New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much would insurance be for me.....?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2004, 10:58 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pacmantravis
DUDE!!! $530 a month for INSURANCE!?!?!? No way, call around and Ill bet my left nut you can find something almost half as cheap.

And that extra $100 goes to financing the insurance. Insurance companies dont finance their premiums for free. They usually always have charges. But still...$530. Damn dude.
yeah man i dont know why they call it KY jelley because here in KY the insurance companys sure as hell dont use it when there *** raping you. its bullshit but ive called around there all pretty close, ive tried everything listed in my parents name makes there policy go up enough its not worth it, i had a 2002 GMC 3/4 ton ccsb 4x4 before this car and it was like 390 a month. this is from progressive i am VERY open minded to suggestions i havent tryed yet.
Old 06-24-2004, 11:03 AM
Launching!

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by iB2slow
WTF am i supose to do since your so smart why dont you help me out???? do you think i like paying that much do you think i havent checked other places and its all about the same price. and i would say that me paying that much is alot better than not having any at all wouldnt you say.
Here are some ideas. Remember I am not an insurance guru so I might be wrong on a few things.
  • Raise the deductible on your collision coverage - but keep that same amount in your savings account. The higher the deductible the lower the premium. Just make sure that you can handle that deductible.
  • Get a new title for the car and jointly list one of your parents, an older aunt/uncle, an older brother/sister, etc. as the other owner. Somebody older than you and somebody you trust. Then tell your insurance company that you are not the primary driver although you really are.
  • Get a cheap used car at least 8 years old, add it to your policy (perhaps without collision coverage), and say that this is your primary car although you really are driving the F-Body most of the time. Then you can really drive this cheap used car during the times you don't want to drive/park your F-Body. For example when leaving a car parked at the airport for 1 week; when driving in an area with terrible roads; when the roads are slick with ice, sleet, snow, slush, etc.; when you go to a party and somebody else might have to drive your car home for you; and so on. In addition this will give you a "multi-car" discount on your policy.
  • By all means avoid moving violations. A simple $50 speeding ticket can haunt you with higher insurance premiums for years which might cost hundreds or thousands more. Trust me, I've been there and done that.
  • Maybe consider moving to a different area. Insurance premiums are based on many factors and our ZIP code is one factor.
  • If your credit history is less than desireable then try to clean that up. This also affects our premiums. Do things like pay bills on time, reduce debt, maybe close some extra credit cards, etc.
  • Get married. Just kidding sort of. The reality is single people usually pay more for car insurance. My rates dropped after I got married. Why? I didn't change my driving style until years after marriage when I began driving around with a baby in the car with me.
I hope that I gave some good ideas. Maybe doing one or more - or even some others that I can't think of at the moment - will result in lowering your insurance costs.
Old 06-24-2004, 02:15 PM
Staging Lane

my insurance on my car full coverage is 540.00 dollars a month on my 2002 Ls1 camaro......sux
Old 06-24-2004, 02:22 PM
On The Tree

165 per month for 01 Firehawk and 04 Prerunner for the wife and I. Were old farts though 33 and 31
Old 06-24-2004, 02:54 PM
Launching!

Alright,like other people are saying there are so many variables in this,I work for a MAJOR insurance company.$166 a month is not bad for you,ive seen $900 a month in Jersey for some people so dont feel bad.Pacmantravis,I cant believe you were advising him to commit insurance fraud?are you an agent? Please remind me to NEVER go to your company.As an agent you are supposed to look out for the best interest of the policyholder and of your company.You are doing neither.
Old 06-24-2004, 03:18 PM
Restricted User

hah yay for jersy ins!! woot woot!
Old 06-24-2004, 03:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yo man....I'm 19 now....had my Z since I was 16...just bought a truck too. Trick was I got my dad to be primary driver on the Z...then me on another vehicle we had. I am still covered on the Z and the payment for full coverage was something like 130 a month....kinda nice....especially with my driving record...this is in MO though...so who knows...it wont be that bad with your parent being primary driver though.
Old 06-24-2004, 04:00 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by CAMAROonROIDS
my insurance on my car full coverage is 540.00 dollars a month on my 2002 Ls1 camaro......sux
$6,480 per year!

Originally Posted by redarrow
165 per month for 01 Firehawk and 04 Prerunner for the wife and I. Were old farts though 33 and 31
Good grief! I must be a relic then!

Does this mean I should wear a Fedora hat and drive 10 m.p.h. below the speed limit in an olive green Dodge Dart?
Old 06-24-2004, 04:03 PM
Launching!

What if u got a moving violation for driving 30mph in a 75mph zone (driving to slow). They give u tickets for that in florida. Would ur insurance bill increase if u got, say 4 of thos kind of tickets?
Old 06-24-2004, 04:52 PM
Launching!

Wink

Originally Posted by Big Jimbo
What if u got a moving violation for driving 30mph in a 75mph zone (driving to slow). They give u tickets for that in florida. Would ur insurance bill increase if u got, say 4 of thos kind of tickets?
Florida has an interesting way of punishing old drivers that wear hats and drive too slowly:
  1. First offense: they confiscate your Fixodent denture cream.
  2. Second offense: they confiscate your Metamucil bulk fiber laxative.
  3. Third offense: they make you work at Wal-Mart passing out happy face stickers to kids as they enter the store.
  4. Fourth offense: they make you work at Florida Department of Highway Safety & Motor Vehicles helping motorists renew their driver's license, renew their license plate tags, etc.
P.S. Check out the Florida DHSMV website - it has a picture of a Camaro state trooper car! Here is the shortcut: http://www.fhp.state.fl.us/html/phot...y/Camaros.html
Old 06-24-2004, 08:25 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Big Jimbo
Yes. Because at that point, you're a hazard on the road impeding the flow of traffic. You're much more likely to get hit doing that, thus you've increased the liability of the insurance company, and correspondingly, your rates.