New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Insane oil leak

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2015 | 08:53 PM
Teching In

Default Insane oil leak

So I got my car in August, pretty sure I got screwed because 2 days later the motor blow..spun a main and blew a rod. I get the motor rebuilt and put it back in everything great for about a month during the break in period with conventional oil. I switched it to full synthetic and Develop a small leak...let it go for a few days and then it gets intense and now it looks like I'm just pouring oil out of the container..my thought was the rear Main seal came out so I took the tranny off and replaced the seal where it did look Ike it was leaking from. Still have a huge leak. Any thoughts? Pcv has suction. The flywheel was bone dry when I pulled it but the clutch was soaked. My next guess is oil pan gasket but Im not sure..
Old 11-29-2015 | 09:12 PM
Teching In

rings have excessive blow-by, suggest cylinder leak down test.
Old 12-03-2015 | 01:06 PM
Teching In

okay, thats gunna be my next thing to do, tomorrow im going to pull the inspection cover off the flywheel and put a camera behind the fly wheel and run it to see if its leaking from the oil pan or not. then ill do a leak down if i cant see anytthing from inside.
Old 12-05-2015 | 04:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

I had a truck that was pouring oil like that, and it was a block off, just above the oil filter. It has two bolts and a rubber O-ring gasket. Tried tightening it. slowed it down but still leaked. Tried a new one. It lasted a couple months and started leaking again. Tossed the gasket. Put some good permatex on it. Let it dry good over night before starting, and no leaks. That was five years ago. Not sure if that's where its leaking on yours. But it might be worth a look see. Best of luck.
Old 12-05-2015 | 05:28 AM
12 Second Club

Did u change the rear main cover gasket when u did the seal??
Old 12-11-2015 | 02:23 AM
TECH Apprentice

Oil pressure sensor not tight enough?
Old 12-15-2015 | 12:59 PM
Teching In

welp i got it! put some dye in the oil, pulled the tranny left the flywheel, ran the car and hit it with a black light...clear as day, a crack in the rear main cover all the way at the top.. i think it got over torqued when it got reassembled..

Quick Reply: Insane oil leak