Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ticking.. loudly

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2013, 09:45 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ticking.. loudly

Hey whats up guys, I recently installed bbk shortys and exahaust on my 99 c5 (50K) and I've been lovin life. Its been almost a month I'd say.

Yesterday I noticed a very loud ticking that would start 10 15 seconds after I fired it up in the morning. Today when I got back to my garage after driving around it wasn't ticking anymore so rev'd it up to 2200-2500k and it started again. really loud, the quiets down a little. Its a come and go type things.. it seems accelerating brings it on and then when I come to a stop it goes away.

BUT I used the gaskets that came with the BBKs which were paper and I should have known better. So I'm hoping thats what it is but I've listen to other exhaust leak videos and they sound different so Idk... I should have got oem gaskets but I spent every penny I had on the parts and tools I needed.. I basically didn't have anything I needed. My jack was even no good.. c5s are a b***h to get up in the air.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECgIp...ature=youtu.be

I'm about to do either heads or a cam so if it sounds like something besides a leak I have to rethink what I'm going to do with the $. I'll have to go with the cam and get the ls7 lifters as there will be money left for that.. Heads will take all of it down to the dime no room for anything else.

Thanks in advance... I'm crossing my fingers.
Old 05-04-2013, 10:07 AM
Teching In

It just ticks faster as I rev it.. for whatever reason my phone wouldn't upload the video unless I cut it short.
Old 05-04-2013, 10:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

sorry to hear that man, my bet is that it doesn't have anything to do with the headers besides just hard revving after they were installed. collapsed spring or bad rocker? I wouldn't let a crisis go to waste, pull heads and get them ported or swap cores for a ported set, rebuild with some good components.
Old 05-04-2013, 10:54 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by RJDio
sorry to hear that man, my bet is that it doesn't have anything to do with the headers besides just hard revving after they were installed. collapsed spring or bad rocker? I wouldn't let a crisis go to waste, pull heads and get them ported or swap cores for a ported set, rebuild with some good components.

I would think that too but I only got on it twice the day after I did everything and then haven't really gotten on it since.. over 3500 anyway. I've been saving the motor for when I have more mods and a tune.. I don't want to waste the precious time I have to be able to do that when its not even done. Its only at 52k.. I've had it since 48k and haven't abused it at all.. not even a burn out. I'm gonna try replacing the paper gasket with the original I took off.. see if that works.

Its also my dd... should I be getting a ride to work???
Old 05-04-2013, 11:41 AM
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pull the valve covers and see if anythings out of the ordinary, takes maybe 10 minutes
Could be a spring, rocker, pushrod etc
Could also just be that the headers amplify valvetrain noise quite a bit
Old 05-04-2013, 03:04 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by mkvamso
Pull the valve covers and see if anythings out of the ordinary, takes maybe 10 minutes
Could be a spring, rocker, pushrod etc
Could also just be that the headers amplify valvetrain noise quite a bit
Well it comes and goes so something is defintely wrong and its damn loud, its the loudest from underneath though so idk... it doesnt seem to be coming from the valve area... I'll do that... will it be obvious??? what am I looking for??
Old 05-04-2013, 10:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If you plan on driving the car while you save the money for the heads rebuild (if it ends up being heads). Just drive her easy and put in a good oil treatment, like STP or motor honey, or something like that. I've done that over these years when I've had engine ticks and noise will almost disappear, not totally, It isn't fixing anything just coats the hell out of everything with a real thick lube. I'm 47 and it seems some cars I've owned over the years and never raced ended up with ticks and needed some work. If it is a collapsed spring, or loose rocker then you will see that with heads off, or take to a shop and have them check it for you, just replace the defective with cheap stockers until you can plan on total rebuild.
Old 05-04-2013, 11:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

how many miles on the motor ?did you check the header flange to see how straight it was ?look for any gasket leaks around the headers .maybe consider longer push rods .measure yours and get some new push rods that are .015-.025 longer.
Old 05-05-2013, 04:33 AM
Teching In

If you plan on driving the car while you save the money for the heads rebuild (if it ends up being heads). Just drive her easy and put in a good oil treatment, like STP or motor honey, or something like that. I've done that over these years when I've had engine ticks and noise will almost disappear, not totally, It isn't fixing anything just coats the hell out of everything with a real thick lube. I'm 47 and it seems some cars I've owned over the years and never raced ended up with ticks and needed some work. If it is a collapsed spring, or loose rocker then you will see that with heads off, or take to a shop and have them check it for you, just replace the defective with cheap stockers until you can plan on total rebuild.
I guess I'll have to do that.. Hopefully I'll get some time today to check out the drivers side header and possibly put the old oem gasket back on. Just for testing.. Its seems too coincidental that everyone says the paper gaskets that come with headers leak and 3 4 weeks after I install my headers I have this noise.

Which sounds VERY similar from when my header to cat donut gasket on the pass side was leaking before I did the headers. Ill try swapping gaskets and if that doesn't work oil treatment it is.

Thanks Mr Dio... big fan
Old 05-05-2013, 06:54 AM
Teching In

I woke up early and swapped in the original oem gasket and the noise is gone. Wow that was a good scare. It sounded really bad

I was freakin last night big time

Thanks for your time guys

Last edited by Nvrfastenough87; 05-05-2013 at 05:45 PM.
Old 05-05-2013, 09:59 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Nvrfastenough87
I woke up early and swapped in the original oem gasket and the house is gone. Wow that was a good scare. It sounded really bad

I was freakin last night big time

Thanks for your time guys
yep!!! The GM gasket is best!
Old 05-08-2013, 10:09 AM
Teching In

There ya go!
Old 05-09-2013, 04:49 PM
Teching In

Well its back already.. much quieter.. much much quieter but there none the less.. Looks like I'm going to the dealer for some oem gaskets this weekend.
I'm just glad I know for sure its the problem.. scared the crap outta me.

I was up at 3am pricing out lifters and springs wondering what I was gonna have to sell on ebay to get em.
Old 05-09-2013, 05:21 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's funny! I had the same thing happen to me that I thought was a lifter!
Old 05-09-2013, 07:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

wow happy to hear the good news! I was wondering what you found out. I'm starting to hear a small tick in my passenger side head, but I have ported 243's planned for the future with goodies installed.
Old 05-11-2013, 07:45 PM
Teching In

wow happy to hear the good news! I was wondering what you found out. I'm starting to hear a small tick in my passenger side head, but I have ported 243's planned for the future with goodies installed.
Hell yeah, I can't wait to have the whole head/cam package. I'm gonna be ordering the tsp torquerv2 in the next week or so. Super excited. Itll be atleast a year before I can swing heads though.
Old 05-12-2013, 01:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

When you get the new gm MLS exhaust gaskets on make sure to tighten them starting in the middle, then start going from left to right until there all tightened, then go over them one more time. After a couple days of driving do a final check to make sure there all still tight.
Old 05-14-2013, 05:28 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
When you get the new gm MLS exhaust gaskets on make sure to tighten them starting in the middle, then start going from left to right until there all tightened, then go over them one more time. After a couple days of driving do a final check to make sure there all still tight.

Will do, thanks.

Quick Reply: Ticking.. loudly