Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

just a tune or worse?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2013, 07:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default just a tune or worse?

hello, so while on deployment i bought my second f body, a 2000 t/a and it came modded with a 228/230 cam, 3800 stall with 4.11 gears and ported stock heads/intake with a bbk 80mm TB and long tubes. so im back now and on thing i should mention is the battery was dead for 3 months or so, not sure if a car can lose a flash tune from that but worth mentioning. anyways im driving her for the first time and i do not believe the car was ever tuned after the cam and stall install. the previous owner had only a flash tune from a handheld but from my understanding after a cam and stall install like the one above a proper dyno tune is required. anyways heres what shes doing, RPM's at idle seem to fluctuate from being too low in the 500 range and the car almost dying to surging high into the 1000-1500 range and running like i have my foot on the gas. during driving sometimes after letting off the throttle she will surge in rpm up and down on her own with no touching of the gas, and she seems to have a problem shifting. i will drive normally and in D and she just wont shift, its like she always in 3rd or something. however sometimes when driving normally she will upshift on her own but not often. also no engine or ses lights are set on the dash but a code reader will find a p0332 for knocking on bank 2. i have a feeling the lack of tune has alot to do with everything however im not sure. ideas?
Old 06-08-2013, 07:10 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yes u need a tune and it also sounds like to me that maybe you don't even have a converter if it feels like your driving on the gas all the time.
Old 06-09-2013, 11:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Needs a tune, many of the trans issues can also be solved in the tune.
Old 06-09-2013, 10:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 2000PewterT/A
Needs a tune, many of the trans issues can also be solved in the tune.
Agree with this. The hand held tuners, or flash tuners, lack the tools necessary to do a proper tune for the large stall that the car has.

Quick Reply: just a tune or worse?