New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking to buy a LS1, what to look for?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2015 | 12:37 PM
Staging Lane

I also agree with RPM anyone who says " shot only once " Is very hard to believe. Stock auto has to be taking a beating with a new cam + elevated shift points and the occasional shot. In all honesty man do what you think is right but I came across a couple cars like this during my buying period and in the end I was so happy that I passed them up when I ended up with My stock 70k miles artic white m6 z. Honestly I think you'd be happier finding a mild bolt on/stock car with under 90k on the clock and doing your own mods even though that involves a lot more time, I was glad I did. Also 7500 is quite a bit for a car with 130k that clearly already has some hard driven miles.
Old 07-21-2015 | 01:27 AM
Teching In

The nitrous deal has me nervous as well, I was never a fan of Nitrous just due to the wear it puts on the engine and tranny. He claims the previous owner had it installed and he shot it once at the local track then once the current owner got it he never used it due to fear of blowing the engine. The miles are also a concern. Do these trannys go that early? I suppose with mods it seems plausable. The cam also makes me a little anxious, DDing a cammed car just seems weird IMO. He's told me he has raced in it but only a few times. The car itself is clean and he's taken good care of it but the nitrous/racing/cam makes for some points of caution. There is another one here that has 78 K miles and is stock besides a magnaflow exhaust but he's asking 10K which seems a little high.
Old 07-21-2015 | 11:22 AM
Staging Lane

Yeah with those kinds of hard driven miles and the elevated shift points yours looking at a rebuild fairly soon. The cam shouldnt be to hard on a DD just depends on the specs its just with that many miles your looking at spending a good amount of change on the tranny soon. Yeah 10k is pretty high I wouldnt spend more than 8k personally. it would really have to be a special car to bring that kind of money with more than 50k miles but some areas are different as to what deals you can find. goodluck
Old 07-21-2015 | 02:17 PM
LS1Tech Administrator
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by Chimneyyo
Do these trannys go that early? I suppose with mods it seems plausable.
The stock trans can go for a whole lot longer with stock shift points and at stock power levels, especially if it was maintained well with proper fluid changes. But with the increased power (and heat) of the modifications, and especially the increased shift rpm required to take proper advantage of just about every popular aftermarket cam, they don't last nearly as long. Then you add in the unknown question of how (and how often) it was sprayed and/or raced, and stories that have now been passed down among multiple owners, and there is even more reason for concern about the trans at that mileage.

As mentioned above, daily driving a cammed car isn't really a big deal if the tuning is done well, the package is well matched (meaning the right stall speed [auto] or gears [manual] for the powerband), and it's not a max effort type build. The concern then will just be in terms of durability, meaning the quality of the install and components and also some increased maintenance required (like occasional valve spring swaps, generally a good idea with the more aggressive aftermarket cams) which might seem like a hassle to some for a daily driver.

The thing about buying a used car is that you're already taking a gamble on how well the car has actually been maintained and treated since the day it went in service, then to buy a modified one on top of that is to add yet another big variable of concern (how hard was it driven?, what's the quality of the install and parts?, etc...)

Sometimes a modified car can be a great deal, especially if you plan to do all the same things yourself. But without documentation it's hard to judge the likely quality of parts and install.

Quick Reply: Looking to buy a LS1, what to look for?