New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much would insurance be for me.....?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2004, 02:52 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanx guys. Onyxxtreme, ill talk to my mom about that, it seems like a really good idea.
Justin, thanx for the tips man. That really helps. Me and my dad are going to LOOK for a car when i drive back down there tomorrow from my moms house (exactly 100 miles away from my moms house solo with no CD player ) Thanx alot guys, keep adding on. i appreiciate it.
Old 06-23-2004, 03:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I pay just over 200 a month. Im eighteen and have two accidents on my record (one at fault one deemed unavoidable) and I have a $1000 deductible.
Old 06-23-2004, 03:14 PM
TECH Resident

So you haven't even called your own insurance company yet? I guarantee you'd know exactly what it would cost if you or your dad had just called up your agent when I suggested you do so.
Old 06-23-2004, 03:18 PM
Restricted User

lol
Old 06-23-2004, 03:32 PM
Teching In

Im 18, live in texas, liability only for me is 265 a month, there is a 91 mr2 turbo (315wrhp she for sale though ), an 02 trans am ws6, and a 96 volvo on my insurance policy from geico...

why is it so high for liability only? ..... well....

45 in a 25,
83 in a 65,
"inability to controll speed" (wreck),
55 in a 35(the 35 was on a highway..... i mean WTF????)
and on the way home from abilene one night in dads mustang gt..... trooper clocked me at 143... he lowered the ticket to 75 in a 65 though, nice guy really i just wanted to know how fast it would go those tickets (in order) where in a 97 jeep, a 94 celica, a 91 paseo, 00 elantra wagon, and 03 mustang gt....

never got a ticket in any of my fast cars, ive have had a 91 RX-7, a 91 mr2 turbo, a 89 IROC-Z, and a turbo 99 tiburon...

if you are wondering where all the money for the cars came from... my family lives and breaths cars, no one in our family keeps the same car for more than a month except me... and i only started that trend recently with the iroc and the mr2, we run a used car/salvage lot

sorry long post, but yeah i cant even dream of full coverage.... word to the wise... dont **** off a cop when you are young by proving he was wrong on a ticket 3 of those tickets are from the same cop....
Old 06-23-2004, 04:05 PM
Staging Lane

I'm 17 and got my SS when i was still 15. I took out a "loan" with my dad for 4500 dollars. I had all the rest of the money to pay for the 12000 dollar car from mowing, and 4H. I put all of the money into mutal funds. I let it grow. But then the stock market crashed and what I did have of 15000 dollars went to 7500. Yea, that pisses a 15 year old kid off. They pay the insurance and I pay for the Car. I like it that way better. The car just has to be paid for before I graduate.
Old 06-23-2004, 04:18 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by absolut_speed
So you haven't even called your own insurance company yet? I guarantee you'd know exactly what it would cost if you or your dad had just called up your agent when I suggested you do so.
the obvious is often overlooked
Old 06-23-2004, 06:19 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by jrp
the obvious is often overlooked
actually me and my mom called the insurance company early today. She did all the talking. The first quote we got was $3,000 for 6 months for my moms '99 jeep cherokee and a '99 Z.

Then the insurance agent called back and said it would be $1,800 for 6 months for me and my mom for both vehicles Full coverage. Then then she(my mom) said her insurance agent called back and said she may be able to get it down to $1,500. So if we were to split it, it would be $166.67 per month for me to give to my mom. My mom has a very good driving record also so i guess that helps. We are in south florida so i guess its cheaper than say Cali.....i was surprised how cheap it would be for me. Im also covered on the jeep.

My mom said the first ticket i get, shes gonna be driving the 'camaro.
o well
Old 06-23-2004, 07:27 PM
On The Tree

Thats a good price dude. My parents told me the same thing when I bought my car. I was like "I havent gotten a ticket yet guys"

3 weeks later I got my first speeding ticket.

As for the not listing you as a driver, the companies that run a CLUE report are few and far between. SOME companies will not cover you if you arent listed as a driver, some will. It's in the fine print. Either way $166 is NOT BAD AT ALL. A lot less than what I would expect.

Good luck and be careful man. It's really easy to get carried away in a car with this much power. The best advice I can give you (besides the typical 'dont race'), is to just be ALERT. Most people get pulled over doing what they normally do when driving, not when they drive fast intentionally
Old 06-23-2004, 07:35 PM
FormerVendor

honestly if you want the car to be the next little race demon on the street i wouldn't do it...when i was 16 i had a m6 ws6 and at that time i thought i was invincible blah blah and was racing all the time until i wrecked it one day so bad that the car split in half and if somebody was in the passenger side they would have died and for me, i really have no idea as to how im alive right now...use your head because being fast is one thing but driving like your dale earnhart and having a hot head could lead you in the same position
Old 06-23-2004, 07:52 PM
Launching!

Yes, i realize the dangers in getting a car like this but ive always wanted one and how can i pass the chance up by not getting one . We've already decided and me and my dad are going to look for some and maybe test drive one by a private owner to know what im looking for and what to expect. Im not looking to get one from any type of dealer.
Old 06-23-2004, 09:00 PM
TECH Resident

Why exclude dealers?

Secondly, that's awful generous of your Mom if she's willing to split 50/50 on the cost of insurance since the Camaro is probably more like 2/3 of the cost. I'd be surprised if she's even paying $100 a month now.
Old 06-23-2004, 10:22 PM
On The Tree

More often than not, the cars from dealers are in better shape than private owned cars.

And Im talking about franchised dealers (Chevy, Ford, Dodge), not the dealers that you see on street corners with the "Your Job is your credit" and "E-Z financing" signs.
Old 06-23-2004, 11:25 PM
On The Tree

i JUST turned 20 and i have a "clean" record and my insurance is $5200 a year for full coverage and a $1500 deductable thats with my own policy i think im getting FUCKED what do you all think and the funny thing is $5200 a year right $530? a month what kind of **** is that you do the math it doesnt add up i know i have no idea where the other $100 a month goes.
Old 06-24-2004, 12:32 AM
TECH Resident

i'm 18 have a 98 t/a m6, collision, comprehensive and liabilty is $150 a month. $500 deductable. car is in my name, only car or driver in my policy. i've had two speeding tickets(both 15+mph over the speed limit) both of those droped in court, i've been in one accident i wasn't at fault(got rear ended) and some advice from a fellow teenager, i've done some stupid things in my car but just keep a mildly level head about you and you'll be fine. have fun but keep safty as the priority
Old 06-24-2004, 12:40 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by iB2slow
i JUST turned 20 and i have a "clean" record and my insurance is $5200 a year for full coverage and a $1500 deductable thats with my own policy i think im getting FUCKED what do you all think and the funny thing is $5200 a year right $530? a month what kind of **** is that you do the math it doesnt add up i know i have no idea where the other $100 a month goes.
If you're paying that, that officially makes you a contender for biggest idiot on the board. Either you have too much money and should have bought at least a Z06 instead, or you are just plain dumb for pissing that kind of cash away at your age.
Old 06-24-2004, 01:55 AM
On The Tree

DUDE!!! $530 a month for INSURANCE!?!?!? No way, call around and Ill bet my left nut you can find something almost half as cheap.

And that extra $100 goes to financing the insurance. Insurance companies dont finance their premiums for free. They usually always have charges. But still...$530. Damn dude.
Old 06-24-2004, 08:19 AM
Launching!

well the insurance agent said our parents would be $300 and we calculated what my mom was paying so i pay a little over half. So im 16 and going to be paying about $166(.67) But we'll have to see. And $530 a month!!! Thats insane
Old 06-24-2004, 10:35 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by absolut_speed
If you're paying that, that officially makes you a contender for biggest idiot on the board. Either you have too much money and should have bought at least a Z06 instead, or you are just plain dumb for pissing that kind of cash away at your age.

WTF am i supose to do since your so smart why dont you help me out???? do you think i like paying that much do you think i havent checked other places and its all about the same price. and i would say that me paying that much is alot better than not having any at all wouldnt you say.
Old 06-24-2004, 10:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

These insurance threads are so pointless because as I've posted before, YOU CAN'T COMPARE RATES UNLESS YOU POST ALL YOUR COVERAGE LIMITS. How many of you are comparing your 10/20/10 rates with someone's 100/300/100 rates? How much medical coverage are you carrying? What are your deductables for Comp and Collision? Do you carry Uninsured Motorists. Is it stacked or unstacked. And lastly, the area of the country and even the city you live in has a huge effect on your rates. There are discounts for companion home owner policies and multiple cars. If you want to know how much insurance is going to cost you, just call a few agents in your city.