New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad MPG? 2002 SS

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2014, 08:50 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Get a mail order tune or a good professional tune.
Old 03-13-2014, 07:57 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackpanther99
Get a mail order tune or a good professional tune.
^^^ He's right. A good dyno tune will help you out alot. Just tell them you want to tune for better mpg's during the tune and they will tune your car accordingly. Give your local performance shop a call and ask but everywhere ive gone to and our local Deisel shop, Tunes are around $300-$350. if they quote you way higher than that dont go.
Old 03-13-2014, 08:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by SSGunn
^^^ He's right. A good dyno tune will help you out alot. Just tell them you want to tune for better mpg's during the tune and they will tune your car accordingly. Give your local performance shop a call and ask but everywhere ive gone to and our local Deisel shop, Tunes are around $300-$350. if they quote you way higher than that dont go.
Spot on.

And whoever said these cars are incapable of 30 MPG, LOL. I've personally hit 30 MPG more than once in my '99 Z28 (M6), and I know of a guy that has hit 32 MPG in his '01 C5 (M6). Premium fuel aside, the LS1 is a damn efficient engine in stock trim.
Old 10-29-2014, 10:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by hooker2007
Low mile (90k) 2002 SS falling short of the advertised MPG.

19 city 28 city is what is advertised, but Im only getting 15MPG with mixed city/highway driving.

It has always ran 93octane.

I drive conservatively (never over 2500rpm, try to stay under 2000rpm), and only occasionally give more than half throttle.

SS FI hoodscoop
SLP Lid
Kooks longtube headers
Offroad Y-pipe
3" Cutout in Y-pipe
(Stock muffler, No cats)

Its literally the cleanest LS1 ive ever seen. The engine bay is showroom quality, and it looks like the block has been regularly cleaned and polished.

I need troubleshooting help on the low MPGs...

Originally Posted by hooker2007
Best place to find a real tune?

Ill check the MAF screen asap!

Fresh plugs, AND wires, may be a good option. May be a good idea to replace intake gaskets as well at some point.

Also, a "REAL" tune,..takes time, and money, and you are at the mercy of whoever tuned it,...the mercy of their schedule, their attitude that day...etc. A REAL tune(lol) takes probably a week or so to REALLY get right. We would spend all day on the dyno for my car, JUST for driveabiilty....THEN, do WOT pulls. Even after that, fine tuning for a week or so to change a thing or two, is common.

What diablosport has done for example, they spend many hours, many days, on a dyno, fine tuning here and there. The tune is built for the masses, so yes, it is generic but, so is the tune from the factory your vehicle came with. I have a diablo tune in my truck from a trinity controller,....and honestly, it works awesome. Not to mention, I have something to take home with me(a hand held tuner-scanner-interface-I can change wheels and tire size if I want, with the tuner).....instead of just a "real tune".

FYI, MANY tech sponsors, sell custom tunes that UPLOAD INTO the diablosport tools...or even many professional tuners, use the diablosport software,...and can do custom tunes(real tunes for some people)on your very own personal vehicle. So, it's about as "REAL" as you can get.

I know this is an old post but....whatever. People are comparing 6 speed LS1 cars to TRUCKS and the comparison couldn't be further one sided. My 1 million horsepower vette gets almost 30 mpg...my near stock tahoe gets about 16mpg. Aerodynamics/weight and driveline are the biggest factors. How GM advertised to get 25mpg STOCK...well...the engineer was probably driving a vehicle with only 1 seat, nothing else,..and probably only a thong for weight savings.

My tahoe, will never come remotely close to that.

Quick Reply: Bad MPG? 2002 SS