Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Horsepower upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2016, 09:34 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Horsepower upgrade

Got a 6.0 out of a 2008 trailblazer ss. Doing an ls swap into 73 Impala. What are some inexpensive hp upgrades I can do with putting a dent in bank acct. trying to reach at least 500 hp
Old 10-05-2016, 03:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

To get at least 500 hp isn't going to be cheap. With that said the cheapest route would be nitrous
Old 10-05-2016, 05:14 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HCI2000SS
To get at least 500 hp isn't going to be cheap. With that said the cheapest route would be nitrous
Am I naive to believe that nitrous is a somewhat practical power on demand upgrade when done right? It seems great on paper, but then there's the folks that make it seem like the plasti dip of engine mods.
Old 10-05-2016, 06:20 AM
Restricted User

Received 104 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by thingthatgoes
Am I naive to believe that nitrous is a somewhat practical power on demand upgrade when done right? It seems great on paper, but then there's the folks that make it seem like the plasti dip of engine mods.
Nitrous gets a bad rep from the dry kits that were everywhere when it started to become really popular.

Modern wet kits are far safer and more practical.
The hardest part is refilling the bottle.
Old 10-05-2016, 06:21 AM
Restricted User

Received 104 Likes on 87 Posts

500 HP at the flywheel isn't that hard with your 6.0, either.
Headers, cam, and tune will get you there.
Old 10-05-2016, 07:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I've ran nitrous on 2 different cars over the last 10 years. These were just street cars, and when setup right it's no more dangerous than a blower or turbo. If you don't need the extra power all the time then nitrous simply can't be beat for the money
Old 10-05-2016, 08:28 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 346 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by HCI2000SS
I've ran nitrous on 2 different cars over the last 10 years. These were just street cars, and when setup right it's no more dangerous than a blower or turbo. If you don't need the extra power all the time then nitrous simply can't be beat for the money
I agree, I also think nitrous kinda gets a bad wrap because of people just buying the bare minimum/basics needed and putting the nozzle where ever they see fit, without knowing anything about jetting, continuing to run 87 octane (depending on what they are putting it in) , spraying to big of shot on a 4cyl motor that barely makes enough power to get out of its own way in the first place.
Spraying threw shifts on cars that were not made for extra power ect.

I think to many non car people that love fast and furious movies just throw it on not knowing that higher octane is your friend and has a slower burn rate, not faster burn rate like movies and gas station additives would have you believing.

When talking about a setup I would like to do to random non car people I tell them I'm going to run a stand alone tank to pull fuel off when I spray and that I'm going to run 120+ octane in that tank and there like OMG, YOUR GOING TO BLOW YOUR MOTOR, LOL......oki doki, thanks for the heads up.
Old 10-05-2016, 10:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 98CayenneT/A
I agree, I also think nitrous kinda gets a bad wrap because of people just buying the bare minimum/basics needed and putting the nozzle where ever they see fit, without knowing anything about jetting, continuing to run 87 octane (depending on what they are putting it in) , spraying to big of shot on a 4cyl motor that barely makes enough power to get out of its own way in the first place.
Spraying threw shifts on cars that were not made for extra power ect.

I think to many non car people that love fast and furious movies just throw it on not knowing that higher octane is your friend and has a slower burn rate, not faster burn rate like movies and gas station additives would have you believing.

When talking about a setup I would like to do to random non car people I tell them I'm going to run a stand alone tank to pull fuel off when I spray and that I'm going to run 120+ octane in that tank and there like OMG, YOUR GOING TO BLOW YOUR MOTOR, LOL......oki doki, thanks for the heads up.
+1

the biggest reason people blow their **** up with nitrous is because they do not do all the research and get tempted by seeing the $500 price tag of a "complete" wet kit vs the $5000 tag of a supercharger. They don't do the full supporting mods and don't understand their system and eventually it all falls apart.
Old 10-05-2016, 10:43 AM
12 Second Club

heads/cam while engine is out , if that is not enough you can always spray it a bit on top later , getting a heads/cam to 500 whp should be achievable with a 6 liter if not it will take a very , very small shot to get it past that number
Old 10-08-2016, 06:37 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 98CayenneT/A

Man, you just reminded me of this 9 year old thread. I never did get that answer.
Old 10-10-2016, 05:23 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have to agree nitrous isn't that bad if tuned right and a little personal knowledge wont hurt too. I used to even after a good tune would read my plug to make sure everything is burning good on the cylinders. the only problem I had well not really a problem is after a while I would notice that my car didn't feel as tight. May have been all in my mine though but I like a tight driving and feeling car.
Old 10-11-2016, 02:09 PM
TECH Resident

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

That engine will have 243/799 heads, you can have the ports cnc machined, fittedfor larger valves ans heavier springs get a good cam from SDChevrolet, that should be close to 500 with a little intake rework and injector up grade... Head work is about 1000$ at Patriot or a similar place.

Quick Reply: Horsepower upgrade