so I can't tell what it alone did.

As far as the ported TB, to be completely honest, it was on the car when I bought it. But I saw that you have a lid. The lid plus the TB should help quite a bit, at least enough to feel the throttle response. Once you tune it up real good and put the ported TB along with the exhaust you have and all, it might not be a bad idea to start thinking of doing a tune on it if you haven't already.
Yeah, speaking of tune ups, I need to change my plugs and wires too, will probably do those soon as well.

Yeah, just ordered the ported & polished TB with coolant bypass lines, guess those lines help in some small way. Will make 3 minor mods:

-P&P TB
-Lid
-Catback exhaust

By leaving it untuned am I going to hurt anything or make it run lean? Or would getting a tune just maximize the horsepower from the mods?
Old 03-18-2013, 08:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A4 cars can gain a lot bone stock with some trans tuning.

Gains elsewhere also. Mail order would work fine.
Old 03-18-2013, 10:51 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by NoHope
Yeah, speaking of tune ups, I need to change my plugs and wires too, will probably do those soon as well.

Yeah, just ordered the ported & polished TB with coolant bypass lines, guess those lines help in some small way. Will make 3 minor mods:

-P&P TB
-Lid
-Catback exhaust

By leaving it untuned am I going to hurt anything or make it run lean? Or would getting a tune just maximize the horsepower from the mods?
Those are all great mods for these cars. Plugs and wires, along with the TB, coolant bypass (it reduces the heat of the air going into the engine theoretically gaining a couple horsepower, every bit counts) and then lid and exhaust will really help the car run better!!

It won't hurt the car if you leave it untuned, but yes it would definitely maximize gains and improve gas mileage as well as overall driveability. It would be more dire if you were getting longtubes on along with the rest of the exhaust and the above mentioned mods. But a mail order tune is right about $150.00 and if you don't plan on doing an extreme amount more for the time being after you do those mods, it would definitely be in your best interest to get it done! You will be glad you did!

Also when you do the fuel filter it may also be a good idea to do use some seafoam as well just to clean out the engine. If you haven't used it before, there are plenty of videos/how-tos on here or youtube.

Let me know what all you end up doing and how much these mods wake up your LS1!

Quick Reply: Most HP you can recover from dirty fuel filter?