Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

engine choice assistance

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2014, 03:02 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine choice assistance

I have a question about two engines first simpler. I plan on buying a LQ4 for a 240sx build im doing and im wondering what the difference is between the ls6 intake and the truck intakes on the lq4. they seem very similar.

second engine question is I aquired a 1979 el camino 350 for a bmw race car build me and a few others are doing. We are worried that the el camino engine doesnt have much potential and it might be worth it to sell that one and buy another newer 350 that does have potential. Our plan with the car is to use a 350 with a good (high end power) cam and good carb setup along with intake and head work. If needed we will do a full build from bottom up but i know the small blocks will hold enough on their bottom end. What should we do.

Options with the 79 el camino 350?
sell it and get a ____ 350?

thanks
Old 09-28-2014, 08:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The truck intake and the LS6 intake flow about the same amount of air. The biggest differance is the hight of the intakes. The truck intake is big and tall because of all the room they have in the truck bays. The LS6 has a low profile to fit under the car hoods. You are probably going to need a LS6 intake to fit under the hood of your Z.

As far as the 350 from the el-camino is it just a carbed small block chevy motor ?
Old 09-28-2014, 12:38 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Nothing impressive came out of US car manufacturers in 79. Why not find yourself two LS motors? Are you stuck on a 350 specifically for some reason?
Old 09-28-2014, 01:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

id get an LS motor myself. more efficient and easier to make power.
Old 09-29-2014, 01:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you on a tight budget stick with the 350. The biggest problem with that 79 El Co 350 is it will have crappy heads and really low compression. If your on a tight budget get some Vortec 350 heads they're the best flowing production gen 1 SBC heads ever made and have somewhat small 64cc chambers, they are basically iron LT1 heads that fit a gen 1 SBC. You would be better off if you can get a complete 96+ vortec 350, then you'll have hypereutectic pistons, powder metal rods, a nodular iron crank, and a roller cam block. Not exactly race motor spec but better than most stock SBC's. Swap in the thinnest head gasket's you can get, LS6 valve springs with Copm Cams retainers, 1.6 ratio roller rockers, and a LT4 hot cam, with a Edelbrock RPM air gap intake you'll have a reliable 400hp motor. This was the exact motor I had planned for my Monte Carlo until I decided a LS motor would give me more room to grow.

Quick Reply: engine choice assistance