Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got tranny running, crazy misfires and burning rich... sometimes

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2014, 08:28 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got tranny running, crazy misfires and burning rich... sometimes

So I finally got my trans am working again, even took it on a 350 mile drive because i moved down to NC... the long drive it worked fine. now that I am doing inner city traffic in a hilly city it suffers a ton. Going up hill from a stop light = misfires and power lag till it "stabilizes itself". and works semi normal. Sometimes I can hear a ticking, prolly cyl 7, the problem child, missfiring still. It burns riddiculously rich, improving the gas miles of the car behind me. If i have to floor it because of bad drivers, I create a white cloud of gas behind me. Codes 400 401 still exist

What was done to it:
  • Engine taken apart to the block ( pistons and crank stayed in ) cleaned and reassembled by a mechanic.
  • Brand new cats from magnaflow
  • All 4 o2 sensors replaced new
  • New plugs/wires
  • Air deleted
  • EGR temporarily blocked off ( had issues before this as well )
  • New fuel filter
  • New fuel injectors
  • New coil for #7
  • all fluids flushed replaced
  • new knock sensor ( or whatever that thing behind intake manafold is ( i broke last one ))

Any ideas where to look next?

Last edited by owlpuff; 09-18-2014 at 08:55 AM.
Old 09-18-2014, 12:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think good advise for anytime anything doesn't run right is clean the MAF with q-tips and rubbing alcohol, just be very gentle.
Old 09-19-2014, 07:26 AM
Staging Lane

Ok, I ~might~ or most likely have found what was making it run rough. Looks like the screw ring clamp wasnt tightened all the way and slipped off the bottom behind the MAF. took it off and redone the connection. This morning on the way to work it drove quite well, though I only work 4 miles away so not a real test. Will test further tonight. The car is still, however, burning very rich and I can hear the misfire ( though more a steady tone ) still happening. Any other ideas where to check?
Old 09-19-2014, 01:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You do realize that if you continue to drive it with it running like that you'll wash down a cylinder, start burning oil and then will need a rebuild.
Old 09-19-2014, 02:56 PM
Staging Lane

I have no choice. Wife is in a different state with the other car. So this is my new DD and that's why I'm desperate for a solution to the overall issue. I have changed all that I could think of thus far and yet it still act's funny. Got a video of it and the miss-fire as well, though not sure how much help that would be in the diagnostics.

Quick Reply: Got tranny running, crazy misfires and burning rich... sometimes