New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lq4 swap

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2017, 08:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lq4 swap

Im new to the ls based world but I'm building a 77 c15 for my dad and I am buying an 03 chevy 3500 van and want to put the lq4 and 4l80 in the truck. What's the biggest cam I can squeeze in it with only changing springs and would it still be driveable with the stock converter? Also I've done engine work before will a little time with the dremel porting be worth it?
Old 01-16-2017, 09:49 AM
Launching!

Your best bet is to contact one of the sponsors on here like cam motion to get the most precise answer. You'll just be pulled in a bunch of different directions otherwise.
Old 01-16-2017, 11:05 AM
Restricted User

Received 107 Likes on 89 Posts

Why does everyone want a huge huge cam but then tries to use the stock converter?
Old 01-16-2017, 11:26 AM
Teching In

Do a converter dude. Seriously. 3000 stall
Old 01-16-2017, 04:44 PM

I only want to keep the stock converter for this summer so I can drive the truck. I am not new to racing I have built plenty of stuff but it was all old school solid lifter high compression 4800 stall with a brake on a th400 or torqueflite 727. I don't know how the newer trans take big cam or loose converter that's why I asked and let's be honest nobody is cramming a huge cam in an engine with stock heads and pistons
Old 01-16-2017, 09:17 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by Furyous66
let's be honest nobody is cramming a huge cam in an engine with stock heads and pistons
You'd be dead wrong. Like all of the wrong.

You said you're new to the LS world. Welcome lol.
Old 01-17-2017, 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by JoeNova
You'd be dead wrong. Like all of the wrong.

You said you're new to the LS world. Welcome lol.

I guess so ha ha i guess I'm stuck in the old ways of thinking where you can only get so much cam in an engine without having to make clearance... so enlighten me lol
Old 01-17-2017, 07:11 AM
Restricted User

I already did.
People are puttings cams into LS engines that would require pretty much everything to be replaced if used in a SBC.
Old 01-17-2017, 09:14 AM
AOG
Teching In

Furyous, you will find out quickly that you have to ditch the old school SBC mindset when it comes to the LS. Some of your biggest surprises will be when you see what ignition timing is compared to the old small blocks and also cam duration and overlap. You will doubt it all, but the new LS architecture doesn't want what you're used to.

Port and combustion chamber design from the factory (even on truck motors) is so good that you stand a better chance of screwing things up than you do making any improvement. An old SBC always left you lots of room for improvement with the heads. The stock bottom end on your Gen III motor is good enough to live a long time. Just treat it to new gaskets and clean up the oil pickup screen. Plastigage the bearings and write down the specs for your notebook, but chances are it's probably good.

Best advice for you is to comb the forums and find out what similar people have been doing. Plan out your HP target and copy somebody's setup then work on making small improvements from there. Stick to a plan and you won't be wasting money and making headaches.

Quick Reply: Lq4 swap