New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Simple Mods: Exhaust, Cam only? Rockers?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2016, 04:27 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Simple Mods: Exhaust, Cam only? Rockers?

I love the power of my 02.
But I want better sound and little more power for now. I will do an catback exhaust. Probably just a local shop run bigger duals and new mufflers with magna or is there a better bolt on system

Frost tune and a lid and 305 tires I hope it would be a low 13 sec car

I will add headers after paint and all cleaned up. Are shorties worth it on these or stocks are fine? LT are scrapers?

Other then that I would be happy if in 12s. But is a Cam only change an easy garage swap? I heard you can do it without removing the heads/intake
Or are 1.7 a poor man cam on the LS1 have any benefit?

Other then cam I think my money might be better with just a tranny clean up and 2400-2800 stall with the frost tune.
Old 11-09-2016, 06:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim Cuff
I love the power of my 02.
But I want better sound and little more power for now. I will do an catback exhaust. Probably just a local shop run bigger duals and new mufflers with magna or is there a better bolt on system
Unless your local shop specializes in fbodies I wouldn't trust them. They will likely throw whatever muffler they think is good on there and do a shitty weld/hack job.
Buy an actual catback made for our cars, you won't regret it and will see a power gain and good fitment.
Frost tune and a lid and 305 tires I hope it would be a low 13 sec car
Bone stock with good DA you should be good for mid to low 13s.

I will add headers after paint and all cleaned up. Are shorties worth it on these or stocks are fine? LT are scrapers?
If you are after power shorties are a waste, LTs make significantly more power across the board(very noticeable) and most do not have any clearance problems, you have to search to see which brand is best for you.

Other then that I would be happy if in 12s. But is a Cam only change an easy garage swap? I heard you can do it without removing the heads/intake
Or are 1.7 a poor man cam on the LS1 have any benefit?
Are you asking about 1.7 rockers? Thats more a matter of opinion and what you want but I would suggest a cam instead and leave the stock rockers. Dont forget you need to upgrade the valve springs, and its a good idea to do the timing chain, hardened pushrods and lifters.

Make sure to read all the stickies like this one:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...cam-guide.html

Other then cam I think my money might be better with just a tranny clean up and 2400-2800 stall with the frost tune.
Look into converters before you buy, most make the mistake of going too small thinking they will sacrifice driveability too much. A quality converter doesn't sacrifice compared to a low quality one, a 3600 stall is quite popular.
Make sure to invest in a tranny cooler if you want to race or auto-x.
Old 11-10-2016, 07:51 AM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks I will leave it internals alone for now. It runs strong, idel, fast for me, just maint. and exhaust and then tranny and suspension.

Maybe a tune and lid.
Old 11-10-2016, 09:17 PM
Restricted User

Received 107 Likes on 89 Posts

A cam is going to be the biggest bang for the buck mod you can do.
It'll also see the largest power increases.

If you're going to have it tuned, do the cam first otherwise you will need a retune later.
Old 11-25-2016, 11:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Honestly your car is more than likely running mid to low 13's depending on DA, traction and the overall health of the car itself.

I would start with a higher stall converter, Lid, Tires and maybe suspension upgrades.

You are going to get the most performance gains out of a quality stall converter and a cam.

A catback won't gain much power - Mostly sound.
A lid will net a 5 - 10 hp gain
Long tubes headers and will net you around 20hp.
A quality 3600 stall converter will probably rip 4 to 5 tenths off your time (or more)
A cam will get you around 25-70hp depending on your choice and supporting mods.
Old 11-26-2016, 09:45 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

good advice above by everyone. Cant stress enough go aggressive and high quality on the stall convertor , nothing will transform the way the car feels and et's quite like a good convertor. 3500-4000 the trick is to stick to the highly recommended convertors and they will feel pretty normal until you mash them then it feels as if you added 100 h.p just make sure to also add an excellent transmission cooler and have it tuned for the stall. it is common to drop .5 to .8 off your et with just the addition of a convertor provided you are racing on sticky tires , pretty rare for an LS1 f body to not be solid in the 12's with a good stall....

Here is a good link to a currently active thread on stall convertors:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic...een-noobs.html
Old 11-26-2016, 11:19 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,277 Posts

A 3500+ stall speed, top shelf brand, will be the biggest bang for your buck of anything you can do with an auto trans LS1 car aside from N2O or a blower/turbo. No other single mod will give you the same sort of performance gains/ET reduction. I would not consider anything lower than 3500, and I would not even think of doing a cam until the stall upgrade has already been done (or do them together.)

Quick Reply: Simple Mods: Exhaust, Cam only? Rockers?