Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinions on crank shafts

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2016, 02:22 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinions on crank shafts

I am currently about to tear down my block and was curious on what most of you guys thought about the crankshaft. I'm torn between buy a new higher quality crank to handle the power I hope to achieve. Block is completely stock and has never had any aftermarket products inside it. Im just looking for some help. Thanks

2000 Trans Am LS1
Old 01-07-2016, 03:24 PM
TECH Regular

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

I only showed 600 at the wheels on rpm motorsports dyno and after 212 miles on my new built 5.3 forged wiseco -11 3.903 bore pistons and 6.125 h beam eagle rods arp head bolts main studs block was machined mains cam bearings installed decked all the works balanced rotating assembly etc etc and at 212 my motor spun three bearings after I went to a different machine shop I found out my crank was bent and I have a pretty good feeling my firstmachinist screwed me and. Didn't do all the work he was paid for so stock isn't always as good as some say but I did throw another stock one in to see if it happens again
Old 01-07-2016, 03:44 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah I hear you on that, I had a blocked machined, When I was stationed in WA. The machinist there did the same crap happen to me. I'm not sure if I should get rid of the LS block and go with a LQ to handle better and run a 408 stroker kit or just build the LS from the ground up. I'm literally about to tear it down tonight.
Old 01-08-2016, 06:40 PM
TECH Regular

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by chakalaka1725
Yeah I hear you on that, I had a blocked machined, When I was stationed in WA. The machinist there did the same crap happen to me. I'm not sure if I should get rid of the LS block and go with a LQ to handle better and run a 408 stroker kit or just build the LS from the ground up. I'm literally about to tear it down tonight.
If I had the dough I'd buy the one I wanted if I only had a limited budget. I'd get the eagle probably I know of two personally and they have been good but I'm sure others will chime in otherwise but don't do like I did waste all the money in gaskets and fluids and time putting it together knowing you aren't happy with what is in your motor wish I'd have waited and bought the callies crank I wanted
Old 01-10-2016, 12:34 PM
11 Second Club

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

heard stock cranks are good for up to a 1000 hp.
Old 01-11-2016, 01:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by JOHNNY59
heard stock cranks are good for up to a 1000 hp.
Ditto. Unless you are trying to change your stroke leave the stocker in there.

Quick Reply: Opinions on crank shafts