New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for a "guide" to help me buy a used LS1 Camaro or Firebird

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2014, 09:45 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One other thing. I want an LS1 Camaro but I like the front ends of the LT1 Camaros better. How much trouble would it be to swap the front end of a 98-02 for a 93-97? I know the 98 - 02s have more efficient headlights, but I much prefer the 93 - 97 look.
Old 11-11-2014, 01:56 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,687 Likes on 1,208 Posts

Originally Posted by Grusselgrosser
One other thing. I want an LS1 Camaro but I like the front ends of the LT1 Camaros better. How much trouble would it be to swap the front end of a 98-02 for a 93-97? I know the 98 - 02s have more efficient headlights, but I much prefer the 93 - 97 look.
In addition to needing a '93-'97 front clip, you would also need a hood and front fenders. The other option would be to just buy a nice '93-'97 car and then swap in an LS1. Either project is going to be a lot of work, but depending on the type of work you prefer (body/paint vs. mechanical), one might seem like less of a hassle than the other.

On the upside, if you go the engine swap route rather than the front end swap route, you won't have to worry about replacing the roof panel as none of the LT1-era cars had that issue. Depending on where you live, there might be emissions testing considerations that could be positive or negative in this regard. For example, cars '95 and older do not have to be tested here in IL, so with a '93-'95 Camaro you could do whatever you want and never have to worry about emissions. On the other hand, some states still do the sniffer test for '95 and older, but only OBD scan for '96 and newer. In this case, it will be easier to pass emissions with a modified engine if you have a '96+ model since custom tuning can make just about anything pass. If you have no testing at all, then obviously none of this matters.

Only other thing to think about is the interior. '93-'96 uses a different interior design than '97-'02 (with '00-'02 getting a color and fabric pattern update), so if you prefer one over the other then that might help make the decision as well.
Old 11-11-2014, 08:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

In building such a car you're going to end up with something that is 100% tailored to your desires. And as long as you enjoy it and love it, then no problem. If the day to sell it ever comes anything spent to modify it will probably not be recouped. And the final product will bring considerably less than if it were a 100% stock 3rd or 4th gen, depending which of those you end up modifying.

Quick Reply: Looking for a "guide" to help me buy a used LS1 Camaro or Firebird