New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I am sick of hearing Performance/Handling

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2004, 08:51 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am certain the Camaro will come back, but the GTO has taken the firebirds place already. Hell, Holden is redesigning the platform they use (and the furture one we'll use for several RWD cars) for the Monaro/GTO. This time they are doing this w/ NA in mind... but I still just don't see Pontiac having two muscle car coupes.
Old 05-26-2004, 09:01 AM
On The Tree

I want my 30 minutes back...
Old 05-26-2004, 09:22 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by SAPPER
NO REPLACEMENT FOR DISPLACEMENT!!! I don't care how much boost you have!!!
http://www.shepracing.com/images/876.jpg

8.76 in a 4 cylinder. Stock block.
Old 05-26-2004, 09:50 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Txbandit911
Here's a fun fact....

A friend of mine is a American autocross champion.

He did it in a '98 Z28.

Oh......here's proof...

http://www.americanauto-x.com/points...eet%20Modified
Ok, the only car eligible for a trophy was your friend, and this was a local group of drivers, most of whom only showed up a few times.
-Audi TT beat him 2 out of 3
-BMW M3 #1 beat him 4 out of 4
-BMW M3 #2 beat him 2 out of 2
-BMW M3 #3 beat him 1 out of 2

You want a real comparison, how about the National SCCA tour results from the last event:
http://www.scca.com/_Filelibrary/Fil...ertour-sun.pdf

4 Evos in the top 6 in ESP. And remember, this is the Evo's first year in ESP, so there's room to dial in setups still, whereas 4th gen F-bodies have been working on setups for 10 years now.
Old 05-26-2004, 10:03 AM
z98
TECH Fanatic

Way to go genius! You win teh prize!
I AM TEH WINNAR?

I BEAT THE INTRANETWEB ON HARD!

I WON TEH PRIZE!

I GOT TEH POWER UP AND WON TEH GAMEZ!
Old 05-26-2004, 10:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 254 Likes on 176 Posts

OK apathy, what says this was you and what says this was a 4 banger, for all we know, it was a slip you found on the ground. OH, and I suppose this car is street legal and a daily driver. Maybe if it were a TT Supra, I would believe it.
Old 05-26-2004, 11:09 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by SAPPER
OK apathy, what says this was you and what says this was a 4 banger, for all we know, it was a slip you found on the ground. OH, and I suppose this car is street legal and a daily driver. Maybe if it were a TT Supra, I would believe it.
Nothing says this was me. Because...it wasn't me.

http://www.shepracing.com/

You can also look at other 4 cylinder cars here:

http://dsmtuners.com/forums/timeslip...page=25&page=1

Top 97 of them are in the 12s.

What says you know anything at all?

Edit:

I also found it funny that you mentioned a TT supra, which makes less displacement than the LS1. No replacement for displacement, eh?
Old 05-26-2004, 11:12 AM
Staging Lane

LMAO......you guys are funny....

All my post amounted to is:

people keep trying to say you cant auto-x an f-body and that was proof you can.

Dumbass
Old 05-26-2004, 11:19 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Txbandit911
Who said that again?

Nobody.
Old 05-26-2004, 01:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

you can auto X a oldsmobile wagon too, but that doesn't reflect handling/chassis prowess.
No replacement for displacement, eh?
nope, since without displacement you can't spool a turbo..that's why they call it "boost".
8.76 in a 4 cylinder. Stock block.
Ross forged pistons
Groden aluminum rods
HKS camshafts

***i didn't know hks camshafts came STOCK along with those FORGED pistons LMAO

what you mean to say it has the FACTORY block, but NO STOCK INTERNALS. It's not like it's a ls1 or a 2003 cobra motor. i guess a factory block is impressive since it's suppose to blow apart??

The car also weighs 2650 pounds, unless he ran 8s with 3000+ pounds then welcome to the club, where there's about a million chevys and hundreds of thousand of 5.0s crowding that up. only they do without turbos sometimes, and weighing a MANDATORY weight.

now as far a REAL stock block (with everything in IT stock) there's already 1000hp 1200tq ls1s here (READ: less than 25psi) you know STREETABLE cars, not in some one off team sponsored by a manufacturer (read: paul efantis by TRD). And then this same engine has gone 8s still with streetable weight with N20 only no FI. AND this same engine was whipping 575 Ferraris, Vipers and Porsches for 24 hours at Lemans. The ls1 series is plain the best out, it can do anything.

The only Japanese team to ever win was Mazda, nowadays they don't even qualify.

Last edited by Colonel; 05-26-2004 at 03:34 PM.
Old 05-26-2004, 02:02 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Excal
Ross forged pistons
Groden aluminum rods
HKS camshafts

^godam i didn't know hks camshafts came STOCK along with those FORGED pistons LMAO

what you mean to say it has the FACTORY block, but NO STOCK INTERNALS. It's not like it's a ls1 or a 2003 cobra motor. i guess a factory block is impressive since it's suppose to blow apart??
From the site:

Engine Modifications -
* Stock block and crank

I said stock block, not stock engine. I meant to say exactly what I said.

The car also weighs 2650 pounds, unless he ran 8s with 3000+ pounds then welcome to the club, where there's about a million chevys and hundreds of thousand of 5.0s crowding that up. only they do without turbos sometimes, and weighing a MANDATORY weight.

now as far a REAL stock block (with everything in IT stock) there's already 1000hp 1200tq ls1s here (READ: less than 25psi) you know STREETABLE cars, not in some one off team sponsored by a manufacturer (read: paul efantis by TRD). And then this same engine has gone 8s still with streetable weight with N20 only no FI. AND this same engine was whipping 575 Ferraris, Vipers and Porsches for 24 hours at Lemans. The ls1 series is plain the best out, it can do anything.
I don't really know what your point is. He said no replacement for displacement. There are engines out there making small displacement that will make plenty of power.

The truth is, there is no replacement for a large budget. Regardless of what platform you start on.

And if you are using weight as an excuse, or amount of boost needed, or amount of N20 needed, I'd consider you a ricer. Run what you brung.
Old 05-26-2004, 02:44 PM
Staging Lane

....... The ls1 series is plain the best out, it can do anything........

That is a pretty dumb thing to say.

My dad is better than your dad!
Old 05-26-2004, 02:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

a pinto can make plenty of power too, so what? it still lacking displacement, Turbos are the biggest displacement ******.
Run what you brung.
oh so you're basically saying displacement is king, since you must be taking back your "supra has less displacement" (you consider yourself a ricer now too?) statement.

as far as run what you brung, where are the 4 second imports? top fuel cars are v8 strictly, and since we're talking run what you brung i will compare them.

where are the 5000hp nissans? where are the 700hp pump gas 4 cylinders?

it's like the WNBA with their smaller ball,bigger hoops, and shorter 3-point line, yeah they score 100 points a game too but, WE know it's garbage. yeah you ran this, but it was in THIS type of tournament where a caterpillar rus that.

i wasn't saying how much boost it takes, just showing that with a MILDish pressure Ratio it's enough to embarass all out race efforts of lesser flowing (less displacement) engines.

run what you brung #2..i go to a domestic vs import-fest and in the SMALL print you see things limiting v8s ni everyway, even with 8 second import cars, NO TURBO v8 is allowed, because the crowd didn't come to see a slaughter, we have to PRETEND it's even. so it's more like RUN what you're allowed to brung. of course there was still doorslammer s/c cars running 8.50s and it was game over.

as far as stock block, if it didn't have a dsm block it wouldn't be a dsm. Shouls he claim his stock windshield as some sort of impressive stat too?
Old 05-26-2004, 02:50 PM
TECH Addict

run what you brung #2..i go to a domestic vs import-fest and in the SMALL print you see things limiting v8s ni everyway, even with 8 second import cars, NO TURBO v8 is allowed, because the crowd didn't come to see a slaughter, we have to PRETEND it's even. so it's more like RUN what you're allowed to brung. of course there was still doorslammer s/c cars running 8.50s and it was game over.

as far as stock block, if it didn't have a dsm block it wouldn't be a dsm. Shouls he claim his stock windshield as some sort of impressive stat too?

LMAO
Old 05-26-2004, 02:53 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by apathy
Who said that again?

Nobody.
OK, i'll put it to you this way...

Your a **, and obviousely a **when you get behind a keyboard. I simply post up a fun fact for everyone to see and you have to be a little **about it. Well,** YOU.

[b]*Edited for immature language.* Gotta go through the rest of this thread too I guess. Why can't you girls just play nice?

Last edited by Colonel; 05-26-2004 at 03:00 PM.
Old 05-26-2004, 02:59 PM
TECH Regular

oh so you're basically saying displacement is king, since you must be taking back your "supra has less displacement" (you consider yourself a ricer now too?) statement.
Umm...what? Supra does make less displacement. 2JZ-GTE makes 3.0L of displacement, and 320hp/310tq.

as far as run what you brung, where are the 4 second imports? top fuel cars are v8 strictly, and since we're talking run what you brung i will compare them.

where are the 5000hp nissans? where are the 700hp pump gas 4 cylinders?
Bigger displacement gives you more potential with an engine. If an engine is making 200hp/liter, and it has a displacement of 2 liters, it will make 400hp. 5 liters, it makes 1000hp. This isn't a measure of being a better engine, it is simply more displacement. And in that sense, there isn't a replacement for displacement. But that doesn't mean that an engine with a smaller displacement can't do as well or better than one with a larger displacement. Otherwise a 6.0L engine would stomp your LS1 into the ground all day long.

it's like the WNBA with their smaller ball,bigger hoops, and shorter 3-point line, yeah they score 100 points a game too but, WE know it's garbage. yeah you ran this, but it was in THIS type of tournament where a caterpillar rus that.

i wasn't saying how much boost it takes, just showing that with a MILDish pressure Ratio it's enough to embarass all out race efforts of lesser flowing (less displacement) engines.
And I'm telling you that you are absolutely wrong. You can consider it garbage all you want, but a 2.0L (or 3.0L) engine that is making 7-800 hp is making more power per liter than a 500hp LS1. If you could match that power, lets say 250 per liter, your LS1 would be making 1425hp.

The turbo IS the replacement for displacement. It puts a larger charge of air in a smaller area.

If you put a turbo on a V8, it will make more power than a turbo on a 4 cylinder, all things being equal. The displacement is greater. This is math, and has nothing to do with my original point.

Should you claim stock internals as something special? Making over 300hp per liter is rather impressive to me, especially considering the block is stock. But whatever.
Old 05-26-2004, 03:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm locking this one for now. Gotta have a little time to look through this one. From here it looks like it might have been a real doosey! I *might* reopen it after I've been through it.
Old 05-26-2004, 03:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok, I'm through reading what was a REAL waste of my time. I could have been answering questions instead of keeping the Kindergarten class but oh well....it's staying locked. Ya'll take the ricer v/s domestic crap (and all of the other off topic nonsense that ya'll were talking about) somewhere else. It's old...REAL old.

Quick Reply: I am sick of hearing Performance/Handling