Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MAF Misery

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2015, 11:10 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 206 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
As for replacement fuel pumps, should you decided to do that (pressure under load is a bit weak), I'd personally go with a OE Delphi replacement for a stock car that's going to stay mostly stock. Most people recommend the aftermarket upgraded pump, but a stock engine doesn't really need that and if you go with an OE replacement you get an entirely new module rather than having to install a new pump on the old module. Of course the complete module is more expensive, so that might be a consideration for some as well.
Agree. Check Lonnie's Performance for your best price. And yes on the trap door method. I did it the old fashioned way with a friend on a lift at his shop and it still was a bear. Never again.
Old 01-26-2015, 06:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So..... since last posting more parts have died. Radiator and water pump both crapped out so I replaced them (thermostat too). Ordered a Walbro 255 direct fit kit from Ebay (yes, I know I'm an idiot). Fuel pump arrived but was in no way a direct fit. We went with the trapped door method. I had my dad's help doing this particular part and trusted him when he started cutting.... yeah, he looked at pics of a different year car and so cut too high in the hatch. No biggie, cut a little more and have a big hole, but whatever. Pulled the original pump and compared it to the Walbro I received, then found a thread on here about modifying the bucket to accomodate the Walbro... Sigh. That seemed a bit out of my comfort zone, just too much I don't know how to do. So I'm returning the Walbro and dropped $400 on a Delphi pump assembly. Installed and patched the hole with no problems. Also replaced the fuel filter. Drove it home today and did awesome. All of the lag is gone and I got about 25 mpg on the highway. Blew out the cobwebs and gave it hell. Everything was fine until I pulled up at my mailbox upon getting home. SES light popped on. Had it checked out and it is a P0507. Idle Air Control Valve again. So I'm going to order it and hopefully be done with the damned SES light, for awhile anyway.

So thanks for all of the help! Almost $700 later but it's driving like new again!

Quick Reply: MAF Misery