Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Winter Storage

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2014, 10:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jcorkin
I use the heat to displace any build up of moisture from running ethanol fuel.
Heat doesn't displace moisture it absorbs it. Adding Heat to fuel that already has ethanol is pointless, Heat is just alcohol, and ethanol is alcohol so your just adding alcohol to fuel that already has alcohol in it.
Old 10-11-2014, 12:49 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,564 Likes on 1,125 Posts

Originally Posted by jcorkin
if stabil is made for ethanol why do they make a version that is meant for ethanol? Stabil came out before ethanol was used in fuels. They now market a version that is for marine/ethanol use.
The regular version of Stabil says right on the bottle that it's "effective in all ethanol blended fuels", and "Using STA-BIL regularly fights ethanol problems"....and this is nothing new, it has been marked this way for a very long time. Having said that, I do understand that there are now some new Sta-bil brand items that advertise even greater protection from ethanol fuels, but the regular "storage" version is still indicated as correct for use (and offering corrosion protection) with ethanol fuel. I've been using this for about ~16 years now with E10 fuel and never had any ethanol related problems with my carb'ed or EFI systems. Perhaps the higher ethanol content fuels, such as E85, might benefit from the additional levels of protection advertised with these new Stabil products.

Originally Posted by Jay-P
Some say just starting a car in the winter and letting it idle is worse then letting it sit. The theory is that if you cannot drive it and get it up to proper operating temps your better off letting it sit.
That is correct, not to mention the fact that cold starts (especially cold weather cold starts) are where a typical street engine sees most of it's wear. Of course, a handful of these during annual storage aren't going to lead to instant engine failure, but extra cold weather cold starts when you don't even plant to drive the car are really doing more harm than good IMO. I just leave mine sit dormant over the winter, never had any problems doing so.

Last edited by RPM WS6; 10-11-2014 at 01:55 AM.
Old 10-11-2014, 09:57 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guess i learned something new. I keep my garage at 50 degrees so i dont think it was really doing any damage on starting it during the winter. For my 73 k5 and boat that sit out back I pull the batteries out of those and put them in the garage on my bench for the winter. I cant say in all my years and all my cars(up to 91 in the last 4 years)that ive ever had an ethanol related issue. Only fuel issues ive ever had were related to small engines not being setup for long term storeage. My bottle of stabil must be pretty old as i dont see anything about ethanol on it. Also i lived down in florida for many years and just moved back up north after 10 years last year so its been awhile since ive really had to winterize anything, added stabil to my atvs and bike prior to going on deployments but that was about it for the past 10 years.

Quick Reply: Winter Storage