Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So what exactly is a Formula?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2013, 05:07 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So what exactly is a Formula?

What's the differences between them an actual Trans Ams?
Old 06-28-2013, 06:25 PM
12 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

I hate to be the "try a search" guy, but... try a search.

In short, bumpers, and standard options. And in 98-02 you could not get a hardtop TA.
Old 06-28-2013, 09:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'll just do my best to confuse you more. All Trans Am's are Formula's.
Old 06-29-2013, 07:51 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts

i formula looks like a firebird but with all the stuff from a trans am . You could even order a formula with ws6 so that it made it even better looking .
Old 06-29-2013, 11:42 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 206 Likes on 173 Posts

Simply put, a Formula has the standard Firebird exterior with the Trans Am powertrain. Formulas came standard with the same Monsoon sound system as the Trans Am, but leather seats and t-tops were optional, whereas they were standard on the T/A.
Old 06-30-2013, 03:16 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Fry_
I'll just do my best to confuse you more. All Trans Am's are Formula's.
No, they are not.
Old 06-30-2013, 09:08 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Basically Formulas are Firebirds with an LS1. It works like this--
------------------V6--------------V8-----------Special V8
Camaro|---------RS-------------Z28--------------SS
Firebird|-------Firebird--------Formula--------Trans AM

"Special" isn't really the correct word, but I can't think of the right word for what I'm trying to say. The SS and T/A came standard with T-tops and leather seats, had different body panels (SS had a different hood whereas the T/A had different front and rear bumpers and spoiler), different rearend gear ratios, and other things. You could go one step farther with the T/A and order the WS6 package, which consisted of different suspension components, but the main noticeable difference is the dual cowl hood.
Old 06-30-2013, 04:15 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by MasterTomos
No, they are not.
They still have the WS9 code, so technically they are still a Formula in my opinion.

Originally Posted by FIVEPOINT7

"Special" isn't really the correct word, but I can't think of the right word for what I'm trying to say. The SS and T/A came standard with T-tops and leather seats, had different body panels (SS had a different hood whereas the T/A had different front and rear bumpers and spoiler), different rearend gear ratios, and other things. You could go one step farther with the T/A and order the WS6 package, which consisted of different suspension components, but the main noticeable difference is the dual cowl hood.
I have seen hardtop SS's so I'm not 100% sure if T-tops were standard, but I do know that only 2 hardtop Trans Am's were built in 98-02. You could also get the WS6 package on a formula in 98-99. Also you could get the WU6 (Firehawk) package on either a formula or T/A.

Here is a quick list off the top of my head that the Trans Am option adds:
Front and rear bumpers
side skirts
spoiler
t-tops
leather
power seats, windows, locks...
Old 07-01-2013, 01:48 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by FIVEPOINT7
I don't agree with this at all. People often get most confused when they try to line up Camaros and Firebirds, because they just don't fit together side by side.

Camaro-V6
Camaro RS-V6
Camaro Z28- GM V8
Camaro SS- SLP optioned car with a V8

Firebird-V6
Firebird Formula- GM equipped V8
Firebird Trans am-GM equipped V8
Firebird Trans am GT-(1994 only) GM optioned V8
Firebird Formula WS6- SLP or ASC optioned V8
Firebird Trans Am WS6- SLP or ASC optioned V8
Firebird Formula Firehawk-SLP optioned V8
Firebird Trans am Firehawk-SLP optioned V8

Also, with firebirds, the titles are always a bit goofy. The titles will often read something like "Pontiac Firebird Formula Trans am GT". This is because the titles are derived from VIN numbers, and the VIN on firebirds don't specify if it's a Trans am or Formula car (VIN Just says if it's a V8 car or not), so the title will just cover all the bases and list them all. RPO codes are what denotes if its a formula or a trans am car.

Long and confusing story short:

These are LS1 formulas (note the lack of side skirts, shorter rear bumper, low rise spoiler, "V6" style front bumper):

http://static.cargurus.com/images/si...pic-57097.jpeg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y27...nviewclean.jpg

These are LT1 formulas:

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y27...nviewclean.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/Ff4SiDzh.jpg

And trans ams (note side skirts, lower rear bumper with exhaust surrounds, fog lights in front bumpers)

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3099/...716801.jpg?v=0

http://www.tamparacing.com/gallery/d...m/HPIM0226.jpg

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p...ualExhaust.jpg

A mass majority of trans ams you will see will have T-tops and leather seats. These were both options on formulas but not standard. Both Formulas and Trans ams were able to be equipped with WS6 or Firehawk packages (most notable difference in those packages are 17" wheels and ram air hoods). There are always a few exceptions, however (non-GT trans ams in 1994, no TA firehawks in early 4th gen years, no 2002 ws6 formulas, ect)

Originally Posted by z-camaro
They still have the WS9 code, so technically they are still a Formula in my opinion.
With this train of thought, every car would "technically" have a manual transmission because it's listed on the window sticker under standard options. (automatic trans was listed in the "options" if so equipped). Besides, WS9 basically just means it's a V8 car. W66 and Y82 are the codes you really need to look for.

WS9 + W66 = Formula
WS9 + Y82 = Trans Am
WS9 + Y84 = Trans Am Convertible

Last edited by MasterTomos; 07-01-2013 at 02:02 AM.
Old 07-01-2013, 02:35 AM
TECH Regular

a v6 car with a v8. the trans am option added the visuals and ttops/interior options. you could option a formula like a t/a without the exterior options, but the exterior automatically added the t/a package i believe.

all t/a's are formulas. period.

you can get a ws6 formula without the t/a package, but not a trans am without the formula package.
Old 07-01-2013, 04:30 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 94 White T/A
a v6 car with a v8. the trans am option added the visuals and ttops/interior options. you could option a formula like a t/a without the exterior options, but the exterior automatically added the t/a package i believe.

all t/a's are formulas. period.

you can get a ws6 formula without the t/a package, but not a trans am without the formula package.
WS9=Formula conversion (meaning, the car has a v8)
W66 = Formula merchandise package<trans am's will NEVER have this. This is the "formula" package.
Y82 = Trans Am merchandise package (Formulas will never have this, this is what makes a trans am a trans am)

WS9 + W66 = Formula
WS9 + Y82 = Trans Am

^read this like this:

V8 + Formula package = Formula
V8 + Trans am Package = Trans am

If the car has Y82, it does not have the formula package. It received the "formula conversion" to the drivetrain and that's it. The entire formula package includes the "formula" door badges in LS1 years and decals on headlight/rear bumper, no filler panel decals, and lack of door badges on LT1 cars. Both Trans ams and Formulas have separate package codes. Trans ams are not formulas.

Last edited by MasterTomos; 07-01-2013 at 04:54 AM.
Old 07-01-2013, 07:45 AM
TECH Regular

my vin 2G2FV22G7X2232545

http://service.gm.com/dealerworld/vi.../vincard99.pdf

Canadian built, gm, pontiac, formula, 2 door, front airbags, ls1

It doesn't have the merchandise package because who wants formula badges on a trans am?
Old 07-01-2013, 10:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Both are equally as fast, most believe the Trans Am looks better. The Formula is the base, v6 body.
Old 07-01-2013, 04:44 PM
12 Second Club

With this train of thought, every car would "technically" have a manual transmission because it's listed on the window sticker under standard options. (automatic trans was listed in the "options" if so equipped). Besides, WS9 basically just means it's a V8 car. W66 and Y82 are the codes you really need to look for.

WS9 + W66 = Formula
WS9 + Y82 = Trans Am
WS9 + Y84 = Trans Am Convertible
This is not true, an A4 car does not have the RPO codes MM6 and MN6 (Manual transmission 6-speed, borg warner, 85mm, 1st 2.66, 6th 0.50, O/D), were as every trans am has the WS9 RPO code (Model Conversion Pontiac Firebird Formula).
Old 07-01-2013, 05:56 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Aside from arguing the semantics above, if one wants to consider the "roots" of the nomenclature, the Formula is more for the budget drag racer whereas the Trans Am was the road racing choice. I know this is very subjective depending on the year/generation; however, I am just trying to set the tone that "generally" they were aimed at different Firebird buyers.

As the years progressed, the Formula was the go to choice for those who wanted the power without the frills. Stepping up to the Trans Am involved more money for more creature comforts and options. Sort of like how the Mustang LX was preferred for racing since it lacked all of the "bling" of the Mustang GT yet retained the V8 powertrain.
Old 07-01-2013, 08:46 PM
TECH Junkie

Ok you guys are right, Trans am's are actually formulas that just didn't receive the formula package lmao!

From now on, tell everybody you've got a Firebird Formula with the trans am package instead of the formula package. That makes so much sense.

Formula is a trim level of the firebird. Trans am is a trim level of the firebird. Trams am is not a trim level of a formula, like so many of you are suggesting.

If you're basing that fact that every V8 firebird is a Formula because of the WS9 RPO code, where's the "Trans am Conversion" RPO code at? (don't bother looking, it doesn't exist) If the "conversion" RPO code denotes by itself what the car is, then there is no such thing as a Trans am at all because there is no "Trans am conversion" RPO code.

Last edited by MasterTomos; 07-02-2013 at 12:13 AM.
Old 07-02-2013, 12:10 AM
TECH Regular

so since my car doesnt say firebird anywhere on it is it just a Pontiac Trans Am? Or my Challenger SRT8 just a Dodge SRT8 because it doesn't say challenger on it? There are models you have to get before you add options. A v8 Firebird is a Formula. A Trans Am is a V8 Firebird, so technically it is a Formula first.

But as said, semantics aside, The Trans Am has different bumpers and ground effects and spoiler than a formula, leather was standard, along with ttops. They got different sway bars and springs i believe.

Basically it is all a preference in looks
Old 07-02-2013, 12:41 AM
Formally Simplɘ Jack

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Firebirds are so complicated, that's why I stick with Camaro's lol.
Old 07-02-2013, 07:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A Formula is a trim level of the firebird. Trans am is a trim level of the firebird. Trams am is not a trim level of a formula, like so many of you are suggesting.
I'm with MasterTomos. He's gone to great lengths to give you a very accurate and detailed explanation of how the Pontiac Firebird is broken down, but the quote above sums it up very well.

so since my car doesnt say firebird anywhere on it is it just a Pontiac Trans Am? Or my Challenger SRT8 just a Dodge SRT8 because it doesn't say challenger on it? There are models you have to get before you add options. A v8 Firebird is a Formula. A Trans Am is a V8 Firebird, so technically it is a Formula first.
Whether you have a badge on the car or not, the Title for your Pontiac Firebird Trans Am says it is a Firebird. (As does the title for your Dodge Challenger.) That is the car you have.

But as said, semantics aside, The Trans Am has different bumpers and ground effects and spoiler than a formula, leather was standard, along with ttops. They got different sway bars and springs i believe.
The only difference in Sway Bars & Springs came with the WS6 Package which was available on both the Firebird Formula & Firebird Trans Am. (This is true at least thru the year 2000. In 2001 & 2002 the WS6 Package was only available for the Firebird Trans Am.)

Your quote below shows you have a pretty good grasp on the subject.

Basically it is all a preference in looks.
Old 07-02-2013, 08:14 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Don't even bring up the SRT vehicles... I hear those with SRT-4's hate to be called Neon owners.

Quick Reply: So what exactly is a Formula?