Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Exhaust Help

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2014, 01:38 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Exhaust Help

Hey everybody, I own a 02 CETA bone stock and looking to upgrade the exhaust. I am torn between just upgrading the cat back exhaust or headers with a cut out.

In regards to the exhaust I am a huge fan of GMMG but unfortunately I cannot afford that at the moment. I like the sound of the SLP LM2, from the reviews and videos I have watched it seems that there is not much rasp in the LM2 as long as you keep the headers and y pipe stock. Good price too! around $400

Or I was thinking of Texas Speed Headers with ORY and a cut out. I have all winter to think about it, she will remain in the garage until spring

Any ideas/inputs/recommendations would be helpful, thanks!
Old 11-03-2014, 09:00 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Speed Engineering long tubes with a cutout is my vote.
Old 11-04-2014, 01:29 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,483 Likes on 1,067 Posts

What are your goals?

Looking for sound improvement only?

Looking for power gains and/or building a basis for more significant mods in the future (heads/cam/FI)?

What is your tolerance for issues/downsides? (every mod other than maybe an air lid has some sort of downside)

The catback alone (any catback) won't be worth much in terms of power, usually about 7-10rwhp is typical. You could attain the same (or better) gains with a simple cutout, but the sound won't be as "tuned" as with some sort of muffler. Some aftermarket catbacks fit better than others, so if you plan to do the install yourself you might encounter a few fitment/adjustment snags that will need to be ironed out.

Headers (especially combined with an ORY and cutout) will give you noticeable gains, but also come with more potential fitment issues and loss of ground clearance (some more than others, a much bigger concern for lowered cars). Tuning is required to get best results, as well as dealing with some O2 sensor codes that can be common with LT headers (especially in cold weather). If you live in a state with strict visual emissions testing, then it will be hard to pass with LT headers and/or removal of EGR and AIR systems (typical with most aftermarket headers).
Old 11-04-2014, 07:56 AM
Teching In

Thanks for the input. Due to this car being a CETA with really low miles I'm hesitant about doing too much to it. I do not plan on any other power mod gains to this car and not worried about how much horsepower the exhaust will add. Just looking to add sound sound to it. So yes RPM WS6 I am just looking for sound improvement. Something deep and throaty with no or as little rasp as possible. Based on the clips I listened to on ls1sounds.com and you tube, the LM2 seems to have a pretty good sound and low cost.
Old 11-04-2014, 01:19 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,483 Likes on 1,067 Posts

Originally Posted by 02ws6ce
Thanks for the input. Due to this car being a CETA with really low miles I'm hesitant about doing too much to it. I do not plan on any other power mod gains to this car and not worried about how much horsepower the exhaust will add. Just looking to add sound sound to it. So yes RPM WS6 I am just looking for sound improvement. Something deep and throaty with no or as little rasp as possible. Based on the clips I listened to on ls1sounds.com and you tube, the LM2 seems to have a pretty good sound and low cost.
In this case, a catback swap (or cutout on the existing catback) is really all you need. Personally, I prefer the sound with some type of muffler, so I'd opt for the full catback (or muffler-only swap) over the cutout.

"Rasp", as defined by most people, isn't really something you will encounter unless you remove the cats. Even the LM1 doesn't have what I would call "rasp" unless you have an ORY. If you plan to keep the stock cats, then really you can go with any catback and not have any true rasp from it.

If you wanted to do an ORY (with or without headers) and still be rasp free, you'd need to add some bullet mufflers to the Y-pipe (and/or I-pipe) for most catbacks. The other solution would be to go with true duals.

But again, for what you want it sounds like a simple catback or muffler swap would be all that's necessary.
Old 11-04-2014, 03:39 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

If you really want to keep it as stock as possible while still giving it some volume, just keep the stock exhaust and install a cutout without doing headers. You could also just install a muffler while still using the factory piping and tips.
Old 11-04-2014, 05:26 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 02ws6ce
I think you'll be very happy with the LM2. It has a deep tone and barks nicely at WOT. No rasp with stock cats and Y pipe either.
Old 11-06-2014, 07:19 AM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

What state do you live in?
Old 11-10-2014, 06:05 PM
Teching In

Indiana
Old 11-11-2014, 11:34 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Ive ran my LM1 for years and never had any problems with rasp, buddy ran a LM2 and it sounded great...as for headers if cost is a concern Ebay or Pacesetter LT's will do the job.
Old 11-12-2014, 06:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Id run TSP 1 7/8 headers for sure.

Im sure you can find a used catback to save you money as well.
Old 11-12-2014, 07:54 AM
Banned

TSP 1 7/8 headers, x pipe and dumps cant go wrong

Quick Reply: New Exhaust Help