New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Debating throwing money into an LS1

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2004, 02:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I hate to sound like an old man, but I know if I had my car at 18 years old, one of us wouldn't be alive today to talk about it. For your first big sports car, I'd go w/ a fairly low miliage Z28, and keep her mostly stock for the first year or two. You'll have lots of power (kill mustangs and rice) and the traction control, width of the car, and breaking power of the Z will give you a lot of lienency (sp??). Do yourself a favor, and live through college, make the big bucks, then make the HUGE hp.
Old 05-05-2004, 02:59 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CaptUSA
Well, I hate to sound like an old man, but I know if I had my car at 18 years old, one of us wouldn't be alive today to talk about it. For your first big sports car, I'd go w/ a fairly low miliage Z28, and keep her mostly stock for the first year or two. You'll have lots of power (kill mustangs and rice) and the traction control, width of the car, and breaking power of the Z will give you a lot of lienency (sp??). Do yourself a favor, and live through college, make the big bucks, then make the HUGE hp.
That is not too bad of advice.........I was 17 when I got my car!!!!! My parents must be

Seriously though if you havn't driven a car with real power before the LS1 will get up and GO like a bat out of hell and you will be doing 100+ before you even realize what happened. First day I had mine I went 135 and it felt like it took about 5 seconds Of course, I realized what a dumbass kid I was and slowed down after that.........it's been three years and 140 is the fastest I've ever gone and I normally don't go over ~80. You must respect powerfull cars.......I was poor for a long time after getting car cause I paid my parents everything I made on top of the money I gave them at the time of purchase so I didn't get to mod for some time. Was probably a good thing
Old 05-05-2004, 04:43 PM
12 Second Club

I understand that an SS isn't probably as "cost effective" as buying a Z28, but I don't remotely care. An SS is my baby, has been since I was a kid. Also my dad had a 69 SS so it runs in the family.

And also, even though I'm a freshman right now I'm already be going to be making the "big bucks" starting in January. I'm an ME at Purdue and I start working as a co-op for Toyota in January. I'll work for them over on a salary for over a year before I actually graduate, so the money thing will be fine, IF I decide to go that route. I most likely won't spend any of that money of the car though, as that will be for grad. school/house.

And I probably will end up keeping it stock for a few years until I get things a little more laid out in my life, before I start investing money into it. I'm just trying to find out what can be done, for around how much money, for future ideas and if I do decide to do something. That's why I'm also kinda looking to see if I can get a car that already has some basic mods done to it, but still for a good price, then I won't be spending money peicemeal for a long time.
Old 05-05-2004, 06:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well, your stock SS will be quite a powerhouse for you right off the showroom floor. The basic mods, like your intake/breathing and exhaust will put you into the power of the Vette world. After that.... $5k you say?? Well, if it were me, I would go FI (forced induction) w/ STS Turbo for $3k, then get the 12bolt for another $2k. Intalled will put you a little over the top, but you'll have a car that will crush most everything on the road, you'll hang w/ vipers, the 12 bolt will NEVER fail you, and when you're putting around town going grocery shopping, it'll drive, sound, and feel bone stock. When granny driving, you'll even see improved gas miliage. Good Luck, and congrats on the new ride.
Old 05-06-2004, 12:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i found my 1999 Trans Am for $11,900. a little higher mileage(60k), but the only abuse was towards the shitty factory stereo. runs great, not a complaint in the world. im only 17 and i say screw keeping it stock! 5k is enough to make that car "yours". paint, wheels, stereo, and of course the engine, make it unique to you, however you do it. just make sure you get it, cause ls1's kick ***!