New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Evo,WRX guys - why LS1Tech?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2004, 05:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey eviltrins, I'm a part of my friends' DSM website. www.quadcitiesdsm.com The site has only been around a few months, and because the name refers to the area, many people haven't seen the site yet or shy away just because they aren't from our town. But a few of my friends have turbo DSM's and while they still look up to FBodies, we all think it's cool to learn about eachother's cars. I learn a lot about your/their cars and I enjoy expanding my knowledge on all cars. I think opening your mind and lurking around other forums, even joining and posting, is a great thing to do.
Old 05-28-2004, 07:34 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by technical
New for Sport Compacts...
The Muffalator "Angry can of bees" cat back exhaust.
Just to clarify - that nasty exhaust sound is a product of the retarded fart cannon mufflers that real ricers seem to like in conjunction with an inline 4-cylinder engine. Put a fart cannon on a Hayabusa and it'll probably sound like ****. For the record the WRX is an H-4 or flat-4. Even with a fart cannon it will not sound like that. IMO, a 4 banger CAN sound good, different, but good. I like Cal's comment - they're just different. A WRX or Evo is better at some things and worse at others. No big deal, differences make the world go 'round.
Old 05-28-2004, 09:36 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Fulton 1
Just to clarify - that nasty exhaust sound is a product of the retarded fart cannon mufflers that real ricers seem to like in conjunction with an inline 4-cylinder engine. Put a fart cannon on a Hayabusa and it'll probably sound like ****. For the record the WRX is an H-4 or flat-4. Even with a fart cannon it will not sound like that. IMO, a 4 banger CAN sound good, different, but good. I like Cal's comment - they're just different. A WRX or Evo is better at some things and worse at others. No big deal, differences make the world go 'round.
Funny you mentioned sport bikes. I can hear all sorts of things racing around late at night. Sometimes I have difficulty distinquishing between four cylinder cars and four cylinder sport bikes. They sound pretty close.
Old 05-28-2004, 10:00 PM
12 Second Club

I was almost one of those WRX owners posting here on LS1Tech. See I needed a new daily driver back in February, and had pretty much decided on buying a 2004 White WRX. I need something to get me around Chicago winters. Then I test drove a couple Acuras. I decided a 2004 TL was the car for me. More luxury than boy racer, and only about 6K more. I was always keeping my Formula. So now I have an 04 TL, 02 Formula, 03 Durango (Wife's), and a 96 Cavalier Z24. All in white.
But I was pretty close to being one of those "WRX" owners who post here. Now I'm just a "Honda" owner who posts here .
Regards,
Old 05-29-2004, 05:28 PM
TECH Addict

All the drama!
Old 05-29-2004, 10:14 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by technical
Funny you mentioned sport bikes. I can hear all sorts of things racing around late at night. Sometimes I have difficulty distinquishing between four cylinder cars and four cylinder sport bikes. They sound pretty close.
Yea, I know what you mean. The bikes usually wind up a hell of a lot faster which is how I generally tell - besides the fact that they don't sound like someone wedged a baseball card in the exhaust pipe.
Old 06-15-2004, 09:16 PM
teh PuRpL3z

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ZR2877
I know there is one guy on here that owns both a TA and a WRX. Maybe he will post in here. I got a chance to ride in a WRX STI once and I was pretty impressed. Not by acceleration but the handling and braking. I don't have a problem with them posting on LS1tech beacause sometimes I go to the VW site to check it out. I have a few friends over there. One day I passed a VW and he wanted to play. Next thing I know this guy found me on LS1tech and we been hanging out ever since. So they might have friends with LS1s and come on here to chat with them.
I own a Formula and a WRX STi... dunno if it was me you were referring to. I was an LS1 owner first... sold my LS1, bought a Subaru, then bought a second LS1, and then traded my first Subaru off for a WRX STi.

Personally, I've posted comments about the STi here simply because there's a lot of ignorance regarding what it is, where it came from, and what it can do. It is quite an impressive little car, and no slouch when it comes to performance. It likes to be thrown around. Mine has handled a lot of hard driving and come bounding back asking for more. It seems to be a very tough car, and the performance aftermarket for it hasn't even scratched the surface of what the car will be capable of in the future.

On the otherhand... the one thing I have learned hanging out on Subaru boards is that I am definitely NOT an import guy. I find a lot of the sites irritating, and can't really relate to the people on them... not to mention that the true ricers in the crowd really annoy me to no end. So even when I didn't own a LS1, I still hung out on the LS1 boards..

I change cars a lot.. obviously... and right now I'm planning on getting rid of both of my cars and getting a Z06. I think I can safely say that I prefer the domestics over the imports, but I also appreciate that there are some really nice imports out there... and that there are a good number of import enthusiasts that AREN'T ricers.

I think it's the ricers that ruin it for everyone.
Old 06-15-2004, 09:24 PM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

A guy I know has a WRX. He also has a '03 convertible Cobra with a solid axle that makes over 500rwhp.

I have no idea how that applies to this thread, but I figured I'd chime in.
Old 06-16-2004, 08:00 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ActionJack
On a side note and related as well....

Even though I drive a WS6 and love it and come to this site for tons of info I still visit other sites. I am an avid reader and poster at vwvortex.
I was, have over 3000 posts there. Then I got bored with it. Might go back some though.
Old 06-16-2004, 09:00 AM
NKAWTG...N

Silverghost has a WRX and his z28. Anywho...

I am on many boards not pertaining to ls1's. Im on beyondthequarter, midnightimpulse, stangnet, viper board (forgot url), i stopped going to clubcivic (guess why?), and i stopped going to chicago velocity. basically with stangnet i wanted to learn. mustangs are my prime competitor and i wanted to learn more about them. they know i have a fbody, but im not starting **** so they leave me alone. beyondthequarter is just me gawking at people who post with ferrari's and lamborghini's in their sigs...the viper board was because i met a bunch of them at World of Wheels. chicago velocity was actually before i had the SS. and midnight impulse is because...well i dont really know why...
Old 06-16-2004, 11:36 AM
TECH Senior Member

I am a prime example of this thread Mako made...

I am a moderator here on the site. I work at HPE.... One of the sponsors over there ---->

I also do a majority of all Ford work that comes through the shop, and all bolt ons, head, cam installs, rear end swaps and what not on all the F-bodies

I joined the site originally to help out a friend back in 03 for a debate about what time I had ran in his truck. But i lurked around reading about the cars since of January 2002

Previously, i had done a few cam swaps, head installs and a rear axle swap. I knew what these cars could do and was intriguied by them. That is why i joined, to LEARN MORE!!!

That is usually the motive for other people with different cars to join up. To learn and see how there cares compare. I have no problem with them unless they troll around and act like dicks. But that is all i have to say about that. I am also member of two viper boards, cause i need to learn more about them, since we also do viper work here at the shop. Got to keep my learning cap on 24/7.

I hope you read my post. I am the best example you will find for this.

HELL I BUILD AND DRIVE THE ENEMY HERE

Gray
Old 06-19-2004, 06:43 PM
Teching In

I don't own a LS1, or even a GM for that matter, but I love cars in general. Just like to keep up on the competition.