New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help Me Please! Calling All Ls1 Experts!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2004 | 08:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 99PontTA
i love it when someone mods their car ...then when its totally fkd up they wanna know why?????????......plus i wanna see any real adavantage to removing it ...plus it screws the factory tune.I hope you realize most of these trick of the week mods do NOTHING .Plus no egr and no cats means you are putting alot of crap out the tailpipes......no wonder the emission laws are getting super tough.....and i'll bet your car is NO FASTER than before you castrated the emissions system.........infact i'll bet its slower and uses more gas.
This isn't the right car or website forum for you if you are a tree-hugging hippy. You're right that removing emissions gear without taking the proper steps to prepare the computer for it is a pretty lackluster attempt at modding... but don't start posting about "putting a lot of crap out the tailpipes"

Anyway.............. ricethis98............

The computer basically doesn't know what is going on right now, and is running in what - for lack of a better phrase - equates to a self-defense mode... pulling timing, running rich, etc...

LS1edit will square you away. If the $500 cost of the program, or the $400-$500 cost of a tune is out of your range, maybe you should have considered that before you started pulling stuff off of an engine on a $30K car. Stuff is designed by engineeers, and is designed to work the way it is. I just don't get how people can start ripping stuff off an engine without considering what the consequences may be...

I have cats and AIR removed on my car as well... but I have the proper computer adjustments for it. Do your research BEFORE you mod, not after.
Old 06-25-2004 | 08:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

it does not cost $550 to remove egr, local shops here charge like $150 to remove EGR, AIR, CAGS, rear o2s, etc. you dont need a tune after removing the egr, most people remove it after getting race headers, it does not affect drivability at all, you messed something up on the install.
Old 06-25-2004 | 08:37 AM
Launching!

Different cars will react differently to some of these mods also. I removed my EGR and AIR at the same time I installed my headers. Seemed fine at first but I had problems down the road. From what I have been told too many error codes will cause the car to default to stock program which adjusts timing and will run rich. Another option for you may be a Diablo Predator programmer. You can delete codes and adjust timing and air/fuel mixture with it. You need to have someone who knows what they are doing do it though. I would get this fixed soon. Running too rich may foul up your O2 sensors (which happened to me). Anyways Predator isnt as good as LS1 edit, but its about $400 as opposed to $500 LS1 edit and $300-$1000 laptop to go with it. Good luck man.
Old 06-25-2004 | 08:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by hourang
it does not cost $550 to remove egr, local shops here charge like $150 to remove EGR, AIR, CAGS, rear o2s, etc. you dont need a tune after removing the egr, most people remove it after getting race headers, it does not affect drivability at all, you messed something up on the install.
That's good news for him then... I had that stuff removed at the same time I had a dyno tune done, so that's where I got the $400 pricetag from.
Old 06-25-2004 | 09:59 AM
On The Tree

Freaking crap, 99PontTA has issues. Removing the EGR will not hurt fuel efficency or performance. It will slightly help both, because pumping exhaust gas into your engine doesn't help with combustion much. Newer LS1s don't even have the system, so it obviously wasn't necessary.

About the guy who said removing EGR might cause engine overheating, is there any truth to that? I can't imagine why it would. If anything, I would think it would run cooler without the super-hot exhaust gases flowing back into it. Still though, overheating makes me nervous. What does everybody else think?

I plan on removing mine after I buy an editor. I'm thinking HP Tuner if it turns out to be cooler than LS1Edit, like I think it is.

By the way, can someone post a sticky about titling your post "Help me please" or other non-descriptive things that give you no idea what it is about or why you should read it. No offence to the guy who posted this one, this is the newbie folder after all.
Old 06-25-2004 | 10:44 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by elderon
Different cars will react differently to some of these mods also....
that sums it up right there. i took the EGR off of a friends 99 SS and blocked everything off after we did a MAC install,and it worked perfect with no problems to speak of.some cars like it,some dont.we'll look it over soon and see if we can find someone with LS1edit around here and have it programmed out.otherwise,i think brad its time to send your PCM out
oh yeah and to the tree hugger,just give me your car so i can finally have an LS1 of my own and you can get the hell out of f bodies.youre obviously a tard and dont deserve one

Last edited by LS1again; 06-25-2004 at 11:11 AM.
Old 06-25-2004 | 01:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

have you reset the pcm?? not sure if that would cause it but who knows.
Old 06-25-2004 | 02:28 PM
Restricted User

acctually removing the EGR CAN lower your gas milage by as much as 15% to let you know. Also the newer GM cars such as the ls1 with LS6 intake doesnt have egr becuase its got somthing i cant remember cross gas somthing i believe which does the same purpose as egr but in a different process.
Old 06-25-2004 | 02:38 PM
Banned

15%?? damn.... where did u hear that from??
Old 06-25-2004 | 03:12 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Originally Posted by robj
acctually removing the EGR CAN lower your gas milage by as much as 15% to let you know. Also the newer GM cars such as the ls1 with LS6 intake doesnt have egr becuase its got somthing i cant remember cross gas somthing i believe which does the same purpose as egr but in a different process.
man, its like the blind leading the blind . the reason for no egr on the 01-02 cars is because of the lq4 cam shaft which has more overlap. with the new cam gm didnt need an egr system to meet the same emissions standards
Old 06-25-2004 | 03:20 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by jrp
man, its like the blind leading the blind . the reason for no egr on the 01-02 cars is because of the lq4 cam shaft which has more overlap. with the new cam gm didnt need an egr system to meet the same emissions standards
Exactly, improved cats too I think.
Old 06-25-2004 | 03:32 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Originally Posted by steve2001sh
Exactly, improved cats too I think.
correct
Old 06-25-2004 | 03:47 PM
Banned

jrp
goat herder
Old 06-25-2004 | 03:58 PM
11 Second Club

i love it when someone mods their car ...then when its totally fkd up they wanna know why?????????......plus i wanna see any real adavantage to removing it ...plus it screws the factory tune.I hope you realize most of these trick of the week mods do NOTHING .Plus no egr and no cats means you are putting alot of crap out the tailpipes......no wonder the emission laws are getting super tough.....and i'll bet your car is NO FASTER than before you castrated the emissions system.........infact i'll bet its slower and uses more gas.
You're a ***! EVERYONE on this sight mods their car, sometimes things go wrong and this is what the sights all about. STFU!
Old 06-25-2004 | 04:16 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by INMY01TA
You're a ***! EVERYONE on this sight mods their car, sometimes things go wrong and this is what the sights all about. STFU!
Old 06-25-2004 | 04:17 PM
11 Second Club

You're a genious. lol
Old 06-25-2004 | 04:20 PM
Banned

You're a genious. lol
You're a genious. lol
Old 06-25-2004 | 04:37 PM
Banned

FACT...the EGR system does NOTHING at WOT.....FACT... removing the cats on a stock engine does NOTHING at WOT.................don't be morons read a little....now that you caused all these problems ...of course someone will be glad to lighten yer wallet 500 dollars to patch it half azz
Old 06-25-2004 | 04:44 PM
11 Second Club

FACT... removing the cats on a stock engine does NOTHING at WOT
Please elaborate Einstien.
Old 06-25-2004 | 04:53 PM
Staging Lane

Please elaborate Einstien.
yea what he said , cause removing the cats will make a diffrence at wot