Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2004, 09:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice needed

in the near future i may be forced to sell my Z28. I know, I know... why. Well the reasons are many, but the main factor is the level of expense i am going to have to be able to deal with in the future, and due to my ordeal with cancer over the last few months, I have not been able to work. (that was prolly more info than anyone wanted... sorry.) Either way, my question is this: After selling my car I will have around 10k or 11k. I am 18 and going into college, I love a performance car, but i cant afford high insurance, and I need something dependable. What kind of car should I get? Im not for sure I will have to sell my baby, but if I do... I want to come out of it with something respectable. hopefully something with some get-up, but mainly something respectable.
Old 06-15-2004, 09:39 PM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I hope I'm mistaken, but did you say that you have cancer at only 18? I pray to God that I mis-read that.

I really can't answer your question. I'm not sure what is good on the market for the price range your looking at. Sorry.
Old 06-16-2004, 09:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

yeah unit 213, you read it right. I guess I shouldn't have put that in there. It dosent really pertain to anything, and all it does is make me look like im fishin' for sympathy. But seeing as how I mentioned it, i had testicular cancer. Its the most common cancer for men my age. I am layed up at the moment because of surgery, cant drive... I hate not being able to drive my car!

BUT if anyone has a good idea for a car, im open to suggestions. Maybe a Grand Pri GT, but Id really rather have rear wheel drive

Hmmm.... Can anyone think of any sport-truck set up's that would go for around 11K?
Old 06-16-2004, 10:15 PM
Launching!

That's a tough one man... is your primary consideration getting better fuel economy, or cheaper insurance rates? If you're hoping to sell the Camaro for 10 to 11 thou and spending all the money on a new ride, then I'm not sure what else your reasoning would be. What would you think about trading your '98 for an older 4th gen like a '95? With it being older with more miles you should be ahead some $$ on the transaction, although the insurance would likely be the same.

Maybe a mid-80's MR2 or Supra with some performance mods? I dunno, I'm at a bit of a loss here (sorry)...
Old 06-16-2004, 10:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

its mainly an insurance thing, I am gettin ***-RAPED!! by my insurance company, and then when i do stupid ****, and have to replace my front bumper, which after paint cost about 400... I am in the process of taking a really big look into the feasibility of having this car. I can PROMISE this, If i have to sell my car, I WILL have an LS1 camaro (hopefully SS, id settle for a firebird, but once camaro always camaro.)!! I really would like to get somethin w/ rear-wheel drive. I wonder if I could find one of those Chevy SS 454 trucks around with decent mileage. hmmm.... that's not a bad idea. I bet the insurance on one of those things wouldnt be so bad.

any ideas are welcome!
Old 06-17-2004, 06:53 AM
pmh
On The Tree

If you do some selective searching, you could get a really nice old (60's-72) muscle car. It may not be perfect, but prolly pretty nice. It'd be very cool and perform well. Well, except for the gas mileage thing! Right now, you could get a '70-'71 SS monte carlo for way under the eleven grand mark. 454 power and all. It's worth considering.
Side bar-my cousin had testicular cancer too. They did the operation and a few years later, they've pronounced him cancer free. Keep the faith and trust in the Lord man. It'll be good!

PMH
Old 06-17-2004, 11:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks pmh. I have been thinkin about classic muscle. I apreciate ur support. Im glad for ur cousin, Its a pretty curable disease, so Im sure everything will go well.

Its good to see another believer!
Old 06-17-2004, 11:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

You could go w/ one of the smaller chevy's, like the Cavalier. They can look pretty sharp w/ just minor stuff. GL on your recovery.
Old 06-17-2004, 11:52 AM
Staging Lane

Default less expensive options

I have been looking for an alternative lately, and the least expensive one that would satisfy my needs is a 93-98 Mazda Miata. If you can find an older one, you should still be able to afford a turbo kit. Great sports car ride with moderate power. I just can't part with my Z, though...
Good luck and God bless,
Todd
Old 06-17-2004, 11:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

thanks for the ideas! I appreciate the support!