Sponsored by:

Car moves when not in gear?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2017, 05:14 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post Car moves when not in gear?

02 Formula 6 spd

So today I was in traffic and the car was in neutral. The clutch wasn't pressed down. I decided to put in first gear with out pressing the clutch pedal. It wouldn't let me get in first (obviously), but the car moved forward slowly as I was attempting to put in gear.

Is this normal? I attempted the same thing on 2nd and 3rd, and the car still moves. Is it because the gear was slightly engaging?

Another thing worth mentioning is I can put in any gear (except for reverse) when the engine is off without pressing the pedal.
Old 02-02-2017, 09:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Are you on a very slight incline?
Old 02-03-2017, 04:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

How exactly did you plan to put the car in gear without pressing the clutch? You do know the engine is still spinning, right? The only thing here that's not normal is you.
Old 02-03-2017, 06:51 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by SouthernRex
Are you on a very slight incline?
No. The car didn't roll until I lightly push the shifter towards first gear.
Old 02-03-2017, 06:56 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 8.Lug
How exactly did you plan to put the car in gear without pressing the clutch? You do know the engine is still spinning, right? The only thing here that's not normal is you.
No intention specifically. I know the engine is running and the gears might engage slightly. Just want to know if that's normal when you attempt to shift without pressing down the pedal by accident.
Old 02-03-2017, 05:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLw0hAtOik4

I'm not trying to be mean, but do you understand how cars work through the transmission, and why you have a clutch in the first place, and gears etc? I wouldn't try launching without clutching, but pro drivers can match engine speed properly and not clutch when shifting. I don't recommend it without serious schooling, though.
Old 02-03-2017, 09:56 PM
Teching In

I'm not trying to be mean, but do you understand how cars work through the transmission, and why you have a clutch in the first place, and gears etc? I wouldn't try launching without clutching, but pro drivers can match engine speed properly and not clutch when shifting. I don't recommend it without serious schooling, though.
Did you read what I wrote? Like I said I was waiting in traffic (complete stop) and I wasn't going to move the car, however the car moved forward when I playing around the shifter without pressing the clutch.
Old 02-03-2017, 10:07 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sherron
Did you read what I wrote? Like I said I was waiting in traffic (complete stop) and I wasn't going to move the car, however the car moved forward when I playing around the shifter without pressing the clutch.
Every manual car I've had does the same. Sit at a stoplight, clutch disengaged, press slightly into gear, but not fully engaging anything( no grinding, not going into gear) and the car moves if you're on a level or very low grade. I believe you're probably slightly engaging the synchros - but i could be wrong.
Old 02-04-2017, 01:21 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 475 Likes on 354 Posts

but pro drivers can match engine speed properly and not clutch when shifting. I don't recommend it without serious schooling, though.
It's actually very easy to do, I'm far from a pro but rarely use the clutch except to take off and aggressive shifting.
OP watch this video and you'll understand what's going on, Basically your synchronizers are the cause for the movement. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgmxydwmtTg
Old 02-04-2017, 08:14 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by dmistretta
Every manual car I've had does the same. Sit at a stoplight, clutch disengaged, press slightly into gear, but not fully engaging anything( no grinding, not going into gear) and the car moves if you're on a level or very low grade. I believe you're probably slightly engaging the synchros - but i could be wrong.
Thank You! This is the answer I'm looking for.
Old 02-04-2017, 09:54 AM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

all manuals same u can also shift with out clutch lol but not in high rpm just little gas and it will place nicely from 2-3-4
Old 02-04-2017, 11:11 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 475 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by abbas461
all manuals same u can also shift with out clutch lol but not in high rpm just little gas and it will place nicely from 2-3-4
Really? Lets hear the technical reason behind this statement.

By the way you can shift without the clutch at high rpm also.

>
Old 02-07-2017, 08:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Sherron
02 Formula 6 spd

blah blah story time

Is this normal? I attempted the same thing on 2nd and 3rd, and the car still moves. Is it because the gear was slightly engaging?

Another thing worth mentioning is I can put in any gear (except for reverse) when the engine is off without pressing the pedal.
Yes that's normal for ALL manual transmissions. Basically you are beginning to get into gear by leaning on the synchros. Good way to wear synchros and forks prematurely.

As far as getting into reverse while engine is off.... reverse is blocked by the reverse SOLENOID. Meaning it needs electrical power to move the lockout.
Old 02-08-2017, 07:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I'll take ways to prematurely wear out your synchros for $500 Alex.

Quick Reply: Car moves when not in gear?