Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ls1 98-02 rear end

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 03:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ls1 98-02 rear end

Hi!
I know there are a lot of threads about the rear end of the camaro 4th gen. I just have a question that you could probably answer real quick.

The stock 10bult rear end is somewhat not bullet proof. Especially for launches in a street race. My question for using it for a little burnouts and going sideways. Is it still so bad?

I will eventually buy another rear end, something like the ford 9" or strange 12 bult. But for now I am buying the car

Thanks for answering this "stupid" question and sorry for my english,. it is a bit rusty!

Oh and yes! I post this so you don't have to
Old 03-19-2013, 03:56 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by tsfitness
Hi!
I know there are a lot of threads about the rear end of the camaro 4th gen. I just have a question that you could probably answer real quick.

The stock 10bult rear end is somewhat not bullet proof. Especially for launches in a street race. My question for using it for a little burnouts and going sideways. Is it still so bad?

I will eventually buy another rear end, something like the ford 9" or strange 12 bult. But for now I am buying the car

Thanks for answering this "stupid" question and sorry for my english,. it is a bit rusty!

Oh and yes! I post this so you don't have to
Its great for little burnouts and going sideways, in till it breaks.....
Old 03-19-2013, 03:56 PM
teh PuRpL3z

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

It depends, mainly on whether your car is a stick or an auto, and on how much power you're putting into it.

I've still got a mostly stock 10-bolt in my A4 car... just had the axle tubes welded, upgraded the bearings, and put an Eaton carrier in it... I installed it in 2004, it's still in the car, and it's been through several seasons of drag racing at the track with M/T ET Street radials. It's still going strong.. I'm actually considering just having it rebuilt BEFORE it breaks so I don't have to worry about it. My car is not crazy fast, though... mid 12's.

But if it was a stick, I'd probably have fragged the rear any many times by now.
Old 03-19-2013, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by slow ride 02
Its great for little burnouts and going sideways, in till it breaks.....
Nice to hear that it is great, but I don't like when things break down when you have fun. Thanks for answering. So you recommend that I upgrade the rear end asap then?
Old 03-19-2013, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by DrEvyl
It depends, mainly on whether your car is a stick or an auto, and on how much power you're putting into it.

I've still got a mostly stock 10-bolt in my A4 car... just had the axle tubes welded, upgraded the bearings, and put an Eaton carrier in it... I installed it in 2004, it's still in the car, and it's been through several seasons of drag racing at the track with M/T ET Street radials. It's still going strong.. I'm actually considering just having it rebuilt BEFORE it breaks so I don't have to worry about it. My car is not crazy fast, though... mid 12's.

But if it was a stick, I'd probably have fragged the rear any many times by now.
Thanks for the quick answer. I will go for about 400hp.
What's the difference between the manual and the automatic? Which is the best? Also, about the transmission? I will probably buy an automatic. Is the transmission good for 400hp and doing races if you upgrade the rear end?
Old 03-19-2013, 04:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the quick answer. I will go for about 400hp.
What's the difference between the manual and the automatic? Which is the best? Also, about the transmission? I will probably buy an automatic. Is the transmission good for 400hp and doing races if you upgrade the rear end?

From what I have seen its a coin toss, I have seen some 400+hp cars get away with quite a few launches and abuse before they broke and I have seen bolt on cars with good traction destroy them with one good launch. Automatic vs manual, the automatics are easier on the rear end compared to launching a stick shift car and most of the time you can get away with a little more hp with a 10 bolt in an automatic car. As far as the trans it really depends on how good the trans is taken car of, if it’s beat on hard it will not last as long as a trans that has been babied with the same amount of hp. The best way to build these cars is work your way from the back to front. Rear end first, then built trans/converter, then do the engine.
Old 03-19-2013, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by 2000PewterT/A
From what I have seen its a coin toss, I have seen some 400+hp cars get away with quite a few launches and abuse before they broke and I have seen bolt on cars with good traction destroy them with one good launch. Automatic vs manual, the automatics are easier on the rear end compared to launching a stick shift car and most of the time you can get away with a little more hp with a 10 bolt in an automatic car. As far as the trans it really depends on how good the trans is taken car of, if it’s beat on hard it will not last as long as a trans that has been babied with the same amount of hp. The best way to build these cars is work your way from the back to front. Rear end first, then built trans/converter, then do the engine.
Thank you! I think I have some more meat on the bone now. The car I am looking to buy already has some modification done on the engine, brakes and handling. So for me it will be upgrading the trans/converter and rear end.
I will post what I buy later and will probably have more question but a lot of them are already answered in earlier threads. Thanks again.
Old 03-19-2013, 06:41 PM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

The rear end will last for awhile, it becomes a problem with sticky tires and hard launches.

You can burn out all day and do doughnuts it won't hurt your rear end... Even alot of high HP guys 500-550 can keep their stock rear alive by not launching it too hard, especially on the street where traction is almost non existent at that power level anyway..

you should be fine though, buy it lol
Old 03-19-2013, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by Burken01
The rear end will last for awhile, it becomes a problem with sticky tires and hard launches.

You can burn out all day and do doughnuts it won't hurt your rear end... Even alot of high HP guys 500-550 can keep their stock rear alive by not launching it too hard, especially on the street where traction is almost non existent at that power level anyway..

you should be fine though, buy it lol
Haha thanks for the encouragement and also the info. Well it is good to know. I thought as much about the traction and launching. I have read a lot about the rear ends but most of the threads only take launching in a race and 1/4mile in consideration. I was more curious about street driving and having fun there. Well, we will see when it gives up. A camaro it will be either way
Thanks
Old 03-19-2013, 09:14 PM
TECH Addict

Its not going to give on the street, whith stock tires.. and if it does you can get full stock rear ends for $150-$300 complete...
Old 03-20-2013, 10:12 AM

Its not going to give on the street, whith stock tires.. and if it does you can get full stock rear ends for $150-$300 complete...
Thanks! I just have to have fun and see when it gives up. As you say, they aren't so expensive to replace. But still looking to replace it sooner or later with something better. But for now I will buy the car. I will go and look at it in April because it is still winter here and the owner will do the service on it first.
Love your car by the way. Do you have a thread about it?
Old 03-20-2013, 12:57 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks! I just have to have fun and see when it gives up. As you say, they aren't so expensive to replace. But still looking to replace it sooner or later with something better. But for now I will buy the car. I will go and look at it in April because it is still winter here and the owner will do the service on it first.
Love your car by the way. Do you have a thread about it?
I want to start a thread soon, as soon as my shortblock comes back from the shop Ill start a thread..

I didnt wanna start one and not be able to actively update it with new stuff often..

I have 95% of the things I need, I just need odds and ends and wiring and what not..
Old 03-20-2013, 06:56 PM

I want to start a thread soon, as soon as my shortblock comes back from the shop Ill start a thread..

I didnt wanna start one and not be able to actively update it with new stuff often..

I have 95% of the things I need, I just need odds and ends and wiring and what not..
You are totally right, it is not so fun reading the thread if it only updates only one a month or so. I will follow it when you start one. Good luck and have fun building
Old 03-20-2013, 07:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Since you're looking into buying an A4 I wouldn't worry about it, takes a lot to blow a 10 bolt through an auto. Your trans is more prone to fail before anything.
Old 03-21-2013, 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by TransAmWS.6
Since you're looking into buying an A4 I wouldn't worry about it, takes a lot to blow a 10 bolt through an auto. Your trans is more prone to fail before anything.
Thank you for your input. Now when you brought it up, the transmission in the A4. Is they easy to prep or should I change that one as well? It is of course how I drive the car if it will hold or not. But sooner or later I will probably want to have more power,. it is always that way

Quick Reply: Ls1 98-02 rear end